Questions about buying an 06 ss sc ? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Questions about buying an 06 ss sc ?

I havent got a cobalt ss yet but i love them and i was wondering what problems would tie into buying one. I have a cobalt ss in mind it is an 06 ss sc with a little hood damage (small dent). It is on craigslist for $9,000 and it has 54,000 miles on it. I am hoping to talk the guy down to $7.5k or $8k. The most important question i had was what should i expect after having it for a little bit. Like what problems do you think might happen?

Also, do you think that would be a good buy or should i wait longer and get a used turbod ss ?

Ty ~ Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Contributing User

Garage
ud be happyer with the power of a ss turbo. but the ss sc. is a great car. only thing id be worried about specialy buying it off of craigslist is that the owner ran it hard. like most owners of these cars do. minus a few people of course lol. if its local definitly call e-mail etc the dude i wouldnt even bother showing much intrest untill u can actully go look at the car including a test drive. if he dont let u drive it of course walk away. make him get it inspected etc of course im sure u know all of this lolol. just check it closely is all specialy as a online thing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalm View Post
ud be happyer with the power of a ss turbo. but the ss sc. is a great car. only thing id be worried about specialy buying it off of craigslist is that the owner ran it hard. like most owners of these cars do. minus a few people of course lol. if its local definitly call e-mail etc the dude i wouldnt even bother showing much intrest untill u can actully go look at the car including a test drive. if he dont let u drive it of course walk away. make him get it inspected etc of course im sure u know all of this lolol. just check it closely is all specialy as a online thing.
I there any certain things i should look for when i test it like noises rattling lol anythin u can think off

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 AM

Oh ya do notice if any noise is coming out of the car or not.Its driving well or not,see to every minute details when you go for test drive.

if i spam this forum one more time with my sig, i will get banned.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributing User

Garage
one thing when test driving a used car i reccomend is to let go of the steering wheel and see if it rides str8. once at lower speeds and once at higher ie 40ish . i got my buddy a free alighnment and 2 new tires. on a used car he was buying for free. 2. check the sunroof covver for watter spots. and check the seals as i know 3 people that own 06 ss/sc and they all had issue with it leaking . 3 check for clutch sliping etc etc . 4. check tires see if any are pluged as i got another person a free tire by the seller cause one had a plug while this isnt a big issue as ive had to plug tires quite often lol. still nice to get free things. if ur a music freak like me find sometime to cehck the radio make sure all speakers are okay. i even check how they have there settings bass / treb etc. as that can be a indicator to how hard theyve pushed there speakers. ie if they got bass cranked and treb -123123123 etc u know they had that thing bumpin. i always take the time to check vins. as people are dishonest and could have wreckd it . and make sure they kept the matinance up. off the top of my head thats normaly what i do . oh and check for accesive raddling while driving. while these cars some not all have an issue with raddling while its not an issue normaly just an anoyence. but also a good way of check the sunroof. as that will raddle or well it did on 2 of the 3 of the my friends 06 ss's and thats how the ultimitly noticed they had a leak issue. befor any magor dmg was done. hope that helps. some of that maybe to an extreme for some. but i check every inch of a car if i buy used well in my case befor i let a friend buy used.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Contributing User

also pop the hood check the supercharger pulley check the belt, check the coolant check the oil if its at a good level if its low that could be a sign of not proper up keep. if its really dirty.. etc.. have the hood open and have him start the car. if its missfireing or something you will hear it.. if you know any mechanics.. take him with u...turn the music down and listen to the brakes.. ask him if its ok if you get after it and listen to the charger.. when i bought mine the first 2 i drove had supercharges failing.. they would make a grinding noise at full thr***le.. and would only make 9-10 lbs of boost.. stock boost is 12.5 i believe.. clutch is a big thing because most people who own these cars like mentlam said drive them hard. and the wear the clutch out.. at 55k i had to replace mt clutch do to slippage.. ive had a cracked tranny. do to the trans mount bolt coming loose and then the motor/trans torqing and cracking at the mount.. luckily the 07-up come with 100k mile powertrain warrenty and they covered it.. but i would look at the mounts as well.. thats all i can think of hope this helps and hope you get a cobalt sson they are bad ass and im super happy i got mine.. im sure ull love it when u get it..

BLACK COBALT SS 2007:
3" ZZP HIGH FLOW CAT DOWNPIPE
3" MAGNOFLOW CAT BACK.
MEGAN RACING LOWERING SPRINGS APROX 1.25"
TINTED WINDOWS
3 10" SUBS
GM STAGE 2 CLUTCH
BRAND NEW TRANS
FEW LITTLE LOOKIN GOOD GOODIES

2.9" pulley
42lb injectors
gm stage 2 belt

SOON TO COME.
bigger HE exchanger/dual pass/drag radials or slicks. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode