Black smoke - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Black smoke

ok, ive been having this problem for a while now. I bought my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC in may with 18k on it. When the car is sitting still and you lightly tap the gas to rev it blows out black smoke from the exhaust pipe for a sec (im not talking about anything anywhere near redline either). I have been told from people following me that it puts out black smoke while i drive under normal driving too.

I had this checked at my local dealership and they told me that its normal for these motors when you get near redline to expell some black smoke, but i dont have to be near redline at all (I tried to explain). They said they had an updated reflash for my car that might help, so they did it but I dont think it helped any. So what do you think is wrong and what should I do?

Also my car has a Borla Cat-Back exhaust and a K&N drop-in filter if that matters

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM

sounds like your cat needs replaced to me..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input, i will have to get that checked out. I am still open to any other ideas anyone has, i want this fixed so i can get the stage 2 kit without being worried that something big is wrong with it.

I also forgot to mention that my car has about 23k on it now, and the exhaust has been on for about 3k and the K&N filter has been on for about 1k. The smoking has been happenning for quite some time now, though (not exactly sure when though).

Again, thanks for the help
Chris

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 PM

well buddy I dont know what to tell you on the black smoke but I own a 2006 Cobalt ss/sc with a stage 2 kit,GMPP Exhaust,Honed manifold, and injen cold air intake! My car smokes just like you are talking about! Since day one may I add! and to add to this my buddy just bought a 2007 cobaltss/sc that is completly stock and does the same thing!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Dude, i got an 07 sc and it does the same, only have 7500km on it, and my friends have been telling about it for a while. i made an app. at the dealer, my friend thinks it may be a piston ring and its burning oil, and yes, it is low on oil, about 0.7L in 2500 km. im pretty worried about it, i have injen CAI and a high flow muffler. im waiting until it gets fixed to get stage 2.
have you guys heard any more on this problem?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Same problem here and it stinks. I think it started doing this when my stage 2 got installed...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:52 PM

could it be something with the injectors? something must not be burning right, maybe a bit of oil blow by. when i get to operating temp. (around 80c) then it seems okay.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Contributing User

runs rich. My friends have always commented on it too. I never worried, although it was a lease...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mine is still smoking even after the updated version reflash. Also i was following the girl that lives a block away from me home the other day who also has a supercharged cobalt, I seen that hers was smoking black smoke too. So i wonder if this is really a problem or is it just they way GM built these cars. Its kinda stupid if its normal cause when someone sees a nice car like a SS/SC cobalt they arent expecting to see it smoking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM

it is not something to worry about it normal sssc run rich so you don't burn a piston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode