Stock headlights - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Stock headlights

On an SS/SC ....are they crap? (9007 LL....I think they are Sylvania's)
I can't see squat at night.....low beam/high beam completely useless.....
Did GM put below par headlight lamps in...assumming they will be replaced anyways?
Just curious.

MZ
2007 SS/SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have an 06 ss/sc and they are useless, but keep in mind that they are the same headlamps on the base model ls as they are on the ss/sc. You have to keep in mind that the Cobalt was not built for performance, but for economy. It was built to replace the Cavalier. The ss/sc is a $13k econobox, we just paid extra for the drivertrain and interior. There are two ways to improve your lighting.

(1) Get Silverstar headlamp bulbs. They are about %20 brighter than stock.

(2) Got to HID worl on e-bay and get a set-up for HIDs. They require no wiring or severe modification of your stock lights. They basically convert them into HID for around $200 without butchering your car. More importantly, if you ever wanted to convert back to stock you still can. I takes about an hour to install the kit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 PM

One of the first things I did was replace mine with PIAA Xtreme White Plus 9007's.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenhebe View Post

(2) Got to HID worl on e-bay and get a set-up for HIDs. They require no wiring or severe modification of your stock lights. They basically convert them into HID for around $200 without butchering your car. More importantly, if you ever wanted to convert back to stock you still can. I takes about an hour to install the kit.

That's a BIG NO-NO.

If your going to do HID, at least don't be a ricer and buy a "kit" that will cause more harm than good. Do it right and spend the money where it needs to be spent. Do a retro.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM

i put silverstars in my balt also, not much difference than stock, but there is a difference... also, i think the factory has them aimed too low to begin with, they need to be aimed higher, not much, but that would improve night vision...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Yeah silverstars are more of a gimmick, like most coated bulbs, than anything. They may claim 20% more advatnage over stock but truthfully, I never saw it. I saw more "performance" when I went to the MUCH cheaper Sylvania XtraVision. Those seem to actually put out what they claim, a 30% increase in performance. If your actually wanting performance from a halogen bulb, STAY AWAY from the coated bulbs BS. It's nothing more than a way to get you to spend money on something that will never live up to it's hype. You money is better spent elsewhere or on a bulb that will deliver what your looking for.

I will stand by the XtraVisions. I've had both the Xtra's and the Silverstars and compairing both is a joke. If you want a slightly "whiter" hue yet pretty similar "performance" as stock, go with the silverstars. If you don't care for the ricer hue colors and are actually wanting a upgrade in performance, go with the HID Retro (best option) or go with something like the Xtravision (far cheaper alternative).

Also, STAY AWAY from the "high wattage" bulbs UNLESS you decide to upgrade the wiring to them via a relay harness. The stock wiring isn't a good candidate for prolong-abuse of high current spikes/graphs caused from high wattage halogen bulbs. Your stock wiring isn't on par to handle that load over time nor was it ever intended to run that safely. Take the added safety precaution and wire in a relay to make the bulbs be powered directly from a 12V source and not off your exisitng stock wiring schematic.

Last edited by orange juice; 10-30-2006 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 PM

^^ your right, i think the PIAA eurolites are pretty good, there is a guy with an s-dime and they are considerably brighter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM

i have silverstars on my car and i could tell the difference, i lived out on the country at the time no lights period... i also aimed them a little higher but i could still tell...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
i put silverstars in my balt also, not much difference than stock, but there is a difference... also, i think the factory has them aimed too low to begin with, they need to be aimed higher, not much, but that would improve night vision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Off View Post
i have silverstars on my car and i could tell the difference, i lived out on the country at the time no lights period... i also aimed them a little higher but i could still tell...
Thanks guys.
The bulbs have been replaced, with GE nighthawks. Work like a charm. Much improved over stock. I agree with both quotes though, they need to be aimed higher. Will do that tonight.

mz
2007 SS/SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode