Paint job help... - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Paint job help...

So there was a small dent in my drivers side door and i brought it in to get it removed. There is still noticeable touch up paint where the dent was at but no more dent. I talked to a guy who said he would wet sand my door and start over. I was wondering if doing this, in the long run, would be a bad idea or not? I have noticed cars driving down the road that have certain parts, (door, hood, etc.) thats paint does not exactly match the rest of the paint or is chipping. The guy said he would paint afew coats then put on two thick layers of clear coat. I really want to get rid of this paint damage but I do not want to do it if it will make the whole door look off after awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Contributing User

how old is the car? if the guy is a good painter he can match the paint to where you wont even notice it.. but if the car has some miles on it.. that door will be the last to start fading.. but that wont be for a while.. i had a s10 with over 200 on it and the paint looked brand new except for the every day scratches and shit.. i would ask if the paint doesnt match will he do it till it does or paint the whole car so it matches.. some places will..hope that helps

BLACK COBALT SS 2007:
3" ZZP HIGH FLOW CAT DOWNPIPE
3" MAGNOFLOW CAT BACK.
MEGAN RACING LOWERING SPRINGS APROX 1.25"
TINTED WINDOWS
3 10" SUBS
GM STAGE 2 CLUTCH
BRAND NEW TRANS
FEW LITTLE LOOKIN GOOD GOODIES

2.9" pulley
42lb injectors
gm stage 2 belt

SOON TO COME.
bigger HE exchanger/dual pass/drag radials or slicks. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2469 View Post
how old is the car? if the guy is a good painter he can match the paint to where you wont even notice it.. but if the car has some miles on it.. that door will be the last to start fading.. but that wont be for a while.. i had a s10 with over 200 on it and the paint looked brand new except for the every day scratches and shit.. i would ask if the paint doesnt match will he do it till it does or paint the whole car so it matches.. some places will..hope that helps
The car is a black 2007 Cobalt. it has about 90000 miles on it.
Ive just heard from people that its best, if you can, to just leave the factory paint job on it. Because its hard to get that good of a job done. I will def ask him if he will do all of that. Im really hoping he will! The outside of the car looks great except for that tiny little thing! Its so annoying..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributing User

ya i bet i know what you mean.. i have a ding on my back bumber it looks trashy but i just cant afford to fix it =/..and the dealer paint job is a great paint job.. to get one that good youll pay thousands easily.. but as long as you get a clear coat thats not in the paint but an actual spray on clear coat it will look good.. and 90k? dang how did you get so many miles on it so fast? i have an 07 and i have 58k i thought that was alot..aha guess not.. but hope it all works out for you =)

BLACK COBALT SS 2007:
3" ZZP HIGH FLOW CAT DOWNPIPE
3" MAGNOFLOW CAT BACK.
MEGAN RACING LOWERING SPRINGS APROX 1.25"
TINTED WINDOWS
3 10" SUBS
GM STAGE 2 CLUTCH
BRAND NEW TRANS
FEW LITTLE LOOKIN GOOD GOODIES

2.9" pulley
42lb injectors
gm stage 2 belt

SOON TO COME.
bigger HE exchanger/dual pass/drag radials or slicks. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Im going to call the guy today and see what all he says about it.
hahaa yea i know its racked up those miles quick!
I drive about on average 90 miles a day, and i bought the car from some people down in florida that i assume traveled alot. hahaa
thanks man! me tooo!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM

wet sanding will thin the clear coat, so yeah after 10 or 20 years depending on how you treat the car, weather conditions, how often you compound/polish the pant it will wear faster in that spot. i do it all the time for removing deep scratches, it's no big woop.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Well i think you should ask the guys if he would do the paint job till it matches the color of the rest of the car.If he's a good painter then he'll do it very nicely.

next time me or my friends spam this forum in my sig, I and them, will get banned.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:11 PM

you usually paint up to body lines or blend, but blending is usually not a good method and should only be used on parts like c-pillars or other places you won't notice. i'd just get the whole panel re painted if you're that worried about it. our paint jobs are cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode