Stock radio swap for Custom Stereo - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Stock radio swap for Custom Stereo

This has been bothering me for sometime now, I recently went to an audio store around my city, and I found the head unit that I wanted. I asked him what he could do about installing it, and he said that he would have to do some sort of "stock unit relocation" to the trunk, because if the stock stereo unit is disconnected, then the car would lose it's ABS, and it's Airbag system... So my question is, is this guy telling the truth or is he trying to get an extra $300 dollars outta my wallet?? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah, i think its the same as the monte carlos, you have to have a relocator kit where the stock radio runs in-line with the new unit and then to the speakers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Contributing User

Depends on where your Driver Information Center is. Do you change your car settings in the radio or in the gauge cluster?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

car settings? like oil and mileage or something? I'm confused lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing User

Yeah its what they call Driver Information Center (DIC). You can view your oil life, mileage, temp, etc. You can also change settings like miles vs kms. The SS has it in the gauge cluster in a small screen below the tach. Do you have the Pioneer system or not?

Here are the buttons that control the DIC on the SS. If the DIC Is part of the radio I would guess they are part of the radio. I haven't seen one yet, but I have seen a base sedan with the DIC in the gauge cluster.

EDIT: Look for my aftermarket head unit installation how to in the how to section of the forum. It is stickied.

Last edited by Harley; 01-26-2007 at 09:46 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

yea then in that case, the DIC is in the gauge cluster. So would that make what the guy at the audio store said false?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributing User

To the best of my knowledge. Check out the how to. I have removed my pioneer stock unit and replaced it with and alpine and I'm even using the stock amp without butchering the wiring in the car. I have extra harnesses available if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode