Help and suggestions - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Help and suggestions

i have a 09 cobalt lt with a k&n typhoon cold air intake and ss 2" lowering springs in it and want something else fo the engine what should i get thats fairly cheep im getting a exhaust too but i dont know what exhaust to get cause they all seem to loud and whiny i want a lower tone one thats cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
get charge piping.... with the exhaust take it to a shop have them remove the stock muffler and add a flowmaster

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

my cars auto btw and wats charde piping im new to all this

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM

^ uhh isnt 3'' exhaust a tad to big for a n/a motor? they will more then likely loose power wouldnt they?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributing User

Garage
i just now noticed it wasnt an ss haha my bad! . yes pec that would be a tad big for a n/a motor thumbs up for my lack of reading skills ... and umm if its an LT u wouldnt need the charge piping lolol something tells me . that me nore skoal read ur post correctly at first lolol . as far as na goes . my first response get some boost on that thing if u dont wana do that just go full bolt ons . tune . :P sorry for the mistake. thanks for pointing it out pec lolol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% tint sides and rear
GM Sport pedals
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Garage
I still say 3" pipe on an N/A FTW!!

It really won't hurt an N/A in torque, it should actually assist torque a lot, just lose top end because of the lack of back pressure....

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
lol iam sorry i guess i didnt read the lt part. well get a turbo kit... that shold give you a good bit of power

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM

I have a 2005 cobalt SS/SC and for some reason I have noticed a big decrease in power since I first got the car. I have put about 40K on it since I got it. It curently has 112k miles on it. I have notice the most that when I am at WOT and at about 5k rpm my boost gauge jumps back and forth between 12-15 PSI. when My gauge hits 15 PSI its like I just ran into a wall I lose TONS of power. I have also noticed that when I went up north this winter it was only 5 deg outside and my temp never got above 100 deg. Now that I am back south and it is in the 90's my car runs at about 172-180 and the OEM thermostate is a 180 deg thermo. But I have noticed that when it hits about 172 deg that it starts to idle speradically. the rpms will go up and the boost will drop then the rpms will drop and the boost will go up. It doesn't always idle weird like that when it warms up but atleast 3 or 4 times a week, but it always loses power and hits 15 psi when I am horseing on it and it always loses power. I thought that maybe it might be a vacuum leak but I don't know where to start to look all the hoses that I have checked seem to be in good condition. The other thing that I was thinking of was that maybe its my ECU witch is bad but I have an extended warranty on that car so if it is going bad or is bad then bring it on. I would like to know if anyone else has ever had this problem or if anyone knows what it might be ideas for me to check. and insite would be greatly appretiated...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Garage
Check all the supercharger piping. This is a common problem because of the way that the piping was manufactured. The piping has 3 segments, the first from the throttle body. Then it goes to a second one just before ducking behind the headlight down to the fog light. And the last piece is the air box which has the MAF sensor. The 1st and second piping always comes loose easy, especially with the OE clamp so that would explain the loss of power and spurratic idle. Reason for that being is because it sucks more air than the MAF sensor reads so the ECU has to compensate. Then if that isn't the case, check the box piping which would require you to take the headlight out and the bracket and see how the MAF sensor looks because that may be another possible problem.

If that is not the case, the purge sensor is bad.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 03:11 PM

2005 ss/sc

Well I checked all the pipping and looked at the MAFS and everything looks fine but I did notice that where my pcv valve hose connects to the valve cover there is some fluid on top. Theres not alot but it is noticeable. what would cause this and what that have anything to do with my problem and does anyone else have any ideas on what my problem could be? I apprecitate any help or ideas for me to check. I do have an appointment setup for wensday to get that car diag done but I dont really want to spend $90 for them to tell me they dont know what is wrong with my baby. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Joe Dirt

Hope for the best but expect the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode