more car care questions. - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Garage
more car care questions.

ive been using turtle wax ice car wash / interiror care *really like this product not the spray fourm.* the wheel cleaner and tire shine. for the past month or so. havnt done the first wax job yet but getting rdy to do it .

question 1 - should i clay my car befor its first polish / wax job it doesnt feel very ruff. some spots more than other but not so much that the paint job sounds like sand papper just yet.

question 2 - should i stick with ice products for this as in when i do need to clay get there clay bar which kinda confuses me. they sell the kit that has the bar the lub and the liquid clay ?? whats the point of the liquid clay? and use ice car polish / paste wax / quick spray detailer on top of the paste wax? ( not a fan of liquid wax"

cause ive been told 2 diffrent things by friends and fellow car nuts. alot of em say ice is the gr8est thing ever made while others say its just a sealent and doesnt do crap for the car. i know a little about car detailin but not to much so i turn to u guys / gals once again lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
it never hurts to clay your car. What it does is remove anything in the paint that shouldnt be there, But make sure to wash your car first before you use the clay bar and be sure to your not getting alot of dirt on it or it will scratch your car. The liquid clay is pretty good at getting all the old wax off quick. I just did my car last night and it did a really good job.

I have been using ICE products from when they came out. The only one that i have found to not like is there paste wax.

When i was in High school i was detailing my teachers car with ICE and never had a problem.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Garage
thx skoal. u always come through with an answer for me lol. i started to think everyone was just gonna pas over this thread if u dont mind me asking what about the paste wax did u not like cause ive only used paste wax and liquid wax just seems to be iunno lol something diffrent to me haha.. and when using ice clay kit. do u go over the whole car with there liquid stuff first then go over it with the lub and clay bar? and is it true if u apply the quick detailer over top the liquid or paste wax "befor whiping off " it increases the shine alot more? thx for ur reply.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 AM
The HepKitty

I pm'd my son, he is a rather decent detailer, hopefully he'll have time to give some input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the Bop that never Stopped...
Chantilly Lace - The Rolling Rockabilly Jukebox..

Last edited by LittleMT; 05-30-2010 at 07:01 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Garage
cool thx MT
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to GooberMT Send a message via MSN to GooberMT Send a message via Yahoo to GooberMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalM
question 1 - should i clay my car befor its first polish / wax job it doesnt feel very ruff. some spots more than other but not so much that the paint job sounds like sand papper just yet.
Anytime your going to Polish/Wax at the same time, it is always recommended to give it a good Clay Bar Job as it removes the old wax and any oxidation being caused to the paint. Although you think the car doesnt seem to bad, in all reality it very well could be. The only way your going to tell is by clay barring it. You will notice during the claying, how dirty your paint actually is, by how often the bar grabs to the paint, if it never does grab, then your paint is pretty clean. I wouldn't say it has to feel like sand paper to be dirty, as mine has never been that way, but during clay, you can definately tell the paint is dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalM
question 2 - should i stick with ice products for this as in when i do need to clay get there clay bar which kinda confuses me. they sell the kit that has the bar the lub and the liquid clay ?? whats the point of the liquid clay? and use ice car polish / paste wax / quick spray detailer on top of the paste wax? ( not a fan of liquid wax"
The only ICE product I like is the detailing spray. I feel their polish in a sense, feels like a grease, and doesn't really apply like say Meguiars Polish or Adams Polish. I also would stay away from their liquid clay bar, as it doesn't do as good a job as a solid bar. I recommend using a Mothers or Adams Clay bar, as they seem to do a great job! Mothers comes with 2 small Clays while Adams is a hefty fat bar, that can be used a little longer than normal Clay Bars.

These are My Product Recommendation Links

Clay - http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html - Very easy and simple clay to use. Make sure the car is always wet while applying the clay. When Claying, You will need at least a second b0ttle of detail spray or when your b0ttle gets to half, top it off with water, and you will be fine.

Polish - http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+A2116 - This polish, when applied needs to be taken off quickly, so as soon as you finish a panel, buff that panel, and get it off. This offers a nice deep shine, and makes dark reds, black, and blues, look real nice.

Wax - http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718 - This wax applies real nice and is easy to remove. You can do the entire car before buffing. It locks in the shine of the polish, and keeps your paint protected for 9-12 months, depending on how often the car is garaged.

If you just want a complete kit without shopping around and so on, I highly recommend this kit - http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-99-ad...etail-kit.aspx

Hope I have helped and if you need any other help, just shoot LittleMT a PM, and I will be contacted to post on here, as I never get on the forums anymore.

Gabriel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GooberMT; 05-30-2010 at 05:09 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Garage
wow thx for taking the time to not only answer but explain aswell as provide links..
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Garage
which kind of car wash would u recomend ? like i said ive been using ice car wash which does leave a nice shine in its self. but i heard theyre waxes r lacking / dont work to protect. so should i also use a diffrent car wash something from meguaiars ? *probly miss spelld that lol* . i just wana make sure i use the best stuff posilbe on my car. wana keep her lookin fresh for as long as posible ya know lol

the polish u recommended would u consider my car a dark red ? / dark enough for that polish. i read its mean specificly for darker colors. i have the metallic red clear tint coat paint job or w.e lol thx again.

Last edited by Mentalm; 05-30-2010 at 09:27 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to GooberMT Send a message via MSN to GooberMT Send a message via Yahoo to GooberMT
If you have big pictures of your ride, I can definitely tell you. I am just looking at your avatar picture, and am assuming that is the color, and I think it would be fine. I have seen a Bright red Cobalt before and a Dark Red Cobalt. If it is the darker red, then it will be fine with that polish.

As far as Wash go, I highly Recommend the Gold Wash From Meguiars. - http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+GOLD+1

But if you want a cheaper alternative that foams/suds really well. I recommend Black Magic Car Wash - http://www.blackmagicshine.com/wet-shine-car-wash.php

Using the above seperate combos of clay, polish and wax that I recommended, this is how my 2008 Caliber SRT-4 came out...

Granted my car is black, it did require a lot of work. I really think your cobalt will shine up and clean very well.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Gabriel

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Contributing User

I also forgot to mention. When drying and cleaning your vehicle, Please ONLY USE Microfiber towels. Remove any tags from those towels as well. I usually buy a jumbo pack of towels from Sams Club or Costco.

Also I recommend using this type of washing mitt to wash over the car as it will help prevent scratching, and increase foaming from the soap - http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-83-ad...-wash-pad.aspx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode