Cobalts SS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

another SRT-4 thread

38K views 106 replies 26 participants last post by  tofu 
#1 ·
I know this thread will be completely useless without proof, but out of sheer surprise and excitement I had to post it. One of my close friends purchased a used 04 SRT-4 w/ 19,000 miles, red, no stage upgrades or anything, bone stock down to the paper filter. Anyway, to make things short we both had to find out how the two would fair when put side-by-side on a "controlled" straight-away. I have to say it's pretty funny when you're knowledge of the two vehicles comes to mind and you expect to be left in the dust. Well, to my utter suprise, I won. By a lot...I'd say about four car lengths. Now, before you throw in the BS flag and start flaming me, let me remind you my friend had only had the SRT-4 for a few hours; so other than knowing how to drive a 98 Cobra, he had little experience behind the wheel of a turbo/4cyl. But regardless of driver skill I was quite taken that it seemed the SRT-4 lacked the smooth powerband the SS has (yeah I know, turbo lag) . From a stop, the SS pulled really hard on the SRT-4, then he would spool up and catch up a little, but once he shifted I would pull hard again. We tried from a 20 roll as well, figuring things would be different since he would be in boost already...but it was a similar situation. I'd pull hard and consistantly, and he would play catch up. So you can imagine, I'm pretty happy haha. It'll probably be short-lived once he slaps an intake on there, or rather gets more driving time lol.

But anyway, no video of this time, but you can be sure there will be, especially once he gets more seat time in his new toy.

See less See more
#2 ·
20 roll is bad for an SRT. Try a 40 or 60 roll (2nd/3rd gears). See how they do on a higher speed run. If your friend was losing ground when he shifted, then he sucks at shifting. The trans is.... notchy. Takes some force to get it into gears quick.

What speed did you race up to?

#3 ·
The SRT-4 stock turbo doesn't not suffer from "turbo lag". It hits QUICK.
The SRT-4 driver either wasn't a) racing or b) really didn't know how to drive the car or c) the USED SRT-4 he bought had a massive boost leak.
Did you find out how much boost he was running during the "test run" :D?
Methinks he needs to on over to srtforums and commence to reading.
So yeah, I'm gonna call BS on the whole thing, but through no fault of yours. THere HAD to something wrong with the SRT-4 or the driver. I'm leaning towards the driver since it seems he's new to turbocharged 4-cylinders coming from a Cobra.
Why the hell did he get rid of the Cobra?!?!?

#4 ·
Yeah, see we had no idea what a sufficient mph would be for him to run in, he said @ 20 mph in first he was already in boost (thought he didn't say what specific psi he was in at that speed). Goes to show how much we both know of turbo 4cyl's LOL. :p

But anywho, he said he was seeing around 10-13psi that night (he said this before we went on our little drive). But I do know he was racing, or at least trying...I'll agree with you 100% that it's him not used to driving it yet.

His Cobra has been out of commission for over six months now. He spun a rod bearing and couldn't afford to fix it at the time, it got worse and worse the more he drove it until the motor finally locked up on him. Funny thing is, he went looking to get an LS1 T/A (98, 6-speed, NBM), and got an SRT-4 instead lol. I must be rubbing off on my friends LOL.

Edit: Oh, and we only went up to about 90mph, didn't want to go too crazy.

#10 ·
iball said:
Oh my GOD! He killed a Cobra engine! Blasphemy!
Don't let the stang boards find out. :D

LOL, yeah...he's nuts. 200 shot on a stock bottom end, launching on MT's w/ a stock rearend and 3.73s for 3 months no problems....misses a gear one night and bounces of the rev limiter...and boom, spun rod bearing. WTH.

#11 ·
DCX said:
You probably inspired your friend to go out and practice a whole lot :p
Once he does, though, look out. If he's a decent driver.

Nice race.

Yeah, it'll be pretty different when he gets the hang of things....he drove the hell out of the Cobra..

#12 ·
tofu said:
LOL, yeah...he's nuts. 200 shot on a stock bottom end, launching on MT's w/ a stock rearend and 3.73s for 3 months no problems....misses a gear one night and bounces of the rev limiter...and boom, spun rod bearing. WTH.
Oh God, if the Mighty Mustang crowd ever found out about this, they would have a frickin' heart attack.
Then go on a rampage. And now he has an SRT-4? I give that engine 3 months to live.

#13 ·
Race your friend in about 1 months time and then post the results. It should still be a close race. I'm sure the SRT4 people will beg to differ since there are soo many stock SRT4's running 13.9's!? I have yet to see a stock SRT4 running anything better then a 14.4! In fact this weekend at the track a guy had a stock one and he was hitting 14.5's consistently, I was hitting 14.7's consistently. I never had the chance to race him, but he raced a red Ion Redline and made the Saturn his bitch! The Saturn ran a terrible 15.8, the best he managed was a 15.2. Shows the differance in drivers, basically the same cars, yet I had a half a second on him all day! I'm sure if I hopped into his Saturn and launched the RL like I launch my SS, I probably would have pulled around the same times!?

#15 ·
SS4ME said:
Race your friend in about 1 months time and then post the results. It should still be a close race. I'm sure the SRT4 people will beg to differ since there are soo many stock SRT4's running 13.9's!? I have yet to see a stock SRT4 running anything better then a 14.4! In fact this weekend at the track a guy had a stock one and he was hitting 14.5's consistently, I was hitting 14.7's consistently. I never had the chance to race him, but he raced a red Ion Redline and made the Saturn his bitch! The Saturn ran a terrible 15.8, the best he managed was a 15.2. Shows the differance in drivers, basically the same cars, yet I had a half a second on him all day! I'm sure if I hopped into his Saturn and launched the RL like I launch my SS, I probably would have pulled around the same times!?
We recentl had a SRT meet at my local track and most of them were stock. Most of the guys were running 14.1 to 14.3. The fastest stock one there ran a 14.0@100 with a 2.2 60ft.

#16 ·
tofu said:
I know this thread will be completely useless without proof, but out of sheer surprise and excitement I had to post it. One of my close friends purchased a used 04 SRT-4 w/ 19,000 miles, red, no stage upgrades or anything, bone stock down to the paper filter. Anyway, to make things short we both had to find out how the two would fair when put side-by-side on a "controlled" straight-away. I have to say it's pretty funny when you're knowledge of the two vehicles comes to mind and you expect to be left in the dust. Well, to my utter suprise, I won. By a lot...I'd say about four car lengths. Now, before you throw in the BS flag and start flaming me, let me remind you my friend had only had the SRT-4 for a few hours; so other than knowing how to drive a 98 Cobra, he had little experience behind the wheel of a turbo/4cyl. But regardless of driver skill I was quite taken that it seemed the SRT-4 lacked the smooth powerband the SS has (yeah I know, turbo lag) . From a stop, the SS pulled really hard on the SRT-4, then he would spool up and catch up a little, but once he shifted I would pull hard again. We tried from a 20 roll as well, figuring things would be different since he would be in boost already...but it was a similar situation. I'd pull hard and consistantly, and he would play catch up. So you can imagine, I'm pretty happy haha. It'll probably be short-lived once he slaps an intake on there, or rather gets more driving time lol.

But anyway, no video of this time, but you can be sure there will be, especially once he gets more seat time in his new toy.
nice kill.

fyi though, an intake won't do anything for the srt4 except make noise.

#17 ·
First Imma call BS and then Imma have to find the vid we made at the Ennis 1/4 mile track here in Dallas where a stock SRT-4 and a stock Cobalt SS ran each other.

Both cars had less than 10 grand in miles and the SRT-4 won by almost a full second. It was sad, The Cobalt went all night and rarely did he even get into the decent 14s.

#18 ·
BLUBYYOU said:
nice kill.

fyi though, an intake won't do anything for the srt4 except make noise.
Oh yes they only make noise. How stupid do you want people to think you are. I have a Full 3" JMB Ultimate CAI on my car. Dyno'd before and after and it gained 13hp to the ground max. That is why this car is the best car to mod. For under 4500 there is a guy in Houston who modded his car to 505whp. There is no way in hell you are doing that with a Cobalt. Hell I read the paperwork Chevy put out for horsepower increase on that car.

#24 ·
uncivilracer said:
Oh yes they only make noise. How stupid do you want people to think you are. I have a Full 3" JMB Ultimate CAI on my car. Dyno'd before and after and it gained 13hp to the ground max. That is why this car is the best car to mod. For under 4500 there is a guy in Houston who modded his car to 505whp. There is no way in hell you are doing that with a Cobalt. Hell I read the paperwork Chevy put out for horsepower increase on that car.
Nice to see how observant you are genious. Look at his avatar, and sig. He doesn't own a Cobalt, he's one of the SRT guys that try and give a good name to the car, unlike you who is seemingly giving it the typical "I'm king of the world in my SRT" attidute. Drivers can really kill a car's image faster than the car could ever do on it's own. Amazing.

#26 ·
uncivilracer said:
I have 6 total posts. Want a cookie. This is considered war stories. People are gonna call BS on things. Get over it!
Why does it matter how many posts you have, it's written there from the start. It's not like you have to unlock stages of the forum to see different things with more posts. This isn't war stories, we leave that shit to SRT forums. Things try to be a little better over here. There's no "crew" that's gonna just jump on every post, for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.