may get a colbalt ss - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

may get a colbalt ss

Hello. I'm looking at one of these lil bow ties. Right now I drive a charger R/T Daytona. It's a very nice car. But the paymints are up there. I want to get my wife a truck and me a lower payment. Tell me about the SS. The one I'm lookin.g at is a 05 SS supercharged.
Hows the performance. And what are some mods to make it nasty. I like a loud supercharger screaming. But I don't want some rice fart can. Any info will help a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Garage
Well, if you are comparing it to the Charger, the Cobalt is A LOT lighter so the breaking, turning and acceleration is easier to accomplish.

Just a couple mods and it can be a street machine. Headers, intake, catback, pully and a tune should really make a difference. Of course doing suspension will help a lot but traction bars are key for the Cobalt's acceleration because it will eliminate the horrible wheel hop.

Good luck on the buy and hope you like it. Good gas mileage vehicle too. I average about 30mps on the freeway.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RedSStreak; 10-17-2011 at 10:24 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Ok. So should I look at the turbo or the supercharged one more. I found a 05 SS super to 8ish. With 60xxx miles. And a 08 SS turbo for 14000 with 23xxx miles. It's the turbo a lot beter. What about sound. I like the sound of boost and want to hear a lot of it.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Garage
Its kind of what is in your budget. The Supercharged Cobalt (lsj) is going to sound a lot louder than the turbo because of the whine as demonstrated here:

The difference in speed isn't great. The stock turbo on the LNF (turbo) is almost tapped out from factory but is a little faster than the LSJ. Your choice really.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
um um, Sir you are WRONG...... turbo is far from being maxed out from factory.... there are guys with 400whp on stock turbo, say that for the supercharger.... again its up to you, iam a turbo guy that used to own a s/c.... spend the money on the turbo. 1 its newer. 2. its faster. 3 you can gain alot for hp for the mods. 4 there are more options for the turbo. There are atleast 5-10 different turboes you can go with unlike the supercharger, you can only get a Stock M62, TVS or MP90..... which still wont break over 400hp. you get a good turbo your looking at 450hp. The turbo is just made alot better for power....

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
red, come race me and tell me which one is WAY faster....

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM

What can my ss do?

So I just got a 2005 ss/sc with the stage two kit and I'm wondering what I can do to make it faster. My buddy has an impreza wrx and his ego is through the roof. I have a little money to spend and I'm trying to make it faster to beat him, what can I do to make it faster?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards the sc. The one I'm looking at has 70000 miles. For 8 k.
So how fast are these lil things. Can it trump my charger rt. Iv always has v8 rwd automatic cars ( 81 trans am. 04 mustang gt, put charger rt). Iv always wanted a manual. How much is it to do a pully swap or stage 2 kit.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributing User

Garage
Skoal there are plenty of LSJ's around 400 WHP. It all depends on how much you want to put into the car. with the LNF's (Turbo) it would be easier and a lot faster to get to 400 (if you have the necessary stuff around you) As for the LSJ's (Surpercharged) it's going to take a decent amount of money and parts.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 AM

Wolf, if you know someone with HPTuners, you can buy injectors and a smaller pulley and still come out cheaper than a GM stage 2. Plus, you can gain MUCH more power than a "canned" tune. If I remember correctly, I dyno'd my 06 back in 07 with GM stage 2 at 104* outside temp @ 183hp at the wheels. With a 2.9 pulley and nitrous I gained about 40 hp. (35 shot) Im not the best driver in the world, but without the N2O and just on a GM tune, I ran 14.150 @ 102mph at Rockingham.
Mine has just over 72k on the clock and feels faster now than it did then. Probably because the engine has loosened up a bit from somewhat normal wear. (only about 30-50 track passes)

Ask them. Tell them. Make them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode