HEY SSnipes here .... - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

HEY SSnipes here ....

I am SSnipes. to get to know me more or for the curious check out my CARDOMAIN page.

can you tell me......

what you liked most about it?
what you didn't like most about it?
Then tell me what ever you want about it. Thanks for improving my CARDOMAIN page. really really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Contributing User

Sorry for being a spelling Nazi, but I can't help it.

Page 2:
under cartoon - thatn = than, bought = brought
Page 3:
fuel economy numbers - 3 = 30 in the parenthesis
under interior photos - horizone = horizon, had = hard
Page 4:
top - there = their
tools - circiut - circuit
page 5:
Step 2 - dry a dry = try a dry, teh = the
page 7:
top - attept = attempt

I really like you're car. You are doing most the mods I would do if I were to keep the car. Shaved rear, lower, etc.

I do have the JBP poly control arm bushings. They haven't done much for my wheel hop as I had hoped but they definitely stiffen up the turning. I haven't used them much in warm weather. They were installed late fall, so maybe with warm tarmac it will make a difference. From my observation of the part and how it is installed it doesn't make much sense that it would help wheel hop. They replace the rear bushing and its design seems to deal more with the horizontal forces rather than vertical. My front bushing is still rubber and I haven't seen any replacements for that out. Front seems to be designed to deal more with the vertical forces.

With the knowledge I have now I would have gotten either one of the poly engine or tranny mount and see how that helped and then keep adding poly components until the hop was under control. I don't much like the idea of an engine damper because it doesn't solve the problem it hides it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Looking good snipes. I'm liking the wingless look more and more.

Keep up the clean work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

Page 2:
Page 3:
Page 4:
top - there = their
page 5:
page 7:
top - attept = attempt

I really like you're car. You are doing most the mods I would do if I were to keep the car. Shaved rear, lower, etc.

I do have the JBP poly control arm bushings. They haven't done much for my wheel hop as I had hoped but they definitely stiffen up the turning. I haven't used them much in warm weather. They were installed late fall, so maybe with warm tarmac it will make a difference. From my observation of the part and how it is installed it doesn't make much sense that it would help wheel hop. They replace the rear bushing and its design seems to deal more with the horizontal forces rather than vertical. My front bushing is still rubber and I haven't seen any replacements for that out. Front seems to be designed to deal more with the vertical forces.

With the knowledge I have now I would have gotten either one of the poly engine or tranny mount and see how that helped and then keep adding poly components until the hop was under control. I don't much like the idea of an engine damper because it doesn't solve the problem it hides it.
EDIT: Spelling corrections made.

Ladies and Gentleman .... I have found my editor. LOL. Good job Harley.

CHeck out BWoody bars and their findings. I concur with want they say. THe JBP bushings is a start but they do not correct the problem. there is a company that can solve it with an eliptical metal bushing but that is 1000US. but it works. I had the BWOODY bars and I had 0 wheel hop with them on. what I didnt like is the forces on supspension and steering components from the bars as you have to preload (tighten) the bars. Good product for race day. install was easy. but not what I was looking for so I sold them. I still have a faster launch with no traction aids.

If it were up and down motion only then shocks would be the thing to replace, but it is not. the other way to solve it is to actually increase your traction which means more traction patch, more sidewall to help with torque loading, and better stickier rubber compound. that means tires. what would be optimum? IMO a 17"x8 to 9" wheel wrapped with 245/45r17. WHy do you think GMPP chose that size of tire for the TIME ATTAK Cobalt? that is what they run. It not my idea....LOL. If it is good enough for GM it is likely to do wonders for me.

thanks for the review man. Hey everyone I want you to know Harley and his car inspired me to go wingless. Thanks Harley.

Last edited by ssnipes; 02-20-2007 at 11:35 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Contributing User

It is totally my pleasure. A little bit of me dies everytime one of the wings rolls off the assembly line haha well maybe not, but I am definitely a wingless fan.

The BWoody bars literally came out a month after I purchased my control arm bushings. I would have gone with the bars cause I wasn't completely sold on the bushings, but owell it happens. I'm not going to spend another $100 on the car for traction. I got a 3" pulley (haven't installed it) last fall and the car will be turned in sometime during June. 3000 miles this spring to enjoy it, maybe I will see if I can get a cheap nitrous kit...

I'm not a big fan of the extra forces on steering and suspension components. I feel like there should be a better way beyond tires and extra forces. You mention flex in the control arm, is that in the control arm itself, at the bushings, or both?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It is totally my pleasure. A little bit of me dies everytime one of the wings rolls off the assembly line haha well maybe not, but I am definitely a wingless fan.

The BWoody bars literally came out a month after I purchased my control arm bushings. I would have gone with the bars cause I wasn't completely sold on the bushings, but owell it happens. I'm not going to spend another $100 on the car for traction. I got a 3" pulley (haven't installed it) last fall and the car will be turned in sometime during June. 3000 miles this spring to enjoy it, maybe I will see if I can get a cheap nitrous kit...

I'm not a big fan of the extra forces on steering and suspension components. I feel like there should be a better way beyond tires and extra forces. You mention flex in the control arm, is that in the control arm itself, at the bushings, or both?
the flex is in the bushings not the arms. It was quite evident when watching a video by car & driver mag when doing the 60 to 0 brake tests. the wheels just fold back under braking and when it actually stops the front wheels bounce back. it is an ugly site. There is a TSB out right now for the bushings I heard about but have not confirmed of its existence yet.

traction is not obtained from bushings or so called traction aids. they prevent wheel hop. wheel hop begins at the point of loosing traction. spinning wheels works on some RWD (weight transfer etc.) but the goal is no wheel spin to move forward. Pro dragsters launch that way. FWD obviously cannot use weight transfer to gain traction for that is one of the enemies for FWD in losing traction. the only way to gain traction. TIRES, Rear Suspension setup, Rear tire inflation, and the extreme is traction bars (or sometimes called wheely bars for RWD).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
Quote:

Page 2:
Page 3:
Page 4:
top - there = their
page 5:
page 7:
top - attept = attempt

you're = your

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedashow View Post
you're = your

owned haha

I am obviously better at spelling than grammar. There is a reason I try not to use contractions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnipes View Post
the flex is in the bushings not the arms. It was quite evident when watching a video by car & driver mag when doing the 60 to 0 brake tests. the wheels just fold back under braking and when it actually stops the front wheels bounce back. it is an ugly site. There is a TSB out right now for the bushings I heard about but have not confirmed of its existence yet.

traction is not obtained from bushings or so called traction aids. they prevent wheel hop. wheel hop begins at the point of loosing traction. spinning wheels works on some RWD (weight transfer etc.) but the goal is no wheel spin to move forward. Pro dragsters launch that way. FWD obviously cannot use weight transfer to gain traction for that is one of the enemies for FWD in losing traction. the only way to gain traction. TIRES, Rear Suspension setup, Rear tire inflation, and the extreme is traction bars (or sometimes called wheely bars for RWD).
But what if I want to do burnouts? haha

I can definitely agree that the poly bushings stiffen up lateral stiffness, which will prevent most movement of the control arms in that respect. Like I said before it feels more like it is on rails than before with the poly bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode