car and driver comparision: cobalt, redline, rsx, srt4, wrx - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

car and driver comparision: cobalt, redline, rsx, srt4, wrx

I'm sure many of you have seen this one, but its pretty interesting. Hopefully it hasn't been posted before.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-round-23.html

5th place: Ion Redline
4th place: Cobalt ss/sc
3rd place: srt4 acr
2nd place: wrx
1st place: rsx type s (interesting that this car placed first when it had the slowest 1/4 mile time and slowest 0-60)

I notice that this is dated sept 05, so maybe opinions have changed since then? I hope...

~~Kerri~~
07 ss/sc (stage 2 w/ 2.9, cai, 2.5" resonated cat-back)
94 Talon TSi AWD (too much)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributing User

Yeah I remember that I have that issue somewhere too. They are a bunch of idiots it was called Cheap Speed srt4 should have been the winner hands down doesn’t matter what the inside looks like because it was called cheap speed.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 PM

the rsx s is about the same price compared to the balt
its built better inside and out
the engine has the same amount of power and has no forced induction
which this makes it a more reliable car

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted.... the rsx is in the same class, but is the only one of those 5 tested that is n/a. Pretty impressive.

~~Kerri~~
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 PM

Well I can tell why the Saturn lost. The gauges are nicely positioned so your shifter knob or back passengers can see them but not the driver. Seems like some sad attepted to create a interesting style. I've seen it on a few other cars like the Mini I believe.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsstockrocket View Post
the rsx s is about the same price compared to the balt
its built better inside and out
the engine has the same amount of power and has no forced induction
which this makes it a more reliable car

This may not be 100% true, wait til we see some evidence of ss/sc's going over to 100k mile marker without major internal repair.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzack View Post
Well I can tell why the Saturn lost. The gauges are nicely positioned so your shifter knob or back passengers can see them but not the driver. Seems like some sad attepted to create a interesting style. I've seen it on a few other cars like the Mini I believe.
My brother has a redline and really likes all the gauges there, I don't though I think it looks sort of weird but hey its not my car it's his.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey, this is a little off the topic at hand, but has anyone read the article in "Popular Hot Rodding" about the Saturn Sky? Article is themed "Skys the limit" Its a Turbocharged Ectoec that puts out 260 hp, this is the highest hp/cubic inch engine that GM has ever produced in a production based vehicle! If my calculations are not too far off, that would mean ~2.14 hp per cubic inch! Even the 2002 SS Camaro only has ~0.9 hp/cid, but the torque is what wins that car over.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
Hey, this is a little off the topic at hand, but has anyone read the article in "Popular Hot Rodding" about the Saturn Sky? Article is themed "Skys the limit" Its a Turbocharged Ectoec that puts out 260 hp, this is the highest hp/cubic inch engine that GM has ever produced in a production based vehicle! If my calculations are not too far off, that would mean ~2.14 hp per cubic inch! Even the 2002 SS Camaro only has ~0.9 hp/cid, but the torque is what wins that car over.
To be honest, I really like the way the Sky looks, but I'm not too sure what to think about it yet, tho 260hp for that car is pretty good considering I'm sure you can pick one up for somewhere in the low $20K range.

~~Kerri~~
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMissed View Post
To be honest, I really like the way the Sky looks, but I'm not too sure what to think about it yet, tho 260hp for that car is pretty good considering I'm sure you can pick one up for somewhere in the low $20K range.
Im figuring low 18k for base model, 25k for turbo model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode