18 Gunmetal Grey Wheel Decay? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

18 Gunmetal Grey Wheel Decay?

I'm having 'chipping' problems with my 06 (32K miles) gunmetal wheels. All four wheels are showing signs of corrosion. Never hit a curb and never use anything to clean them except soap and water. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to do a "one-time replacement." However, they also noted that this problem will re-occur with the new wheels if I drive them in the winter. (Michigan roads) They say that the wheels are not "all season." I've contacted GM customer care and emphasized that there should be a permenant fix to this problem -not just a temporary band-aid. Anyone else having this problem? I'll keep you posted w/ the result from GMCC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ssspeed
What exactly does the corrosion look like? I have an 06 wih polished wheels and the wheels have black spots on them. I just recently purchased the car and i was wondering if that was corrosion or if the previous owner painted tried to paint them or something
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssspeed View Post
What exactly does the corrosion look like? I have an 06 wih polished wheels and the wheels have black spots on them. I just recently purchased the car and i was wondering if that was corrosion or if the previous owner painted tried to paint them or something

The corrosion looks like small specs of white. It is 'flaky' to the touch- and with your fingernail could remove more of the finish. The largest spot is about the size of a nickle. The dealer gave me a service bulletin regarding the proper cleaning care for polished and other wheels. It also described a process of removing small 'spotted' areas.....u may want to give that a try....if your dealer doesnt have the bulletin.....I'll post it (along with pics of the corrosion if I can). Good luck to ya.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 AM

Yea if you could post the bulletin that would be great. I work at a chevy dealer so im going to see what they say about it. Ill let you know anything that i find out. Thanks a lot.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I took a few pics....damn camera wont focus correctly, but I think you can see what is happening to the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1928.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1929.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1930.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1411  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM

I have never seen anything like that. And the dealer said thats typical on those wheels?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Actually they're comment was ' if you (I) keep doing whatever it is you are doing to them....the problem will reoccur.' The worst thing I have done to them is used a power washer (from a distance)- no wheel cleaner, no curb rash, no harsh chemicals (except road salt)..... hand washed at least every 2 weeks (no auto-washes). I guess I'll just have to put a heavy coat of wax on the wheels through the winter to hopefully help.

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!?? I cant believe I'm the only one!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM

i am having problems with my rims on my lt cobalt the clear is coming offf ,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM

I actually yesterday took a close look at my four wheels and i having some chipping on each of the wheels as well. the gunmetal is chipping off like yours is that you show in the pictures. I think the salt they put down on the roads during the winter is the main cause of the corrosion.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssspeed View Post
I actually yesterday took a close look at my four wheels and i having some chipping on each of the wheels as well. the gunmetal is chipping off like yours is that you show in the pictures. I think the salt they put down on the roads during the winter is the main cause of the corrosion.

I agree, but I think that the salt situation should have been considered. Other cars have wheels that have been through MANY winters/ salt and are having no such problem. Chev. should either tell buyers that the wheel is not made for the winter or FIND A BETTER WHEEL to put on thier 'high end' cobalt..... not just tell them that they should go out and buy a winter set of wheels.

For now I'm somewhat happy.... I've got new wheels that look nice. Lets hope that they survive the winter and that I'm just as happy next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode