Cobalt SS in Winter - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Cobalt SS in Winter

Hey,
I want a Cobalt SS however, I have a few questions first. I live in Maine on the border of Maine and Canada. We get lots of snow between November and March. I was just wondering how many of you use a Cobalt SS in the snow? Would it be decent in the snow with some snow tires? Does it have enough ground clearance to make it through driveways that may have 3-5 inches of snow? Also, there are moose accidents here once in a while. I would like a truck for the safety in a crash, is the Cobalt SS decent in crashes from what you have heard?

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to BlackDragonSS Send a message via MSN to BlackDragonSS Send a message via Skype™ to BlackDragonSS
Well Sir. I own one and They are pretty good cars in the snow if you put all season tires on them. I reccomend Falken tires. Others would Suggest Yokohama or Pirelli tires. Cobalt had pretty good crash ratings. But if you wanna know more I would suggest reading the consumer automotive report. Or you could find that out through other various sources.

"

The Skinny:
1980 Chevy Malibu
229 cu. in. V6 (don't judge)
3 spd. Saginaw
15 in. Rally wheels.
Mismatched paint.
A little rust.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Well i'll tell you now i've owned both an SS/SC and a SS/TC and both do pretty good in snow with stock tires. As far as clearance they only have about 3 maybe 3.5 inches of clearance in the front. When it comes to crashes they are pretty good, I rolled my SS/SC and the passanger side held up fine, but the driver got fucked, I have pics but can't post them yet, i'll send them if you want

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Contributing User

All season tires are, at best, a compromise in all seasons...get real snow tires that are softer compound and have sipes to grip ice/snow...

2009 SS/TC full bolt-ons, Trifecta 23psi tune...
Famous last words..."I'm just going to change the wheels and tires...I promise"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Ok, take the average height of the ruts during the winter months, if you miss the ruts and ice on the main avenues of travel then you can put the fascia or lip on the car. If you are scraping or are really close, do not add any body work as this will get ripped of in the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode