1 Year of Ass-Kickery - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
1 Year of Ass-Kickery

That's right, it's the day you've all been waiting for... the one-year anniversary of the day I bought my mack-mobile.

Well, that was yesterday. I was too busy making love to my car in the form of going fast to nowhere in particular to post anything. But now that I'm spent, here's what I think of the car thus far:

ODOMETER: 9811 MI.

PERFORMANCE
This car has done nothing but impress me from the moment I learned how to keep it from stalling. I beat the ever-living piss out of it day in and day out and it does nothing but deliver. It's taken to mods very well, and despite the tune-less pulley and CAI, I've yet to receive a CEL. And most importantly, a lot of people on the northside of Chicago know to look out for the Red Rocket, or as I lovingly call it, The Show. Here's my list of notable races, both W's and L's.

Wins
1. 2002 or '03 Mustang GT (I didn't win, but I didn't lose, so )
2. Previous generation Golf GTI
3. EVO IX (Guy obviously didn't know what he was doing, but I'll take it. )
4. Late model Prelude (Had to shut my buddy up)
5. Early model Golf GTI (2 out of 3)

Losses
1. Infiniti G35
2. Dodge SRT-4 (3rd gear = death)

MAINTENANCE
Nothing out of the ordinary here. Just tire rotations and oil changes.

WEAR AND TEAR
Being the top of the line model doesn't change the fact that it's still an econobox, and I knew that before I started looking. I knew this would be the case in whatever I ended up buying (seeing as how they're all econoboxes, too). So I'll mention the annoying rattle that sounds like it's coming from behind the driver's seat (and I still can't find the source of despite literally months of looking) as well as the chipping paint on the door panel, but I won't complain about it.

The car is also not a tank, which I found out less than two months after owning my car (something I don't think I've mentioned on here before). While going through and s-turn (all one-way) that's designed for you to go through it at about 20 MPH (in one lane), I decided to see how fast I could take it, seeing as about 2 cars pass through there every half hour. I found out it wasn't much more than those 20 MPH, and BAM! Curb action. Not only did I scrape the lip right in front of the wheel, but I also scraped the hell out of the wheel. As if that wasn't enough, I cracked the spindle and bent the hell out of my rack-and-pinion. The wheel, spindle, and rack-and-pinion were all fixed roughly $2200 later. This was all done by my mechanic buddy without the knowledge of my dealership or insurance company.

There is also a healthy amount of paint scraping on the rear bumper, none of which was actually my fault. In the right corner of the rear bumper is a series of scrapes from someone in a parking garage at my school while I was in class (surprise!). Right above my license plate is a small, but deep, scrape from when I let my brother drive and he slowly backed into my mom's truck, and one of the screws from the license plate bracket did a nice number on my bumper.

Other than the rattling and the paint, my car is in tip-top shape, and is more than what I could have expected. Despite the hell that I put it through, the car has done nothing but do as I ask and quickly rebound when it doesn't.

Here's to another year of ass-kickery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedashow

That's right, it's the day you've all been waiting for... the one-year anniversary of the day I bought my mack-mobile.

Well, that was yesterday. I was too busy making love to my car in the form of going fast to nowhere in particular to post anything. But now that I'm spent, here's what I think of the car thus far:

ODOMETER: 9811 MI.

PERFORMANCE
This car has done nothing but impress me from the moment I learned how to keep it from stalling. I beat the ever-living piss out of it day in and day out and it does nothing but deliver. It's taken to mods very well, and despite the tune-less pulley and CAI, I've yet to receive a CEL. And most importantly, a lot of people on the northside of Chicago know to look out for the Red Rocket, or as I lovingly call it, The Show. Here's my list of notable races, both W's and L's.

Wins
1. 2002 or '03 Mustang GT (I didn't win, but I didn't lose, so )
2. Previous generation Golf GTI
3. EVO IX (Guy obviously didn't know what he was doing, but I'll take it. )
4. Late model Prelude (Had to shut my buddy up)
5. Early model Golf GTI (2 out of 3)

Losses
1. Infiniti G35
2. Dodge SRT-4 (3rd gear = death)

MAINTENANCE
Nothing out of the ordinary here. Just tire rotations and oil changes.

WEAR AND TEAR
Being the top of the line model doesn't change the fact that it's still an econobox, and I knew that before I started looking. I knew this would be the case in whatever I ended up buying (seeing as how they're all econoboxes, too). So I'll mention the annoying rattle that sounds like it's coming from behind the driver's seat (and I still can't find the source of despite literally months of looking) as well as the chipping paint on the door panel, but I won't complain about it.

The car is also not a tank, which I found out less than two months after owning my car (something I don't think I've mentioned on here before). While going through and s-turn (all one-way) that's designed for you to go through it at about 20 MPH (in one lane), I decided to see how fast I could take it, seeing as about 2 cars pass through there every half hour. I found out it wasn't much more than those 20 MPH, and BAM! Curb action. Not only did I scrape the lip right in front of the wheel, but I also scraped the hell out of the wheel. As if that wasn't enough, I cracked the spindle and bent the hell out of my rack-and-pinion. The wheel, spindle, and rack-and-pinion were all fixed roughly $2200 later. This was all done by my mechanic buddy without the knowledge of my dealership or insurance company.

There is also a healthy amount of paint scraping on the rear bumper, none of which was actually my fault. In the right corner of the rear bumper is a series of scrapes from someone in a parking garage at my school while I was in class (surprise!). Right above my license plate is a small, but deep, scrape from when I let my brother drive and he slowly backed into my mom's truck, and one of the screws from the license plate bracket did a nice number on my bumper.

Other than the rattling and the paint, my car is in tip-top shape, and is more than what I could have expected. Despite the hell that I put it through, the car has done nothing but do as I ask and quickly rebound when it doesn't.

Here's to another year of ass-kickery.

You lucky bastard!

My car has been in the shop for a variety of things. All total it has spent about 5 weeks in the dealer lot either waiting on a part or waiting on diagnostic work to be done.

Congrats man! I hope it continues to treat you well for as long as you own it

2006 Cobalt SS/SC Silver,G85, all factory options
GM Sport Pedals,GM Arm Rest, GMPP Stage 2 w/2.9 Pulley. DC Front Strut Tower Bar, Bwoody Rear Bar, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Ingalls TQ Dampner, TTR rear sway bar, AEM Dryflow CAI, 1 range colder NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums, ZZP dual pass intercooler, Lingenfelter thermastat, Vibrant Header/Downpipe.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Site Moderator

What did the other one-year folk have to say about their car at the one-year point?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM

hey joedashow, i beleive i know what that rattle is...

On your back window, you have two black plastic cubes which are covering your rear window defrosters. The black cubes cover the wiring and crap to make it look pretty. Unfortunently the cubes are cheapily made and tend to come loose and/or fall of. So I imagine they came lose and are rattling. They only seem to do it in cold weather for some odd reason.....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Site Moderator

Maybe, but this rattle seems pretty loud for just a plastic cube. That, and it rattles regardless of temperature. Seems to be right near my head, but I never see anything. I'll check it out anyway.

I'm gonna be hauling a couple of buddies around tomorrow, so I'll have them listen for it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedashow
Maybe, but this rattle seems pretty loud for just a plastic cube. That, and it rattles regardless of temperature. Seems to be right near my head, but I never see anything. I'll check it out anyway.

I'm gonna be hauling a couple of buddies around tomorrow, so I'll have them listen for it.
I forgot to tell them to listen for it.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributing User

odometer 9811 miles

try this: bought my car with 11 miles on it, last june. just passed 31,500 miles yesterday

i drive alot lol

oh and that's not including the 15,000+ miles that i put on my motorcycles since then too
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Hey, joe. I have the same rattle. It's the door lock. Mine does it on both sides, passenger and driver. To check this, while your driving, push against the door panel, RIGHT BELOW the lock mechanism. The rattle should go away. I havn't taken mine in to get it fixed, but i think i'll call them tommarow about it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing User

i've had my ls for just over a year. 21k and a couple of little rattles, but everything has been pretty good. i did have the blower motor replaced because it was loud on low speed, but other than that, nothing bad to report. the car is well fit.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbles
Hey, joe. I have the same rattle. It's the door lock. Mine does it on both sides, passenger and driver. To check this, while your driving, push against the door panel, RIGHT BELOW the lock mechanism. The rattle should go away. I havn't taken mine in to get it fixed, but i think i'll call them tommarow about it.
That makes enough sense. I'll have to check when I go out in the afternoon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode