My Colbalt SS/SC Nightmare - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Angry My Colbalt SS/SC Nightmare

Don't get my wrong.. I still love my bault (or want to love it) and am proud of it.. but its a POS! I think I just got a bad egg.

I have an 06 SS/SC with about 12k miles. I got it brand new. We have a love/hate relationship.. Heres a list of the warranty work and problems.

Day 2: Goes out of allignment at 200 miles.. BADLY for no reason..

First week: Door comes off... not literally but there was about a 3/4 gap in the top of the door.. It began to rub the car.

Second week: Shifter breaks.. literally comes off in my hand.

Third week: Wheels peel.. had to warranty two wheels.

First month: Cruise control stops working.. Three times..Reset 3 times at chevy.. One time the button stuck.. Chevy said this was a common problem with the GTO and Cobalt SS. It was due to touching the clutch or shifting while in cruise. I beg to differ. It magically works now.. They said they did nothing different when reseting it.. I've tried to mess it up now but it works.. Went without cruise for a good 2 months.

Second month: Silver dash peices around stereo began to peel.. paint rubs off with a touch of a finger.

Third month: Stage 2 upgrade.. clutch simply cannot handle it. From digs the clutch can't handle being raced. I know how to drive a clutch. My neighboor owns a quarter mile dragstrip and races pro street and alcohol.. I wanted him to see what time he could get in my car since I couldn't keep the clutch from slipping.. It simply can't run a quarter under 17 because the clutch slips. He said the clutch is "a fucking donkey". lol.. I cannot race anyone on the street because the clutch will slip so easily when floored. I got beat by a G6... really frustrating.

Currently: Battery dies every morning. Stock ones won't keep it going. Chevy planning to pay for an aftermarket one.

The dash is seperating at the display. Constantly rattles. Tightening isn't fixing it.

Car ran out of gas when it said I had just under a quarter of a tank left..

Foglight burns out.. I didn't even use them! Good excuse to get white bulbs.

I live in Missouri.. Everyday this winter when it was below 20 degrees. The car starts rough.. and sputters for 2-3 minutes. Sometimes shutting down.

Theres many more small complaints but Im not going to list them all.. Its making me angry re-living all of it.

If I wasn't suck a damn loyal chevy fan I would have driven this thing through the showroom window.. and said here take this piece back. I simply don't know what to do.. Chevy has been real assholes about the whole thing. Im about to get an lawyer. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap when I purchased a brand new car. EVERY WEEK THERE IS SOMETHING! No wonder there are so many imports around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 AM

sounds like you got a lemon.. i'd look into the lemon laws and see if you can get a new cobalt.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

I looked into the lemon laws a little bit. I've heard it does not apply. It has to be the same thing wrong over and over again. Or prolonged engine and drivetrain failures. Despite the repeated cruise problems, It is considered a conveinence add-on and does not apply. Maybe I should officially talk to a lawyer. Im sure nothing would happen and I would be stuck with this thing falling apart. Chevy has their back covered pretty well. sigh.

When chevy told me that my cruise was screwed and may never work properly. I asked for a refund on the cruise. (If I pay for it.. and it doesn't work... I want compensation) They said Its not something you pay for seperately so it couldn't be refunded. That was chevy corporate offices themselves saying that.. I opened up a case on the chevy support line.. they did and investigation into my dealer and pretty much told me that there was nothing they can do for me besides keep fixing the car.. Its all part of the warranty deal.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 AM

that sucks, odd you have 90 % of chevys problems, but all should still be replkaced and not have ot worry about it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

What doesn't sound right? Yes, Everything has been warranteed and fixed.. Accept for the clutch.. I'm going in monday to discuss it with chevy.. I actually doubt they do anything. I did not notice the clutch slip before the stage 2. Its only when you really give it hell and start hitting full boost. I never said the door fell off either.... It was just horribly out of alignment and was sagging so bad it nearly wouldn't shut. Sorry, I was just venting because in the 7 months I've had my car I've been in for warranty work every month. The thing just won't stay together. Everyone at the dealership knows me by name. I know it will all be replaced but its rediculous.. I don't have time to take my car in all the time. Its not what I got a new car for..

Last edited by ssilver; 03-04-2007 at 07:38 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:48 AM

yea i changed my above statement. i realised i was adding 2 diff threads together on that. also i didnt mean to sound harsh. sorry.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributing User

I would recommend talking to an attorney about the lemon laws in your area. It sounds like you were handed a bunch of bull when they told you didn't apply for lemon law status. Just my 2 cents.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Second month: Silver dash peices around stereo began to peel.. paint rubs off with a touch of a finger.

I personally had a problem with that also, but I painted mine to match the car.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 PM

06 must be a bad year in general. I had an 06 and it got so bad i bought an 07 and traded the 06 so far no probs except my brakes are going bad agian so i think ill go with the GMPP slotted and drilled rotors and hawk pad to solve the problems.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing User

And to think STIs are over-rated

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode