Cobalts SS banner

driving at night

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  EndZz 
#1 ·
anyone else have this problem where you're driving at night and there's another car off in the distance, who, as they approach you either flip or just turn on their high beams, as if to let you know YOUR high beams are on... when they're not. it happens at least once every night to me, and when i flash my high beams at them, they stop. i know the lights on my ss aren't that bright, so are they possibly aimed too high? all i know is i've started swearing heavily every time this happens, and one day(night) i'm just gonna snap.

#3 ·
iso said:
anyone else have this problem where you're driving at night and there's another car off in the distance, who, as they approach you either flip or just turn on their high beams, as if to let you know YOUR high beams are on... when they're not. it happens at least once every night to me, and when i flash my high beams at them, they stop. i know the lights on my ss aren't that bright, so are they possibly aimed too high? all i know is i've started swearing heavily every time this happens, and one day(night) i'm just gonna snap.
Make sure they're adjusted. I get that sometimes in my Redline too, but the lights are fine... kinda odd...

#5 ·
Although I have only had my SS for a week (today is a week happy birthday to my SS!!) I drive it an hour to work every morning and haven't had one person flash their high beams at me. I even have my fog lights on at the time too (Yeah I am addicted to using them)......

#6 ·
yea it looks rich with the fog lights.. haha everytime my lights turn on i turn the fogs on... i wish they turned on when the lights did tho

#7 ·
foXll17 said:
yea it looks rich with the fog lights.. haha everytime my lights turn on i turn the fogs on... i wish they turned on when the lights did tho

Hahah I'm the same way, I just don't like the funky green symbol that lights up when you have them on.

#8 ·
i read the owner's manual (yea i'm that weird), and there's actually a test you can do to see if you're lights are aimed right. now all i need is 20 feet of level ground and a perfectly parallel wall. whatever, i'll get around to checking that out, for now... i've resorted to just flipping off everyone who flashes their high beams at me. oh, and hell yea i drive around with the fog lamps on too... if you've got em, might as well use em.

#10 ·
iso said:
i've resorted to just flipping off everyone who flashes their high beams at me.
LMAO...I guess that's one solution to the problem :D. I've had a couple of people flash me in my LS so I got the alignment checked and they were dead center, nothing wrong with them at all. Maybe it's just the radius with which they project out of the headlamps is different than most vehicles you see on the road :confused:?

Permafried-

#11 ·
i dunno, i noticed the other night that when i was driving (tailgating) an 18-wheeler, my lights cam up to about just under half of the height of the ginormous truck. maybe mine are aimed too high afterall. there's about 5 other things wrong with my car, why not the lights? i'm having my dad take it to the dealer in two weeks when i leave for school. thins way i'll have something to drive until i leave. they'll probably have to have my car for a while, since they need to fix my clutch too.

#12 ·
iso said:
i dunno, i noticed the other night that when i was driving (tailgating) an 18-wheeler, my lights cam up to about just under half of the height of the ginormous truck. maybe mine are aimed too high afterall. there's about 5 other things wrong with my car, why not the lights? i'm having my dad take it to the dealer in two weeks when i leave for school. thins way i'll have something to drive until i leave. they'll probably have to have my car for a while, since they need to fix my clutch too.
I'm assuming you already posted on this already but what in the world is wrong with your clutch :eek:?

Permafried-

#14 ·
Permafried- said:
I'm assuming you already posted on this already but what in the world is wrong with your clutch :eek:?

Permafried-
it slips second when i'm driving it hard. it'll just spin the clutch until you let off the gays, and i've lost a couple races to shitty cars because of this. (a CIVIC beat me!) my older brother has been driving stick for about five years, he's got an 03 infiniti g35, and he did the same thing while driving it. i thought at first it was something i was doing, but after driving his car, i've realized it's just my clutch. i'm hoping it's something fixable. also, it grinds gears all the time (mostly switching into second or reverse), even when i have the clutch pedal on the floor. it pisses me off. especially when it happens while i'm driving and then the people around me just think i shift like a retarded monkey.

#15 ·
iball said:
Careful, but I flashed my lights at someone once.
Turned out to be a cop. He pulled me over and gave me a warning not to do it again.
dude, that sucks. at least he only gave you a warning. he could have busted you in the face with his nightstick! (at least that's what i feel like doing when someone flashes their high beams at me)

#16 ·
iso said:
it slips second when i'm driving it hard. it'll just spin the clutch until you let off the gays, and i've lost a couple races to shitty cars because of this. (a CIVIC beat me!) my older brother has been driving stick for about five years, he's got an 03 infiniti g35, and he did the same thing while driving it. i thought at first it was something i was doing, but after driving his car, i've realized it's just my clutch. i'm hoping it's something fixable. also, it grinds gears all the time (mostly switching into second or reverse), even when i have the clutch pedal on the floor. it pisses me off. especially when it happens while i'm driving and then the people around me just think i shift like a retarded monkey.
Ouch, that is definitely something that needs to be looked at. It seems strange it only grinds in second and reverse though, really hope it's not the tranny itself. I'm still fairly new to this but it may be possible your syncro is messed up on second gear...as for reverse not sure about that one at all. Hopefully everything is covered under warranty and there's no problems...don't let them pull the "you drive the hell outta your car" routine :).

Permafried-

#17 ·
Well I don't see that any of you are from So. Cal over here EVERYONE has really bright lights and mine are low compared to 90% of all the other cars on the road. So when someone has bright lights here and there at an intersection in front of me blinding me the standard is to turn on your high beams and blind them back lol. If you think your stock SS lights are bright you'd go blind living here shoot I'm trying to find something nice to make them brighter!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.