Cobalts SS banner

intercooler is vulnerable

12K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  RedSStreak 
#1 ·
To all 09 SS/TC owners: be very careful when going over bumps, dips, and steep driveways or you will crack your intercooler! You may have to slow down to idle speed and/or go across at an angle.
This results in loss of boost pressure, loss of power, and may cause the car to idle poorly or stall completely. The warranty won't cover it, (because its damage, not a manufacturing defect) and insurance will but its marked down as an at-fault accident, even though its not an accident. It's really a design flaw. I told the dealer this and told them they need to report it to GM.
I wish I had done something about it after the first time. That's right, it happened to me twice and at least one other member has mentioned it. The roads in my area are designed poorly, but I thought if I drove carefully it wouldn't happen again.
My plan is if GM doesn't issue a recall, (not likely) I will either get an after market intercooler that is mounted above the front crossmember, or weld on some steel pieces to hang down. I'd rather bounce off a steel bar than my intercooler again.
Does anyone know where or to who at GM I can send a nasty letter about this? I want nothing less than for GM to issue a recall, and it would be nice if they will refund my $1500.

#2 ·
It should be covered under warrenty as long as there in no impact damage to the intercooler. If you go over a bump and the intercooler cracks that is a manufacturing defect. Gm didnt properly isolate the intercooler from the chasis. Now if you ran the front of the car over a curb and the curb physically hit the intercooler causing it to bend or crack, that would not be
warrenty. The dealership probably wont call gm for this issure. You should call the gm customer service line and tell them your issue.

#4 ·
skoal*boy, how high does your intercooler sit? Mine is 7.5 inches from the ground. The front fascia and frame member are both 7 inches, but won't do anything to protect the intercooler if the road is steep enough. It looks to me like I could shorten the pipes and move the whole thing up.
Thanks for the help. I don't want to order anything just yet, because they never show just how things fit in the vehicle.

#7 ·
Wait just a sec you spent $1500???? Fuck me that's alot. Crazy Steve's are like $250, Synapse are $450. But back to the topic, I would have a shop fabricate a diamond plate skid plate, that would look sick (and be efficient).

#8 ·
yea but GM might cause a fuss because of an aftermarket intercooler. Just like everyone that has a tune should take it off before going to the dealership. As far as i know its pretty easy to pull the tune. And i was told GM cant tell how many tunes have been on there unless the dealership has to send in the ECU

#9 ·
^^True true, they deff could make a fuss. My tune is undetectable by GM tech2s.' It is detectable if they send off the ECM, but here in WV that's not likely to happen. It's all who you know in this world.

#12 ·
So a FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER is a design flaw how? Because it can get damaged? That is the price you pay for a FMIC lmao....If you dont like it, you shouldnt of purchased a car w/ one, or every upgrade a car to one. There is no design flaw, or is there an issue. I took a rock into mine.....Things happen, but I would rather have my "performance" and replaced w/ a Synapse for all of 450, and about 2 hours of my time......

#13 ·
I don't think it's a design flaw either, I live in West Virginia and haven't hurt mine yet, we have some of the worst roads out there too.

#14 ·
I never had a problem with mine either, but you never know. And like boosted4dr said he took a rock in his without a problem. but now what if you hit that rock alittle bit harder put a small hole on the cold side and get some dirt in there? Somethings going to get messed up.

Like i said i never had a problem with mine but i wanted to get it upgreaded becasue i didnt want that to become a problem. I payed $250 for mine and sold my stock one for $90

There is no design flaw, besides the fact that its cheaply made

#15 ·
Wow...if you can break an intercooler 7" off the ground, God know what else you've smashed up...might want to check your alignment...

#17 ·
Yeah, I understand but...whenever I see a car parked with it's bumpers up and over a curb, I think to myself..."this guy ain't ever going to touch my cars" LOL...usually this kind of skill set comes with wheels rashes too...

#26 ·
Haha!

Oh, I learned that my car being lowered is bad on huge speed bumps. And I broke the front splitter one time at an autocross meet. (running over a cone) :D And the sad thing is, I was not alone! A Subi STI did the same at the exact turn that I did.

But that is the price you pay for having fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.