What would these mods do? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

What would these mods do?

I am new to this site and have been reading alot . I have a couple of questions about making some modifications. From what i read, most effective mods would be gmpp stage 2, corsa cat back, cai intake, torque dampener. Everything after these mods are reletively insignifant in hp(correct me if I am wrong), feel of the car. If anyone can tell me the performance of just these mods and what kind of stock cars they would beat, ex. 350z (yes), gto (?), etc. I am stock and recently raced my friend's 350 whp '06 gto from a 45 mph roll (just to see how bad he would beat me ) and he pulled me by 3 cars up to 115. With these mods where would i stand from your guy's experiences. I would like to be just as fast as him without killing the relibility of the car since it is my daily driver. (what mods would i have to do to get there? I would guess around 260 whp?)

I also read that someone took their car up to something like 7800 rpms after doing the stage 2 . I would never do this, but then someone posted that with titanium valves you could go to 8k- do you guys think this is possible, if so why haven't i heard anything else about it. It would seem that you would have a huge increase in hp even being able to take it to 7500 rpm. With just the 3" pully would you be overspinning the sc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:16 PM

The mods you listed would make the car significantly faster. There are guys on this forum who have taken down goats but i won't go as far as to say that those mods would be enough. There are just to many factors. But i will say that Stage 2/ CAI/ Catback/ Torque dampener combination could definately gain back a significant part of that "3 car" distance

Anyway, the stage 2 is by far the greatest increase in power, but smaller pulleys and different tunes have yielded significant results. Not to mention suspension stuff to keep those tires on the ground.

Hope this helps and welcome to the site!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to 06supercharged
with the mods listed above what kind of whp can you expect to be seeing ? and what about tq rateing?. my cai is on the way stage 2 and exhaust will be my next couple mods. and what kind of track times could you expect to see mid to low 13s with some good driveing

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 PM

I would say go with the cobalt addiction stage 3 with no extra mods they say nets 270 hp dats wut im going with next after my intake and 2nd HE are done
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing User

From everyone I've talked to at the dragstrip the mods you have mentioned will probably net you a mid to high 13 second run. Traction is a bitch with front drive cars and only gets worse with the more you mod. Drag radials are a big help and slicks are the ultimate traction adder! You should be able to handle bone stock 350z ,Srt-4, Civic si, GTI's, older mustangs (pre 1999) and of course cobalts and redlines. You should be closer to the Gto but I think you'll still lose to it and you should be neck and neck with a new mustang. If you really want to run with the big dogs you gotta get slicks for track racing!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
From everyone I've talked to at the dragstrip the mods you have mentioned will probably net you a mid to high 13 second run. Traction is a bitch with front drive cars and only gets worse with the more you mod. Drag radials are a big help and slicks are the ultimate traction adder! You should be able to handle bone stock 350z ,Srt-4, Civic si, GTI's, older mustangs (pre 1999) and of course cobalts and redlines. You should be closer to the Gto but I think you'll still lose to it and you should be neck and neck with a new mustang. If you really want to run with the big dogs you gotta get slicks for track racing!!!
Correct^
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 PM
iso
Contributing User

if you plan on running slikcs, plan on upgrading axels. fwd cars don't like it when you dead hook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

what would you expect in 1/4 to get if you get the cobalt addictions stage 3 or 4 in place of gm stg 2 along with other mods listed.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM

With traction low 13's at least, with street tires high 13's low 14's
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Contributing User

I can't speak for the axles in a cobalt but I run a low 12 second stage 3 srt-4 and haven't had any problems with my axles while running slicks!. 2 things that will kill an axle are wheel hop, And if you dont do your burnout correctly. Motor mounts and traction bars should get rid of all your wheel hop not to mention the more horsepower you have the more likely the tires will spin instead of hop with slicks. When you do your burnout and you let off the e-break ride the burnout to a finish. Don't slam the breaks as soon as you start rolling forward. I seen more people break axles at the burnout box than I have ever seen racing. Drag racing is real hard on the car so expect to break something sooner or later. I just toasted a clutch last month, but it gave me an excuse to get a clutchmaster stage 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode