Handbreak : Problem Or Not ? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Handbreak : Problem Or Not ?

hi i got a chevrolet cobalt ss 2007 2 door manual tranny... sometimes i wanna have fun like everybody does when theres snow on the roads so i pull the handbreak when i turn a corner and its like if i wasnt pulling it...but if i park somewhere where the road goes down the car doesnt move also when i go backards the handbrake works !!! i just got my car this summer from dealer and it was brand new! so does anyone here knows if my handbreake is [email protected] or is there a safety from dealer so the wheel wont break while driving ???

id love to have a fast reply
thanks alot
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltssqc View Post
...is there a safety from dealer so the wheel wont break while driving ???

Well Joe, feel free to correct me, but I believe the purpose of that "handbrake" is mainly for emergency situations, hence the term emergency brake. If there is a safety from the dealer so that the wheel won't brake, that would not make for a very good emergency brake, would it? The amount of force needed to keep a stopped car from rolling is minimal. The amount of force needed to lock up tires running at 5-45mph is substantial. Your emergency brake is going out just like my tires are going bald. We rag on them, and they eventually need to be replaced.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrySS View Post
Well Joe, feel free to correct me, but I believe the purpose of that "handbrake" is mainly for emergency situations, hence the term emergency brake. If there is a safety from the dealer so that the wheel won't brake, that would not make for a very good emergency brake, would it? The amount of force needed to keep a stopped car from rolling is minimal. The amount of force needed to lock up tires running at 5-45mph is substantial. Your emergency brake is going out just like my tires are going bald. We rag on them, and they eventually need to be replaced.

you are right about sayin that it is for emergency but my friend has the exact same one but in a different color and it works perfectly like i want it to....and when i went at the garage dealer, they lent me one and it was working also

thanks
Joe

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Last year I was parked a hill and I pulled my e brake and everything seemed fine until I stepped out of the car It started to roll. No damage at that time. A few weeks later I was heading home when someone pulls in front of me all of a sudden and my brakes seemed really stiff. I pulled my e brake and the wires snapped. I was not going any faster then 15 mph. I took it to the dealership and they adjusted the ebrake wire 3 times. I called GM and spoke to them about the situation and GM said that it was up to me to pay for repairs and no one have ever had this problem before.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

that's exactly what I'm sayin, when mine's in the shop and I get a LS the ebrake is awesome, but mine won't work either. It snowed at my house today, and I can't slide. I took it in to the dealer, they said they cleaned all the parts, but mine even rolls when I park it, and the dealer won't do anything about it. I can sit my car out of gear with the parking break on, and push it. I know what your saying, and if I can figure out how to fix it I'll let you know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Contributing User

I tightened my hand brake some. I've never really driven with it. Trying to get in the habit of using it while driving. but tightening it just a little bit definately helped
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributing User

^^^what he said. Pull off the ebrake handle, then the center cover around the ebrake. Then use a deep 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive rachet and you can adjust the brake so that the handle requires less pressure to engage.

I had a similar problem with my wife's car when we first bought it. I told her to take it to the dealer and have it warrantied. She had less than 100 miles on the odometer. They told her the same crap. I, later, took it in to the dealer and they said everything was fine and they couldn't do anything. If they did then the rear pads would rub on the rotors, warp them, and we would have to pay for repairs. I happened to have a set of socket wrenches in the trunk at the time, so I said I'd show him how to do it as long as they didn't void the warranty. They said okay, so I did this for them right in the service bay with some of the service writers and techs watching. It took about 10 minutes total. Now, whenever my wife or I bring our cars in the shop and tell them what the issue is they don't argue and just get to work on it.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to WICKED
have you guys every thought its cuz of FWD?

also the 'parking brake' on our cars only locks the driver side back tire =(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Contributing User

I know that in my situation it had nothing to do with the fact that is fwd. I've owned all types, i.e., front engine/rwd, mid-engine/rwd, front engine/fwd.

07 Tahoe LT

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1S1o03 View Post
have you guys every thought its cuz of FWD?

also the 'parking brake' on our cars only locks the driver side back tire =(
On every car I've ever seen the 'parking brake,' 'emergency brake,' 'hand brake,' ect, has always only worked on the rear wheels.

One thing I thought was really neat on my old 280zx was it had 4 wheel disc brakes, but had independent drum brakes on the rear just for the hand brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode