Getting off to a hiccupy start. - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Getting off to a hiccupy start.

I have been having a problem occasionally when I am shifting into 1st gear especially, it happens especially when I am easy on the gas trying to get off to a slow roll kind of start.

While I am holding at the friction point the car will feel like it has caught so I start to release the clutch. The car will start to jump as if I were flooring it then releasing the gas and repeating. I have noticed it in a few gears (but mostly just 1st), and I know they are poor shifts but this seems to be exaggerated from what I am used to.

I have to this point always driven Hydraulic Clutch cars (I believe this is an electronic clutch, correct?) so I am used to the clutch catching right when you let up the clutch pedal not halfway through.

As of now I am not too concerned about it, I'm just figuring I'm getting used to the new clutch type. Is this normal for the car or should I be concerned about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM

I kinda went through the same thing when i first started driving mine. It just takes some getting used to. The clutch in our cars suck as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Ok that's good. Cuz I was driving an auto Blazer before that for about a year and when I 1st started I was like, "Damn, I forgot how to drive a stick!" If I were to upgrade to a performance clutch would it solve that or would it still do it? Is it the clutch itself or the other components that are cheap?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM

It will probably still do it but not as bad, and you will get alot better power transfer to the wheels. I believe its just the clutch, but if you get a high perf. clutch, i would definetely upgrade the flywheel and all that. I haven't had to many probs with mine, but it did slip a couple times when I was racing. I have 15k on it
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
the new clutch will help, i know when i first started to drive my car it would do the same thing. but it was the first time i have ever driven a clutch too. after you get used to driving the car it shouldnt jump anymore, are you not giving it the right amount of gas as your letting the clutch go?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Yeah, that's it because I'm trying to get off to a slower start I'm giving it less gas. I have driven many stick cars before and if I had done the same on them then it wouldn't have acted weird at all. It sounds like it's a common problem people have had while adjusting to this car so I'll just give myself a little more time to adjust.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea dude thats all you need. not all cars are made them same, so just keep working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode