Cobalt SS/SC guys or girls please read - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Cobalt SS/SC guys or girls please read

I am seriously considering trading in my 03 civic si for a blue cobalt ss/sc...theres a new one coming in and i'd like to come to a decision whether or not to put a deposit on it pretty quickly..

anyways, just wondering what chevy has done to beef up the 2.0L ecotec to handle the boost.. I've read a few things but most of the articles just say ''and so on and so on'' so if any of you guys know what the "so on and so on is" i would appreciate it!

also, i know the ss/sc's haven't been out that long so there's probably only a handfull with higher mileage but how have yours held up??

the cars nice and fun to drive, just concerned about the quality and reliability of it down the road

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps me out!
Elrod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributing User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 441
Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
What exactly are you looking for?? The engine in strong, forged rods and crank, oil-cooled pistons. Able to safely handle 7200+ rpms stock. I have 26000 miles on mine and it runs great, only a few small warranty problems, intercooler pump, a few sensors. Nothing major.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing User
 
wasey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
What exactly are you looking for?? The engine in strong, forged rods and crank, oil-cooled pistons. Able to safely handle 7200+ rpms stock. I have 26000 miles on mine and it runs great, only a few small warranty problems, intercooler pump, a few sensors. Nothing major.
How is the intercooler pump not major????

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
wasey13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 478
great car, its a sleeved block, forged rods and crank, kinda week but oil cooled pistons.

wekk stock clutch, decently strong tranny, decent axles as well...

fun car, got 39K on mine, its been solid!
06Black is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Contributing User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 441
Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13 View Post
How is the intercooler pump not major????
First off, its only electric. Electronic shit can go bad at any time. Second, all that happens is a loss of sustained peak power. The car drove fine, I actually drove it for a month like that before I took it to the dealer. I don't consider that a serious problem. But then again, I have built motors and such, so little stuff like that may not seem so simple to everyone.

Also, Wasey, do you enjoy the STi more than the Cobalt?? I have a great opportunity to get into a 2006 STi with 26K for about 2500 down and only $50 a month more than my balt. Same color as yours.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 02-22-2007 at 01:16 AM.
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Contributing User
 
wasey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
First off, its only electric. Electronic shit can go bad at any time. Second, all that happens is a loss of sustained peak power. The car drove fine, I actually drove it for a month like that before I took it to the dealer. I don't consider that a serious problem. But then again, I have built motors and such, so little stuff like that may not seem so simple to everyone.

Also, Wasey, do you enjoy the STi more than the Cobalt?? I have a great opportunity to get into a 2006 STi with 26K for about 2500 down and only $50 a month more than my balt. Same color as yours.
I guess as long as you weren't burning anything up it wasn't that serious.

They are different beasts. I got my STI in November of 05 and have 21k and that is HIGH mileage. So 26k is quite a bit. I drove the SS/SC at an autocross event in 2004 for the first time and on a test drive before I got the STI. The only thing that is superior on the ss/sc is the gas mileage and sound system and maybe ride noise/comfort.

If I were you I would try to pick up an 07, they are the best STIs out, period. If not wait for a better deal on one with lower miles. Other than that dude test drive one and fall in love. Also all stock STI's rear suspension clunk.

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
wasey13 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Contributing User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,170
I've loved my SS/SC. I wasn't looking at getting one since I already had a sporty car in the driveway, but I couldn't get financed for it, so I went down $10k in price. It has been a blast every single day and I have enjoyed every single minute. The problems I've had were the cruise control failed and one of the calipers were poorly machined which caused it to fall off (all covered by warranty). As far as I'm aware of I'm the only person who has experienced this problem one the SS/SC so I wouldn't take it too seriously. I've made several interstate trips and have been rewarded with mpg averaging over 30. Also, my wife's escort broke down about 6 weeks ago so when I haven't needed my car I've given it to her. She used to want to an Equinox, now she is going for the SS/NA 5-speed (thinks the SC has too much power) which is comparable to the new Si in bhp and has much more tq. I have ~24.5k miles on my car. I'm glad I got it.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
domin8_gt is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:58 AM
Contributing User
 
wasey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
I've loved my SS/SC. I wasn't looking at getting one since I already had a sporty car in the driveway, but I couldn't get financed for it, so I went down $10k in price. It has been a blast every single day and I have enjoyed every single minute. The problems I've had were the cruise control failed and one of the calipers were poorly machined which caused it to fall off (all covered by warranty). As far as I'm aware of I'm the only person who has experienced this problem one the SS/SC so I wouldn't take it too seriously. I've made several interstate trips and have been rewarded with mpg averaging over 30. Also, my wife's escort broke down about 6 weeks ago so when I haven't needed my car I've given it to her. She used to want to an Equinox, now she is going for the SS/NA 5-speed (thinks the SC has too much power) which is comparable to the new Si in bhp and has much more tq. I have ~24.5k miles on my car. I'm glad I got it.
But is still slower. Please don't tell me you are one of those diehard, "horsepower sales cars, torque wins races" kind of guys.

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
wasey13 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13 View Post
But is still slower. Please don't tell me you are one of those diehard, "horsepower sales cars, torque wins races" kind of guys.
Just listing facts. I'm actually a hp makes cars go faster at higher rpm's while tq drinks your gas kind of guy. BTW, horsepower isn't much without torque. Ask a Honda owner in San Fransisco who has to buy clutches all the time.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
domin8_gt is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13 View Post
But is still slower. Please don't tell me you are one of those diehard, "horsepower sales cars, torque wins races" kind of guys.
You have to push the Si a lot harder to get that horsepower out of the car though, plus the 6 speed is actually a lot of work, I often think it should have been geared higher but if they did that it does not take advantage of the high revs on the car, which your diehard honda fans just love. I don't think a non sc SS would be a bad choice for someone looking for a reasonably zippy car, it may not be as fast as the Si but she won't have to work so hard to drive it either.
RTShadow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want 16" Steelies for your 2006 Cobalt SS? READ HERE!!! ZEXGTP General Discussion 1 10-21-2006 10:20 PM
Stage 2 Kit VA/Maryland Cobalt owners please read!! ohshitz Performance Modifications 10 04-08-2006 06:15 PM
hot hot... hot girls all over my car :) selfinfliction Picture/Media Post 48 08-16-2005 10:02 PM
Guys, be good to your girls... JDMCivic Off-Topic Discussion 18 06-30-2005 12:47 PM
our bad ss video with girls going wild music [email protected] Picture/Media Post 4 04-25-2005 08:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome