Changing the supercharger oil? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Changing the supercharger oil?

I have an 06 Cobalt SS with 29k miles on it, and it was brought to my attention that I should change the oil in the supercharger once I hit 50k, is this necessarily accurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Garage
You don't change the SC oil. Its just a top off that you can do yourself. I can post a picture of the top off access point later tonite or tomorrow if that helps. You will need to purchase 2 bottles of SC oil which go for ~15 each at the dealer to perform this and a funnel small enough to fit where the top off goes.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

This is extremely helpful and I appreciate it, if you can post a pic of the top off line that would be great as well. Also maybe a hint to where the resevoir would be located?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Garage
There is no reservoir, just the bolt you remove to top it off. I can explain it if you want.

Pop the hood open, when you look directly at the motor, on the left side, where the pully and belt are located, there is an allen key bolt that sits flush with the back side of the SC near the top. That is the one you remove and it should just be a hole where you pour the fluid in. Dealer recommends that when you fill until it spills over and then it should be full. Other than that, I can show a picture later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Contributing User

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
good info, I have been wanting to know more on this myself
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Garage
Ok so Im a day late with a response of my promised picture illustration of this process. The first picture I will show is from a far view of the location of the bolt to give you the idea of where to look:

Now, not that is from far. So the bolt that lets you top off the fluid is next right next to the sensor that is connected to SC near the belts. That black bolt is what you take off and fill until it spills over. You will need to disconnect the sensor and clear it from the general area so that no fluid or any other debri comes in contact with it:

Any questions??

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Garage
Is it possable to change the oil in the supercharger tho? like something that should be done everyonce in a while? do i have to go to the dealer to get the sc oil? or is it something that i can get at a parts store?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Garage
You can get whatever SC oil you want. The only reason I recommended GM SC oil is because they told me there at the dealer that if I top it off with anything else, it will void my warranty.

To flush and change, you will need to physically remove the SC from the motor and flush it. While you're at that, you might as well remove the back cover and clean inside to make sure you have no debri.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Hey RedSStreak sorry for the delayed response, unfortunately since my last post I had some things come up that needed attention, however, I am back now and again am greatly appreciative of the effort you have put into answering my question
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

At what mileage would you suggest topping it off though? It was suggested to me that 50k is the right time to do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode