Cobalt SS/SC internals vs an SRT-4 internals - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Cobalt SS/SC internals vs an SRT-4 internals

I'm thinking about buying a cobalt SS/SC but I read there interals are only good to about roughly 300 horse. What about the interals of a SRT-4? How much horsepower can they had before they become unstable? Cause 300 is not alot of horse before I have to go in and change things internally. That might change my mind about buying a cobalt. Do you guys and gals understand where I'm coming from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:20 PM

A COMPLETELY stock SRT-4 engine will hold around 500-550fwhp before it gives. There is a video of Steve Anderson's car floating around the net where he was at about 560fwhp when his engine blew making a pass down the track. I am not sure about Cobalts though, someone needs to push it to the limit to find out though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blab10
A COMPLETELY stock SRT-4 engine will hold around 500-550fwhp before it gives. There is a video of Steve Anderson's car floating around the net where he was at about 560fwhp when his engine blew making a pass down the track. I am not sure about Cobalts though, someone needs to push it to the limit to find out though.
If someone would sponsor me for a new crate motor and I had that new motor in my garage waiting for me I would be more than happy and increase HP till it blows and hand over that blown motor so the could do a optopsy.

One hundred cobalt drivers shell over $30 each may cover my expenses but I retain any performance parts that survive that I put in.

ANy takers for research sake.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

That's what I"m talking about it sounds like it would be better for me to get an SRT-4, because it can handles alot more power without having to be torn apart. What is yalls opinion? I don't want something that after I put hundred horse into and then have to worry about it blowing up. Do get me wrong I love the Cobalt but now I'm in question. What is some of yall's opinion on this?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Once you replace the rods you can up it to 450 before needing to port the heads. The block itself is good to over 1000, along with the crank. The rods are the weak part at going around 300-320 or so, then the heads at 450 and I believe the pistons around 600...but thats all under PSI of course. There are some numbers floating around that GM did just to see what they could do, and the block and crank were never replaced (they stopped after 1000 HP).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 PM

The LSJ already has the upgraded rods according to the gm build book. Heres the 250 - 400 build book link that has some great info....
build book pdf
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerweed
That's what I"m talking about it sounds like it would be better for me to get an SRT-4, because it can handles alot more power without having to be torn apart. What is yalls opinion? I don't want something that after I put hundred horse into and then have to worry about it blowing up. Do get me wrong I love the Cobalt but now I'm in question. What is some of yall's opinion on this?
The 2.0 LSJ has all forged components except for the pistons themselves, we havent had enough available mods yet to see what it takes to blow a hole in one though. There is a twincharger kit coming out soon though that will cost less that the big turbo srt4 kit and run right with them. Its up to you wat you want but the ecotec is about to run with the big dogs.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I know the ecotec is a good engine I have one in my wife's 03 Grand AM. I think its the only good thing on the car. I like the Cobalt SS/SC better for 2 reason it's styling, and cause a kid that lives around me has a SRT-4. He is always driving by my house revving his car. Because I have a freind with a 300zx na and the guy in the SRT-4 likes messing with him. So that right there makes me not want to get an SRT-4. But if I got one and beat him he would probably shut up. That's why I want the Cobalt more. Cause it would piss him off. Plus I just think the Cobalt is a beatiful car.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah thanks for that info clevelander2002 it was helpful. But I would like to know what the forged steel rods can handle. The only thing about that article is they don't talk much about the 2.0 LSJ motor
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all of your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode