Transmission Reverse problem - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Transmission Reverse problem

This might be my first trip to the dealer. Basically what happens is when shifting into reverse, it does not happen everytime but enough to make me never want to put it in reverse except for when the car is off, the gears grind. Yes, grind, that god awful sound of your gears geting destroyed. No matter how hard I push the clutch in or pull up on the reverse lock-out ring on the shifter, it grinds, even just after starting the engine before the car even moves. Anyone else have a similar problem? Or had the problem and found the reason? I guess it could be as easy as letting the car sit a few seconds after putting the clutch in, but either way I have never had a car do this to me before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:43 AM

Bet you have a clutch problem Get it documented for future SS owners. Take it to the dealer for eevry stupid thing that goes wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfocus
Bet you have a clutch problem Get it documented for future SS owners. Take it to the dealer for eevry stupid thing that goes wrong.
Yeah sounds like like a clutch but svtfocus you are right go to Chevy for every thing that goes wrong it absoutly right.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 PM

i know exactly what your talking about. I've had my ss for two weeks now and it dosent do it every time, but i would say 2 or 3 out of 5 times it grinds when putting it in reverse. its like you have to get it exactly right or else it grinds. i hate putting it in reverse around people or with people in the car bc it makes me looks amateurish, but there seems to be no way of avoiding it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCobalt
i know exactly what your talking about. I've had my ss for two weeks now and it dosent do it every time, but i would say 2 or 3 out of 5 times it grinds when putting it in reverse. its like you have to get it exactly right or else it grinds. i hate putting it in reverse around people or with people in the car bc it makes me looks amateurish, but there seems to be no way of avoiding it.
its ok. i wouild feel amatuerish to.. but dont worry what other poeple think. and i agree with who said to take it to the dealer every time something goes wrong. mine wasnt starting last week.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:18 PM

I've been having problems with 2nd gear, pops out sometimes when I let off the clutch. Today it popped out again, but this time it did not want to go back in. After 3 tries, I gave up and went back to 1st then to 3rd. About a block later I tried 2nd again and it's going in smooth now (for the time being, anyways).

This has been an ongoing problem that I've already been back to the dealer twice about with the dealer saying that they can not find anything wrong. I have to go out of town next week, but the following it's going to a different dealer. My SS already had 97 miles on it when I got it, and a guy in the parts department admitted he and a salesman took a traded-in Evo out and beat on it.

I really hate dealing with lawyers but if a Chevy dealer somewhere doesn't get my car running like it's brand new pretty soon (since it is!), then the original dealer is going to find themselves buying the car back from me.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via Yahoo to dervin3
I've just hit 3000 miles and I've only had one minor problem with sunroof button popping loose. I glued it back in and its solider(?) than ever.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM

I think I know exaclty what it is.... I have a 95' Eagle Talon TSI and mine did that every once and a while and I took it to three transmission places and they all said the same thing. Its a safty thing.... If your rolling and you go to put it in reverse its ganna try not letting you go into gear so its ganna make the grinding sounds. But if your completely stopped it will go in just fine. So test this out....be completely stopped when putting it in gear and tell me what happens. Hope I was some help.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriFri11
I think I know exaclty what it is.... I have a 95' Eagle Talon TSI and mine did that every once and a while and I took it to three transmission places and they all said the same thing. Its a safty thing.... If your rolling and you go to put it in reverse its ganna try not letting you go into gear so its ganna make the grinding sounds. But if your completely stopped it will go in just fine. So test this out....be completely stopped when putting it in gear and tell me what happens. Hope I was some help.
There is no way of knowing when or where it will do it. I never shift into reverse when I am moving, only when at a stand still. I have had it do it just after starting the car. Gonna take it in as soon as I can find the time.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:24 PM

My reverse only grinded (slightly) once. But, I've only had it for two days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode