Cobalts SS banner

Traction Control

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  WernerGMHTP 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I'm about to place an order for a 2007 Cobalt SS Sedan (2.4L) with an automatic trans. I'm concerned, however, with the fact that while all the auto cars come with traction control from the factory, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to turn it off. From what the salesman said, Cobalts used to have an on-off switch either last year or the year before, but Chevy did away with it. SO... how do you turn the trac system off??? Please tell me there's a way!

Oh, also, any help deciphering what exactly the symbols in the shft pattern mean would be a big help (I think I saw an "I" and something else below "D".) Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
hmmm... good question. have you talked with any GM reps or gone to the GM website? I dont know what it is right off... The trac. control should be like the Monte Carlo and have a button just forward of the shifter. Sorry to be of no help, but try to get in touch with a GM Performance Parts rep.

#5 ·
If it's anything like my dads ION sedan or our work Chevy Uplanders there is just a little button with a T and like 2 wavy lines on each side, pushing it turns it on and off.

Don't know if that is how the Cobalt's is, but that is all I can suggest.

#6 ·
There is no button. You have to pull the e-brake up a little, or put the shifter in L, which will disable T/C until you shift it out of low gear manually.

#7 ·
Well I don't have the car yet so I can't test any of this, but I know for sure from when I test drove one that there is definately no button to turn the trac on or off...

Just putting the car in "L" would be fine for burnouts/drag starts, but this would be of no help for a dyno situation obviously. So I guess the only real solution is to just leave the e-brake on then huh? (I am assuming the E-brake on these cars works the rear wheels and not the fronts? Sorry for the clueless questions, I'm used to driving Trans Ams and Corvettes lately and am just getting into the FWD scene!)

Thanks everyone for your advice, if anyone has further clarification on how the auto trans on the 2007 model operates it'd be very helpful.

#9 ·
Completely a NYC metro traffic issue. If I want to drive a stick, exactly, I will go drive my Vette or Trans Am. Unfortunate because I understand the manual in the Cobalt is excellent and will hold a few hundred hp more than stock, but alas that's my situation: I don't feel like limping around the courthouse after pumping the clutch six thousand times on the way to 9 AM calendar call.

Thanks for the help everyone, car is on order and will be here in 6 weeks or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.