Cobalts SS banner

Last Chevy Cobalt to Roll Off Production Line This Week

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Mentalm 
#1 ·

With nearly one million models sold in six years, the last Chevrolet Cobalt will roll off the production line this week. The Cobalt has been manufactured at GM's Lordstown assembly plant since its launch in 2004 but was never attained the success of the Cavalier it replaced. An uncompetitive vehicle compared to segment leaders like the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, Chevy at least churned out a badass Cobalt SS in 2008 making 260-hp and 260 ft-lbs of torque. That model was rated at 5.5 seconds to 60 mph and could even run a 13.9 second quater mile.

But not even a Car & Driver comparo that proved the Cobalt SS could lap VIR faster than a Mitsubishi EVO, (not to mention a Lexus IS-F, Audi S5, Honda S2000, Subaru WRX STI or Lotus Elise SC) could win the Cobalt any respect.

The Cobalt is set to be replaced by GM's latest compact car effort, the Cruze, which is larger, considerably more refined and significantly more fuel efficient.

More: Last Chevy Cobalt to Roll Off Production Line This Week on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#4 ·
sigh........ I remember when they axed the Monte Carlo, the GTO, the Camaro.....

You just knew the Camaro would come back, but I don't think the Cobalt will........ a Monte Carlo reappearence is slightly possible.........

#8 ·
If they honestly think that the Cobalt is a car not to be continued as far as production goes, well, there isn't much that a few members can do about it. It requires more than that to bring them back like a group effort. That is how the Camaro was brought back....

There is soooo much that GM did right with the Cobalt that I don't see why its getting phased so quickly.... Every day, I see more and more brothers to McLovin cruisin' on the freeway, zippin' on the street. Or just resting at home waiting to go on that big trip or grocery run. I can say that the Cobalt has a bullet proof motor, guaranteed to last 200k without maintenance as long as you don't fool with the engine or neglect it.

So sad that it will fall into the pit where the Camaro once sat. Waiting for those that remember or prize the model that they still hold on to and request a revival of such a well built car.

Now a moment of silence**************************************

Thank you! :)

#9 ·
We have watched as GM execs writhed in agony regarding where to set their sextant heading for the future. In total agreement with you, COBALT SS/TC-they will live to regret going for sheer market share boredom in the small "family" segment alone.
Afterall the definition of the word A-gony is how they have behaved...

Will continue with my daily driver turned weekend warrior at the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.