how reliable are the cobalt ss/sc's? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

how reliable are the cobalt ss/sc's?

im going to be looking at an left over 06 silver cobalt ss/sc some time this week since the guy is giving me a good deal on it. i was wondering how reliable they are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 AM

same as any car, they are as reliable as you make them. if you take care of it and not rag on it on the time it will run for a long time. but if you dont maintain it and beat it up it may break down on you
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baknblack View Post
same as any car, they are as reliable as you make them. if you take care of it and not rag on it on the time it will run for a long time. but if you dont maintain it and beat it up it may break down on you
other than horrible tread life on stock tires its a wonderful car, good luck and congrats.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy9from0hell View Post
im going to be looking at an left over 06 silver cobalt ss/sc some time this week since the guy is giving me a good deal on it. i was wondering how reliable they are?
Not very. Especially if you plan on modding.

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13 View Post
Not very. Especially if you plan on modding.
let me guess he should go buy a subaru? funny i know alot of people with modded cobalts that never had any issues. this guys is asking a serious question quit screwing around. i have not been here very long, but i have picked up on some friction related to you on here , eh? so lets leave the smack to related forums????
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
let me guess he should go buy a subaru? funny i know alot of people with modded cobalts that never had any issues. this guys is asking a serious question quit screwing around. i have not been here very long, but i have picked up on some friction related to you on here , eh? so lets leave the smack to related forums????
So out of those "a lot of people with modded cobalt that never had any issues." none of them have had problems with their clutches???

Subaru at least covers their clutches and brakes for the first 3years/36,000 miles. The clutch warranty would probably be pretty helpful to you SS/SC guys.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 AM

hey dude i am not saying they have the best clutches in the world, but based on what you said the problem would be with the warranty not the car. but to me if you put a stage ii kit on a stock car and all kinds of other goodies and dont upgrade your stock clutch you are looking for problems in any car
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
hey dude i am not saying they have the best clutches in the world, but based on what you said the problem would be with the warranty not the car. but to me if you put a stage ii kit on a stock car and all kinds of other goodies and dont upgrade your stock clutch you are looking for problems in any car

My car has stage 2 and is fine. The car has 22,000 miles and stage 2 for about the last 8,000 miles. I DRIVE IT HARD. So speak for yourself.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM

ok and continue to drive it that way and see what happens. bet you get outside of your prized 30k mile subaru warranty and you have issues, then you will be singing a different tune. your car only has 22k on it, give it a while, anyway i am not going to keep arguing with you. my whole point from the get go was if you take care of your car it will be reliable. "DRIVING IT HARD" is not taking care of it. your not having issues, thats good you shouldnt but i am sure its not the case with everyone.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
ok and continue to drive it that way and see what happens. bet you get outside of your prized 30k mile subaru warranty and you have issues, then you will be singing a different tune. your car only has 22k on it, give it a while, anyway i am not going to keep arguing with you. my whole point from the get go was if you take care of your car it will be reliable. "DRIVING IT HARD" is not taking care of it. your not having issues, thats good you shouldnt but i am sure its not the case with everyone.
It is the case with STIs, WRXs though sometimes their clutches crap out and Subaru being a good company BACKS UP their products. Also it's 36k, not 30k.

A Cobalt is only reliable if you drive it like an old lady. If you drive it hard the clutch goes out, if you hook with decent power the axles snap, if you make around 300whp the engine blows. This is just with driving hard. With normal driving the car dies, shift knob pops off, sunroof button falls off, paint chips, wheel paint chips, etc. etc. etc. Now I will say the 2006 and 2007 Cobalts are leaps and bounds more reliable than the 2005s but still have a lot of problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode