Cobalts SS banner

may get a colbalt ss

6K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Gonetoofar 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm looking at one of these lil bow ties. Right now I drive a charger R/T Daytona. It's a very nice car. But the paymints are up there. I want to get my wife a truck and me a lower payment. Tell me about the SS. The one I'm lookin.g at is a 05 SS supercharged.
Hows the performance. And what are some mods to make it nasty. I like a loud supercharger screaming. But I don't want some rice fart can. Any info will help a lot.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, if you are comparing it to the Charger, the Cobalt is A LOT lighter so the breaking, turning and acceleration is easier to accomplish.

Just a couple mods and it can be a street machine. Headers, intake, catback, pully and a tune should really make a difference. Of course doing suspension will help a lot but traction bars are key for the Cobalt's acceleration because it will eliminate the horrible wheel hop.

Good luck on the buy and hope you like it. Good gas mileage vehicle too. I average about 30mps on the freeway.

#3 ·
Ok. So should I look at the turbo or the supercharged one more. I found a 05 SS super to 8ish. With 60xxx miles. And a 08 SS turbo for 14000 with 23xxx miles. It's the turbo a lot beter. What about sound. I like the sound of boost and want to hear a lot of it.

#4 ·
Its kind of what is in your budget. The Supercharged Cobalt (lsj) is going to sound a lot louder than the turbo because of the whine as demonstrated here:

The difference in speed isn't great. The stock turbo on the LNF (turbo) is almost tapped out from factory but is a little faster than the LSJ. Your choice really.

#5 ·
um um, Sir you are WRONG...... turbo is far from being maxed out from factory.... there are guys with 400whp on stock turbo, say that for the supercharger.... again its up to you, iam a turbo guy that used to own a s/c.... spend the money on the turbo. 1 its newer. 2. its faster. 3 you can gain alot for hp for the mods. 4 there are more options for the turbo. There are atleast 5-10 different turboes you can go with unlike the supercharger, you can only get a Stock M62, TVS or MP90..... which still wont break over 400hp. you get a good turbo your looking at 450hp. The turbo is just made alot better for power....

#17 ·
I read otherwise. I have always read and understood that the block is safe to push to 400hp, but the baby turbo cannot support past 320hp to the wheels. I did not say that the LSJ was faster, but it is a lot less money to go LSJ and mod than the LNF. How much is a turbo manifold compared to my headers?? Thats what I am saying. And yes, there is more market for Turbos than SC's.... But on a budget, the LSJ is faster for cheaper. And that extra gizmos on the LNF is what makes the LNF slower. I read that guys with the 'no lift shift' feature get worse times ET with it on than off.

Skoal there are plenty of LSJ's around 400 WHP. It all depends on how much you want to put into the car. with the LNF's (Turbo) it would be easier and a lot faster to get to 400 (if you have the necessary stuff around you) As for the LSJ's (Surpercharged) it's going to take a decent amount of money and parts.
THIS!

#7 ·
What can my ss do?

So I just got a 2005 ss/sc with the stage two kit and I'm wondering what I can do to make it faster. My buddy has an impreza wrx and his ego is through the roof. I have a little money to spend and I'm trying to make it faster to beat him, what can I do to make it faster?

#8 ·
I'm leaning towards the sc. The one I'm looking at has 70000 miles. For 8 k.
So how fast are these lil things. Can it trump my charger rt. Iv always has v8 rwd automatic cars ( 81 trans am. 04 mustang gt, put charger rt). Iv always wanted a manual. How much is it to do a pully swap or stage 2 kit.

#9 ·
Skoal there are plenty of LSJ's around 400 WHP. It all depends on how much you want to put into the car. with the LNF's (Turbo) it would be easier and a lot faster to get to 400 (if you have the necessary stuff around you) As for the LSJ's (Surpercharged) it's going to take a decent amount of money and parts.

#10 ·
Wolf, if you know someone with HPTuners, you can buy injectors and a smaller pulley and still come out cheaper than a GM stage 2. Plus, you can gain MUCH more power than a "canned" tune. If I remember correctly, I dyno'd my 06 back in 07 with GM stage 2 at 104* outside temp @ 183hp at the wheels. With a 2.9 pulley and nitrous I gained about 40 hp. (35 shot) Im not the best driver in the world, but without the N2O and just on a GM tune, I ran 14.150 @ 102mph at Rockingham.
Mine has just over 72k on the clock and feels faster now than it did then. Probably because the engine has loosened up a bit from somewhat normal wear. (only about 30-50 track passes)

#13 ·
Ya. Well I'm prob not going to try to get 400 HP. This will be my daily driver. I just want a quick lil boosted car that's finally a manual. Somtging I can put a few hundred In and many be eaven faster then my R/T. I don't want a rice rocket. Just a nice screm from the supercharger. Some thing fun to drive and many get good mpg. I love to drive. I had the chance to get a EVO. And then a m3. But I got married. Iv always had v8 rwd automatic cars. I just don't want to be disappointed when I get it. Will a stock one run with my heavy ass charger. And if you had to could u put a car seat in back.

And what is this no lift sift.

#15 ·
the LNF turbo balt is the way togo because it has a No lift shift feature which is amazing might i add but u can get so much power out of the lnf's with so little money and yea the turbo balt from the factory is no where near close to being tapped out my engine has alot of potential and once HAHN brings their super 20G out for the lnf engine its game over so my advice get the 08 LNF

#33 ·
What tha eff?? Did your turbo fail or something? :D

sorry i ment to say that how much power my lug nuts have.... My car will never see 800+ hp due to pretty much everything
Doesn't mean it isn't possible. The fastest Cobalt if I do recall is the LSJ turbo conversion and complete drag car still FWD making 895hp and running 8.9s in the 1/4. ;)

#34 ·
Don't think you can go wrong with any of the faster Cobalt models. i bought a 2007 coupe with a Stage 2 supercharger setup (which was quick) and then swapped for a Stage 5 Hahn turbo system with 3" exhaust (which is fast, damn fast). Total out-of-pocket was a shade over 20 grand, and for the money, it's about as much fun as you can have automotively IMHO. I also hear a lot of good things about ZZP aftermarket products, so the bottom line is that the stock turbo Cobalt is a really nice car, but you might get more bang for the buck by buying a cheaper supercharged model and dropping in a custom-designed turbo system of the Hahn or ZZP variety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.