Cobalts SS banner

Known Cobalt Problems...

156K views 353 replies 114 participants last post by  chevylet 
#1 · (Edited)
All Cobalts:

Body molding and fabric flaws,not fitting correctly or measured properly from the factory... Take to dealer. Sunroofed cars the operating button falling off and the track breaking....Take to dealer or super glue.
Headlight moisture...Take to dealer or take apart, dry, and reseal better.
Exterior part's colors not matching exactly... Live with it.
Shift knob breaking off...Take to dealer.
Fog lights shorting out... Take to dealer.

Cobalt SS/SC:

Wheel paint chipping/flaking and clutch problems...Take to dealer.
Muffler's heat shield's baffles loosen, causing rattling noise...Take to dealer.
Wires melting and grounding out, causing rough or no start or rough driving/idle(Wires)...Take to dealer or reposition wires.
Rough shifting/Not going into gear... Take to dealer.
Windows rolling up slow... Take to dealer.
Speedometer gets stuck... Take to dealer
Pinion going out in the rack and pinion steering... Take to dealer.

Also people before purchasing your car check for these problems, they should all be taken care of at the dealer.

Mods/Admins this should also be stickied, so people can ask about problems here or post new problems here. Also people post fixes for all these problems if availible. Also Mods/Admins post service bulletins here if/when some are available and also Edit this if you want to make it look nicer or to add/erase stuff.

See less See more
#2 ·
how about the body panels not lining up seemlessly/noticable gaps between panels? there's a couple spots on my ss where the body panels don't transition smoothly and there's either a gap or a lip. i'm not sure if i'm the only person wih this and if it's only on the ss/coupe/or all the models.

#290 ·
theres actually a tsb out for the front bumper not lining up with the fender. You have to take it to the dealer and they have to removed the bumper, drill out the reinforcment and reinstall the bumper.

#4 ·
iso said:
how about the body panels not lining up seemlessly/noticable gaps between panels? there's a couple spots on my ss where the body panels don't transition smoothly and there's either a gap or a lip. i'm not sure if i'm the only person wih this and if it's only on the ss/coupe/or all the models.

Your not alone, the fascia on the front and back of mine doesnt line up for shit it looks like it was cut out and moulded by a blind man.

#7 ·
selfinfliction said:
SS = passenger's side door armrest has the leather cut too short to fit properly around the handle.
i was told by my dealer that this was "normal" and that 90% of them come from the factory that way. they wouldn't even bother TRYING to order me a new one cuz they said the replacement would *probably* be the same way.

#9 ·
Right there with you!!!!!!

I also noticed that the left front fender of my cobalt SS at the bottom of the headlamp doesn't line up correctly with lamp, and the brake light comes on, it only happened 3 times since I bought it 2 months ago. Also the inside door handle, the leather is short and and comes out but not really noticable you know what I mean. But other than that, I don't have any major problems. I still love my Cobalt SS/SC

#10 ·
iso said:
i was told by my dealer that this was "normal" and that 90% of them come from the factory that way. they wouldn't even bother TRYING to order me a new one cuz they said the replacement would *probably* be the same way.

tell the dealer to shove it because one dealer told me that and i took it to the place where i bought it and as soon as i pulled in they took a few minutes and ordered one without question, along with ordering the passenger's side door thing.

what i have learned is that you need to befriend someone at the service dept. at a dealer and make sure you keep them as a friend because they can help you beyond belief when it comes to warranty work.

#11 ·
selfinfliction said:
tell the dealer to shove it because one dealer told me that and i took it to the place where i bought it and as soon as i pulled in they took a few minutes and ordered one without question, along with ordering the passenger's side door thing.

what i have learned is that you need to befriend someone at the service dept. at a dealer and make sure you keep them as a friend because they can help you beyond belief when it comes to warranty work.
A dealer by my house not the one i bought my car from is having a Vinyl/Leather company come to the dealer to size,fit, and install it at the dealership monday of next week. I would've had it done tomorrow or sometime this week by i work all week.

#12 ·
yeah, actually, i'm having my dad (big scary italian guy) go back to the dealer with it after i leave for school, to get them to fix my clutch and the door panel. i'm also gonna ask em about the body panel around the headlight, cuz the gap is HUUUUGE.

#13 ·
I've taken my SS/SC in 3 times to where I bought it now because of 2nd gear popping out on me. Everytime, they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and didn't find anything wrong (although 2 of my friends have also driven it and had it happen to them, also). I've finally taken it to a different dealer today and hope they'll actually do something with it. Which reminds me, I'll have to give them a call tomorrow because I forgot to mention my brake light comes on going down the road, also. :rolleyes:

I also have the problem with the trim on the passenger door, but it is barely noticable, and I don't know if I'll bother with it.

#15 ·
My exhaust has a rattle when it's cold, but once it warms up, it stops.

#16 ·
I've taken my SS/SC in 3 times to where I bought it now because of 2nd gear popping out on me. I've finally taken it to a different dealer today and hope they'll actually do something with it.
Dealer gave me my car back today, along with the same line the first dealer gave me: "we couldn't duplicate the problem." Funny thing is, the odometer only reads 2 more miles on it than when I brought it in. They must have spent all of 5 minutes working on my car, nice effort.

#17 ·
rock555 said:
does anyone have a rattle comin from the passenger front side. theres on under the steering wheel on that panel but i cant figure out where the other one is coming from
Try leaving your glove box open and see if it goes away. My glove box rattles, and I have the exact same drivers side noise. Damn annoying. :mad:

#18 ·
iso said:
You better find another dealer to work with. I just got my car back from my dealer and they ordered and replaced the entire door panel (black/red) with no questions asked....and the new one is not the same. It looked good.

#19 ·
since the day i got my car, i've had startup issues, where it nearly stalls on start up, revs to around 1500 rpms, nearly stalls again, revs to about 1500 again, nearly stalls again, and levels off at around 900 rpm's, dealer "can't duplicate it" amazing, as now it happens just about every time i start up....

#20 ·
mken said:
I've taken my SS/SC in 3 times to where I bought it now because of 2nd gear popping out on me. Everytime, they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and didn't find anything wrong (although 2 of my friends have also driven it and had it happen to them, also). I've finally taken it to a different dealer today and hope they'll actually do something with it. Which reminds me, I'll have to give them a call tomorrow because I forgot to mention my brake light comes on going down the road, also. :rolleyes:

I also have the problem with the trim on the passenger door, but it is barely noticable, and I don't know if I'll bother with it.

My car pops out of 3rd gear, I havent taken it in yet because my STEALership service men are dicks. I am going to let it get so bad it wont even go in 3rd gear before i take mine :mad:

#21 ·
I have a bunch of problems with minelets see Major one is after driving about 20-28 miles at about 80mph the steering wheel starts to rattle pretty bad and and the left brake starts to lock up on top of that the engine goes up nearly 35F I swear if they say they can't duplicate it I'm going to raise hell cause there is no way i'm paying for the rental they gave me I'll kill the guy first. there theres the door panel like everyone else they ordered that and it pops out of 5th gear all the time. does anyone know why it pops out of gear what "mechanically" is wrong with the car?

#23 ·
mken said:

I have been having the same problems but mine is popping out of 5th gear and the brake light and the abs light keeps coming on and the dealership keeps telling us the same thing they repalced an abs module but a couple days later the same thing started happening again.

#24 ·
sslemon said:
I have been having the same problems but mine is popping out of 5th gear and the brake light and the abs light keeps coming on and the dealership keeps telling us the same thing they repalced an abs module but a couple days later the same thing started happening again.
I have two friends, both with SRT 4, when ever you get on there car real hard, the "brake" light comes on and flashes, but under normal driving conditions it is fine. AS for an update with my car it is getting worse so i will let youy know soon when the tranny breaks..........it wont ake long I promise :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#26 ·
Shift light?

My shift light has never come on, is this normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.