Noobie Cobalt ?'s - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Noobie Cobalt ?'s

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I have a few questions in regards to Cobalts. I went and tried out an ss and an ss/sc over the past few days and while the dealer had to drive the ss/sc (icy roads, nighttime etc.) I tried out the ss. Now the ss/sc that he drove felt real quick from the passenger seat and sounded nice too. He was hitting around 120 - 130 in third gear so it was howling pretty good. Also the entire time until he let off you could feel it pushing you into your seat. The ss when I tried it out didn't seem to have a lot of guts in it. When I got back into my 2.2 Eco. Sunfire with just exhaust and intake and tried the same things I did in the ss it felt almost like I had more pull with my sunfire, which shouldn't be right. But of course it's just going by the seat of my pants, so the numbers of course will be way different.
Once spring comes around I'm hoping to have my car paid off, and was thinking about getting into a Cobalt, I'd really like the ss/sc it felt really nice and sounded good, but the payments would be double what I'm paying now, plus insurance would go up, and I'd more than likely be going through more gas. However, with the ss feeling to me for the most part just like my sunfire I'd kinda rather not go with that one.
Now the third option is the LT model Cobalt. Comes with the 2.2 that is in the brochure rated at 148hp, so give or take a handful from there. This would definitely be the cheapest route to go, while still moving up from the sunfire. What I'm wondering though is, does the current gm supercharger for the 2.2 fit on this engine? I'm going to assume yes it does, which is probably the obvious answer. If so though, would the best way to go be to get the LT, start paying it off and than at the same time just save up and throw the supercharger on it? From what I've heard the supercharger is supposed to bump the hp up to 200ish anyway. Or in the end is it just best to suck it up and pay the extra cash on the ss/sc?
I realize this is a huge post, but one more question, how much aftermarket stuff is out for Cobalts now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 PM

man by time you buy a base model and try to supercharge it, its more work than its work get something thats from the factory thats already tuned up, I cant believe the dealer got the car up to 120-130 thats pretty stupid, especially you describing icey roads
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 PM

You can't hit 120 in 3rd... 3rd maxes out at about 100. I'd guess 4th, since acceleration in 5th is kinda sluggish at those speeds. Anyways, this IS a slightly skewed opinion, but I love my ss/sc. The thing with the sc is that the internals are designed to handle the boost/power from the supercharger, so its designed to last with the power. anytime you add significant boost (more than about 8 psi) to an engine, you're asking for trouble from the internals if they aren't built for it. Again, just my $.02, from a biased ss/sc owner.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Contributing User

Base model sucks pay for the ss/sc unless your looking for a project. The ss/sc offers more than just power its overall nicer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 PM

in a chevy magazine there was an article of a group of ppl that hit nitrous (75) shot that blew up the #1 cylinder
best bet is to get the shit already built
i went from a cavy 2.2 ecotec and i would have been pissed at myself for not getting the ss/sc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:17 PM

AYou may think your going to save money by buying the base model (lower insurance) but the money to supercharge, upgrade, downtime and shit like that aint worth it. Go ahead and buy the ss/sc and leave the hassel behind you, then mod from there. You will actually come out cheaper in the long run. Just like smart said, the 2.0 is made to handle the power. The 2.2 may have a higher comp ratio as opposed to the 2.0 (should have ~8.5:1)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributing User

This is what I have seen mine do on the street: 102 MPH at 17.5 PSI of boost at the top of 3rd gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmts123 View Post
You can't hit 120 in 3rd... 3rd maxes out at about 100. I'd guess 4th, since acceleration in 5th is kinda sluggish at those speeds.
Since I didn't make that very clear, I was talking in KM/h.

Thank you all for the answers though so far, I'd love to get the ss/sc. Just want to be certain.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing User

Well then that makes more sense because thats only around 75mph. In that case in my ls 3rd ends around 80mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode