2007 Cobalt SS 2.4L Problems - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

2007 Cobalt SS 2.4L Problems

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to discuss some problems I have with my car which I am sure might have already been discussed but I am having problems finding some of the threads I found a few years back.

Problem 1

When I am driving and go over bumps (This has happened since day one) A weird knocking, rattling sound comes from the front driver side possibly the right passenger side too. I think I remember reading threads about it being something to do with bearings etc.

Problem 2

I lent my car to my mom in 2007 she then went onto blowing the clutch. I had the clutch replaced and its been fine ever since but since the clutch was replaced I cannot go into 3rd gear without grinding the gears unless I hold the clutch and let the RPM fall off abit also, under no circumstances can I down shift from 4 to 3 without severe grinding. Also when I rev the engine up in 2nd and 3rd it sounds like a weird rattling noise is coming from the gearbox when I let off the gas.

Problem 3

Is coming from the steering colum, It makes a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel. I had this issue fixed in 2008 the dealer told me it was the whole steering colum but after some research I found out all of them had this problem and it was something to do with a steering part which cost a third of the original quote of $600. It fixed the problem for a year and a half or so but now is doing the same thing again.

Any help is much appreciated, I plan to go to the dealership armed with responses so I am not ripped off again.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Garage
Here is what this sounds like to me:

Problem 1.
It sounds like you have strut tower bushings that are prematurely wearing out on your vehicle. Depending on the mileage, you might want to replace the strut in the process because it will take the same labor to replace the bushing.

Problem 2.
Who replaced your clutch?? They may have overlooked damage to the transmission so its very possible your mom blew your transmission internal bearings. I damaged the transmission as well but it was covered under the 36k mile powertrain warranty.

Problem 3.
Sounds like you may have to get your axles looked at. Also, the steering rack might be loose which is a common problem with all cars with this similar chassis: Malibu, Cobalt, Ion, HHR.... Get the bolts re-torqued and it should be ok. If not, it will mean internal steering rack issues.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Hey guys!

Just some suggestions with some of the problems I've been having with my car lately.

#1- My steering is not right at all. If I keep my steering wheel straight the car will immediately go the left. This has been going on for about a month, even after taking my car to a dealership and getting my alignment "fixed" it's still doing it.

#2- My gas mileage has also been steadily getting worse as well. Could this be a direct influence from the steering issues?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode