Thinking about buying a Cobalt SS - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a Cobalt SS

Hello everyone, I am thinking about buying a used cobalt SS. The one I am looking at right now is an 06' manual without the supercharger. I am not really into all the accessories or anything. I just like the simple sporty look with some speed. I was just wondering how the SS model without the supercharger is. Is there anything I should look out for. What are your thoughts on this model for someone who doesnt need an extremely fast car but still wants something fun. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Contributing User

Uhhh....if your looking at an 06 cobalt SS with NO supercharger it's NOT an SS...they ALL have superchargers if it's an SS...someone is lying to you....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

06' ss

I am kind of knew to the SS but I have been searching around a little. I have seen many that say they have a supercharger and that also come with the bigger spoiler. Not sure if that is an option with the supercharger package. Here is the specifications from motortrend.com if it is supercharged I dont see where it says it. And the 2SS says it is supercharged.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 1SS Coupe Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
-
2,384 cc 2.4 liters in-line 4 front engine with 88 mm bore, 98 mm stroke, 10.4 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder LE5
-
Unleaded fuel 87
-
Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 34 and EPA city (mpg): 25
-
Multi-point injection fuel system
-
13 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
-
Power: 128 kW , 171 HP SAE @ 6,200 rpm; 163 ft lb , 221 Nm @ 5,000 rpm

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/...#ixzz0kpWm2bsv

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Contributing User

maybe i'm wrong X.X
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributing User

I didnt realize they had teh whole 1ss 2ss bullcrap
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Contributing User

but anyway...with no supercharger...its going to be FAR from fast...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM

I had a 2007 SS with the 2.4L and no supercharger. In reality...it's not a fast car. Like it'll beat sunfires and stock civics. It might hang with some stock V6 cars, but it's definitely not anything to shake a stick at. For me, to really pass people on the highway (especially in the mountains since i live close to the rockies) I'd have to drop from 5th to 3rd. If it's just a car to get around then yeah, it's a pretty solid car with some decent power.

It's pretty good on gas. It used only a little bit less than the SS/TC I have now. The engine is pretty durable but obviously try and check for any kind of leak. Punch the thr***le and take note of any smoke coming out the back (black = running rich, lots of white = burning coolant, blueish = burning oil). Check that all the gears are everything are running smooth. The tranny on this car isn't really beefy, but it's adequate for what the car puts out. The clutch is a little spongy but it should feel solid when it's totally engaged.

Go over some bumps and listen for suspension squeaks or any kind of weird behavior. Visually check the shocks for any kind of leakage (at 4 years old it's not too uncommon, but it gives you an idea of what you may need to replace in the near future). Also, when you drive and press the brakes, check for steering wheel wobble or pedal pulsation. I know mine really liked to develop warped rotors.

Other than that I can't think of anything. All of the stuff I mentioned is pretty much just the usual procedure. The only issue I really had with that car is the brake rotors warping every year or so and a squeaky shock. I never had any drivetrain issues. I believe there is a recall to get the power steering pump replaced so you should take advantage of that if you get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode