Cobalts SS banner

Should CobaltSS establish a profanity filter for the forums?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • No.

Votes: 54 62.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should we establish a profanity filter?

15K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  ekool 
#1 ·
This poll will be a simple yes or no poll. A profanity filter would simply take words
considered to be profane and turn them into *****.

Duration: 2 weeks.

At the end of the poll, the one with the most votes will reign supreme.

#28 ·
KSE said:
Who cares... right? LOL...

Seriously though. If they're gonna filter it out, I say filter them all. No point in bing ANTI-f*ckers only.. LOL. it will only encourage people to use the other ones...
Agreed KSE, even though my original intention was to just get the F-word filtered, or at least see what everyone else thought about its free use.
I know some of the younger crowd doesn't find it very offensive(and honestly I don't either), but I know for a fact there are those that do. I just think we need to let the members decide, and leave it at that. Hopefully the Admins will get some help for the MODs so they can try to enjoy this site also instead of constantly editing posts.

#30 ·
KSE said:
I also would like to add that this forum needs more MOD-Power. Chris and Paul do a great job and all, but 2 MODS can't control everything.

ekool, castrol.... choose atleast 2 more if you want things back in order.

Double the man-power for now.

I'll help out, and believe me.. there wont be any BS. It'll go away slowly but surely. If you guys think I can't be a MOD, check out ATF. I'm the Admin along with JDMcivic and tell me if our forum is "out of control."

I offered my help to ekool MONTHS ago, before Chris and Paul.

This time, I say you guys dont do a public vote... choose them yourselves.

I'm up for it, just let me know.

Awww... Did somebody get thier feelings hurt because they didn't get to be a mod?

This is a car site. In theory, everyone is atleast 16. I think we are all mature enough to be able to read a profane word without getting offended. Do you giggle when someone says "pianist"?
Uhoh, I here the PC Police on thier way.

#34 ·
One thing everyone forgets about is the "report a post" function. Looks like this at the
bottom of EVERY post...

See a troll? Want him gone? Click that button. It tells everyone. Well, all the mods anyway.

Some sites enjoy the trolls for a while. Some practice their "internet thuggin" skilz on
the trolls. Some make for humourous time killing. If you guys need the trolls banned
quicker, simply click that button. Bannage is a click away.

As for the profanity, I am an adult as are the rest of the people on this site. As someone
said before, it is a car site. We are all adults. We unfortunately have to deal with the
good and bad in society. We don't have to like it, but we have to deal with it if we
want to continue to be a productive member of society.

#35 ·
Hypothetical situation follows:
First it starts with the words. They "ban" the words. Then they start noticing that people are using alternate words and they can't keep up with banning those words so they ban the individual.
Then they start noticing that other individuals are using the alternate words, so they ban them too.
Then they start to notice a "trend" that certain types of users follow, so they ban everyone they feel "follows" this trend. Then they feel that it's a certain age group and/or race that is getting banned all the time so they just mass ban everyone of that age group or race.
It's only a few short steps to go from censorship to Auschwitz.
What? No European history buffs here? :D

#36 ·
iball said:
Hypothetical situation follows:
First it starts with the words. They "ban" the words. Then they start noticing that people are using alternate words and they can't keep up with banning those words so they ban the individual.
Then they start noticing that other individuals are using the alternate words, so they ban them too.
Then they start to notice a "trend" that certain types of users follow, so they ban everyone they feel "follows" this trend. Then they feel that it's a certain age group and/or race that is getting banned all the time so they just mass ban everyone of that age group or race.
It's only a few short steps to go from censorship to Auschwitz.
What? No European history buffs here? :D
Ha Ha... Quite a thinker you are eh? LoL

Honestly though, our moderators are to 'loose' with the ban filter FOR THE MOST PART, I doubt to many people will get banned! Just a slap on the rist and a 10 minute timeout! LoL

#38 ·
hookdupdelsol said:
Ha Ha... Quite a thinker you are eh? LoL

Honestly though, our moderators are to 'loose' with the ban filter FOR THE MOST PART, I doubt to many people will get banned! Just a slap on the rist and a 10 minute timeout! LoL

Actually, untrue. Someone once posted something racist over on another forum and eKool banned him on the spot. There are limits to everything.

#39 ·
KSE said:
LOL... Mike trolls our forum!!!! LOL.. I dont think I'd troll our own forum... LOL. hahahahahha

Yes, your button works. ;)

I am also a moderator over here. I get reports and I do what is nessesary for the report. It is next to impossible for me to read everything. I am also a moderator on the site I frequent the most (SRTforums).

As Castrol said, the button is there so use it. This is how it gets fixed.

As for profanity. I am NOT one for censors. Trolls are trolls and get delt with accordingly. I have said a few words in my posts cause it is how I would talk. I don't call people motherphukers or use it to talk DOWN at someone. I use it as a descriptive. I.E.

That part is a hunk of chit.

or

This car has some A$$ to it.

AGAIN:
I am NOT one for censors.

I know on other sites you have to click if you are over the age blah blah and even have a choice to censor posts or not. Can't this be used here?

#40 ·
wow... I can't believe that I'm seeing this... good lord...

People start getting yelled at for excessive language, and they're gonna find another board. People use it all the time, and they're gonna find another board. Ya'll better figure out how to self-censor. I was a member of a Saturn board that used it for 2 weeks. That was enough of that. When I'm pissed and want to use the word shit, and it gets edited to 'poopy' that's the end of that forum.

This is a site for people over 16. This is a site for car owners. This is not romper room. Hell, we had people posting nude girls in their avatars, and all it took was one request for people to stop. Most of the people didnt care, but a few of the girls, and one male member had some issues. I look at the sites at work, so naked girls are not acceptable. As do alot of people.

I just can't believe that people are voting on this... my guess, is if people start getting censored, our sister site will go through some sudden membership boom. I hope this isn't to 'protect' the younger kids, since I used MUCH worse language when I was 13, than I do now...

#42 ·
I'm a mod at the Redline Forums over there...

*Spooner points to the hard drive of the server...*

So I know what's up...

How many people have their SS's at this point? Still a low percentage? Might be the biggest issue right there...

#43 ·
I have been reading this thread along with the one originally started by Lonewholf over the last few days. I have to say I totally agree with there being a word filter as it is just plain bad for business. Simple as that..... I do have a suggestion that I have seen used on another site I frequent. It simply puts -blam- in place of any word that has been blocked. I however do not know how easy this would be to implement. That way people don't have to stop writing how they talk/feel and it gets the point across. For you out there who don't agree with the way I feel about this just know I use that kind of language all day EVERY day. And I didn't use it once this whole post!!!! :eek: :D

#45 ·
KSE said:
Why is that an issue?

you dont have one... why are you here?...Not fair huh?
KSE, maybe because of this being listed on the home page "CobaltSS.com is a site dedicated to the Chevy Cobalt SS. CobaltSS.com provides you with forums, discussion, information, pictures and media related to the Chevy Cobalt SS. "

He has a point in a way.. There are not that many on here that have a COBALT SS, and probably don't intend to ever get one! That is also why there are so many guests always listed(right now 15 members and 20 guests viewing), people out there are trying to find out information on the Cobalt. However this site seems to attract all types of car enthusiasts, and that is where alot of the problems start(mine is better then yours, blah, blah, blah!!).
The last site I was a truly active member on didn't take any crap from anyone, unless you owned that type of car. They were and still are very protective of there own.. We don't have that here... YET! I lurked on this site and COBALTSS, before I made the decision to purchase my Cobalt and didn't make any posts until the night it was in my driveway.
It would be interesting to take a poll to see how many "active" members have a Chevy COBALT, or intend to get one in the near future ;)

#46 ·
KSE said:
Why is that an issue?

you dont have one... why are you here?...Not fair huh?
It's the exact same car.... :rolleyes:

It's the fact that 1/2 the discussions tend to degrade into a dick sizing contest about someone's brother's, cousin's, buddy's *insert car name* instead of people talking about the car. I'm not exactly new to this place, or to forums. How does your questioning my right to respond have anything to do with excessive foul language? Were I an immature jerk, I'd get all pissy and start insulting you. Which would result in the above excess of foul language. I did my own search on his offensive term, and without taking detailed notes, a large percentage of his complaints stem from statements like...

"Screw you fkin POS *insert car name*, your a Fkin dumbass..."

After an otherwise useful post degrades into a useless arguement....

#47 ·
Sp00ner said:
It's the exact same car.... :rolleyes:

It's the fact that 1/2 the discussions tend to degrade into a dick sizing contest about someone's brother's, cousin's, buddy's *insert car name* instead of people talking about the car. I'm not exactly new to this place, or to forums. I did my own search on his offensive term, and without taking detailed notes, a large percentage of his complaints stem from statements like...

"Screw you fkin POS *insert car name*, your a Fkin dumbass..."

After an otherwise useful post degrades into a useless arguement....
Sp00ner, if you are talking about "my"(his) complaint/offensive term, you are correct along with everything else you said above :) .

#48 ·
Lonewholf said:
Sp00ner, if you are talking about "my"(his) complaint/offensive term, you are correct along with everything else you said above :) .
Yes sir, I am.

#49 · (Edited)
Sp00ner said:
Yes sir, I am.
Thank you ... I too would like to see more useful posts on our cars, especially on ideas of dressing them up :cool: Well.... at least until some of the performance parts start hitting the shelves :D
EDIT:
Oh, and as far as a ROMPER ROOM, I think you will see that was never my intentions.. One word, and its excessive use was all I questioned, and it was not so much to protect the younger crowd, but the older crowd that doesn't take kindly to it(if that makes any sense).. I just hope everything works out for the best.

#50 ·
The last site I was a truly active member on didn't take any crap from anyone, unless you owned that type of car. They were and still are very protective of there own.. We don't have that here... YET!
I hope it never does. Protecting your own is completely different from not listening to others comments. I do not own one, nor will I for financial reasons, but I don't come here to bash or talk down to people. I am sure John isn't out to make a TOTALLY cobaltss owners only club for this entire website. If you all want something like that why not just make up your own version just like the SRTforums:

CSSoc (Cobalt SS owners club)

I am sure you could get your own little room on this site with members only allowed to talk. It would be a single password protected room. I know that can happen cause MANY sites I am a member on have them (Super-offtopic, Shit Talk, Advanced Mechanics).

Limiting ones self expression is only the beginning. If you must have a filter, get one for you, NOT everone else. I am just not one for it.

My

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.