Cobalt SS Supercharged Wins Time Attack on 'Street Tuner Challenge' - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Cobalt SS Supercharged Wins Time Attack on 'Street Tuner Challenge'

BUTTONWILLOW, Calif. - Timing is everything, and the timing of the new Cobalt SS Supercharged's introduction couldn't be better. As Chevy's new sport compact performance car debuts in dealer showrooms, it already has a record-setting pedigree. Driver John Heinricy piloted a race-prepared Cobalt SS Supercharged on a challenging road course at the Buttonwillow Raceway Park on July 21, 2005, besting both the legendary Nissan Skyline and the new Volkswagen Jetta by more than seven seconds. The Cobalt SS, which is based on Chevy's new factory-built front-wheel-drive Super Sport, posted a time of 1:58 around Buttonwillow's #13 track configuration, which was fast enough to eclipse the marks set by the All-Wheel-Drive, twin-turbo Skyline (2:05) and the nitrous-charged Jetta (2:07).

"It was an absolute blast to run the Cobalt SS Supercharged flat-out on the Buttonwillow track," said Heinricy, current SCCA driving champion and GM Performance Division's Director of High Performance Vehicle Operations. "GM Performance Division and the Powell Motorsports crew gave me a perfectly prepared car, and the Ecotec engine ran flawlessly."

A television crew from Speed Channel's Street Tuner Challenge was on hand to direct the day's competition at the track. The Street Tuner Challenge chose three vehicle makes representing North America (Chevrolet Cobalt SS), Europe (Volkswagen Jetta) and Asia (Nissan Skyline) and followed each team throughout a 13-week build competition. The Cobalt build team was comprised of engineers and designers from the GM Performance Division and Powell Motorsports, while the Nissan Skyline was built by XS Engineering and the Jetta was assembled by Autobahn Designs. The final time attack race served as the build completion and the culmination of Speed Channel's taping. For program times, please check Speed Channel's Web site at http:www.speedtv.com.

The production Cobalt SS Supercharged has strong performance credentials in factory trim. Powered by a supercharged and intercooled 205-horsepower, 2.0-liter Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine and equipped with a tenacious suspension developed on Germany's famed Nurburgring race track, the production Cobalt SS Supercharged will bring more heat to the already red-hot sport compact segment.

GM Performance Division created the Cobalt SS for this time attack competition to demonstrate the ultimate capabilities of the four-cylinder, supercharged Ecotec engine and Chevy's new front-wheel-drive "tuner" car. The program was led by the GM Performance Division, in collaboration with Chevrolet, GM Powertrain, GM Performance Parts, and GM Design. Powell Motorsports in Blackstock, Ontario, Canada provided vehicle preparation and logistical support for the successful assault on the time attack.

"The Cobalt SS Supercharged surpassed every expectation we had going into this competition," said Heinricy. "We came to Buttonwillow to demonstrate the performance and reliability of the Ecotec engine on a very demanding track. The Cobalt SS and the entire team performed to the highest standards. We're out here to be the best, and today we proved that Chevy and GM Performance Division race to win."

Enthusiasts will be able to catch a live glimpse of the Time Attack Cobalt SS Supercharged this November at the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas. It will also run on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2005 in Super Street magazine's Time Attack at Buttonwillow Raceway Park.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=19340

Last edited by dascrow; 10-21-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:39 PM

I hope this gets on Speed On Demand because I get that but no Speed Channel.

Good job GM!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 PM

Cobalt SS-SC sweetness and future GM news

wow...I'm impressed but not surprised. The delta architecture is sooo solid. Oh yeah, that car demolishes the new Civic SI like no tomarrow. Yeah I know its not N/A but who cares, the car has HP, Torque, and is "the" new era muscle car...I just can't wait for more power increases. I heard the turbo-ecotec thats supposed to go in the solstice gxp also might be an option in the Cobalt SS down the line. Just one question...when does the cobalt get AWD???? (GM REALLY NEEDS AN STI COMPETITOR AND SLAYER! and no the GTO doesnt count...im talking 4 cylinder awd and runs with 02' M3, 02 Trans Am/Camaro Z28, Acura RSX-Type S, etc.) Not to get off topic the Cobalt SS is a sweet vehicle...American Cars 4ever!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributing User

Something I posted in another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13
You can not use that dumb ass show as an example of Cobalt superiority(like it has any) First off the Cobalt that was completely gutted, had a roll cage, and racing slicks only beat a STOCK Skyline and only by what 8 seconds or something. The 800hp, not 600hp Skyline did not run on the road course because of something breaking, now you can still say a win is a win or whatever but come on, anyone with common sense knows that, that Skyline when working, would put a hurtin on that Cobalt in every which way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy
wow...I'm impressed but not surprised. The delta architecture is sooo solid. Oh yeah, that car demolishes the new Civic SI like no tomarrow. Yeah I know its not N/A but who cares, the car has HP, Torque, and is "the" new era muscle car...I just can't wait for more power increases. I heard the turbo-ecotec thats supposed to go in the solstice gxp also might be an option in the Cobalt SS down the line. Just one question...when does the cobalt get AWD???? (GM REALLY NEEDS AN STI COMPETITOR AND SLAYER! and no the GTO doesnt count...im talking 4 cylinder awd and runs with 02' M3, 02 Trans Am/Camaro Z28, Acura RSX-Type S, etc.) Not to get off topic the Cobalt SS is a sweet vehicle...American Cars 4ever!
Wow... I am completely bewildered by your post. First chances of a turboed or AWD Cobalt are SLIM to NONE. Second how can you compare a M3, to an LS1, to an Acura RSX type-S, seriously WTF mate? Thirdly 204 hp RSX type-S, 197hp Honda Civic Si those two cars will be very, very close to each other in performence and it does not take much for and an RSX to put a hurtin on the Cobalt SS, same will probably go for the Si. I can't wait until the RSX type-R comes out and starts running with the SRT-4, naturally aspirated .

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Another Link and More Stats

Hey, just saw this on Speed TV a few minutes ago. I'm home on sick leave right now, so I spend a lot of time flipping between Speed TV and the History Channel.

Check out this link http://www.streettunerchallenge.tv/main.html to see some more info on the challenge cars and specifically the SS. There were a lot of changes to the body, etc to get it race ready, but not a lot to the engine (adjust timing, smaller pulley and larger inectors) They say it's the stage 2 mods. I thought they did something with the Cams too, but I think that was adjust the timing chain. Most note worthy thing is GM quotes 236HP whereas the design team, via the site (above) quotes 265HP. Still well short of 300, but when I saw 238 I almost cried.

Also, in the interview the senior designer for the Cobalt team mentioned that the M62 Supercharger was capable of "a lot" more power than the production car uses. How much it's capable of, I don't know. Did they max it out with the smaller pulley? Finally, none of the engine mods were bolt-on. Part of the rules was no external changes. Stock CAI, stock aftercooler, stock exhaust, stock headers, etc.. Just the kit and a hell of a lot of body/structural changes.

Did anyone watching catch that the Jetta was pushing a 150 shot of nitrous? Didn't think a little 2.5 would take that without sending a piston into orbit.

BTW: Everytime I read a new review or something like this I want to jump in my SC/SS and chew up some asphalt! I've liked my last two cars a lot. I think I'm in love this time!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode