Cobalt SS/SC vs RX-8? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Cobalt SS/SC vs RX-8?

Has anyone met up with and RX-8 and actually raced one? Im just wondering what the out come would be if i decided to race my friend. OK not really my friend, but this guy that thinks he's the standard driver king..

The race would be stock vs. stock. I dont think he has any upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 AM

FYI, RX8s aren't built for drag racing. Rotary...torque?......

Race him and find out.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

soo nothing to go with.. how much hp does the RX8 have? just got off of work and imto tired to look it up, sorry.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange juice
FYI, RX8s aren't built for drag racing. Rotary...torque?......

Race him and find out.

Because the cobalt is?? yeesh
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I think what Orange Juice was meening when he said that, is that the RX-8 is a 2-rotor rotary engine, and wasnt made to for the purpose "drag racing" although i was speeking of just a basic street race.

What i did find out was that the Automatic version RX-8 has 212HP & 232 HP Manual 6spd.

The guys RX-8 that im speeking of is manual too.

Last edited by Jag88; 08-09-2006 at 09:58 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah my buddies gal has an '06 with a AT. That thing has a 9,000 rpm redline, so imagine its first two gears. Ive never lined up but i followed him. Of course off the get go he pulled. For the most part i believe its a drivers race...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag88
I think what Orange Juice was meening when he said that, is that the RX-8 is a 2-rotor rotary engine, and wasnt made to for the purpose "drag racing" although i was speeking of just a basic street race.
DING DING DING. Someone clearly thought it thru

Quote:
What i did find out was that the Automatic version RX-8 has 212HP & 232 HP Manual 6spd.

The guys RX-8 that im speeking of is manual too.
i think you'll take him. I've ran a few RX8s when I was bone stock and never had to break a sweat. On the turns though, completely different story

Then again i've never raced a Cobalt and I only have the 1/4 times and few videos to go off of. I think if you run low 14s, you will not have a problem. If you run mid 14s, it will be a close drivers race. Have fun, be safe!

Last edited by orange juice; 08-09-2006 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the confidence OJ, and yeah i did understand you about them not being built for drag racing. lol.

*yawn* im tired guys.. got out of work at 7 this morning been up since, and i have work again tonight at 10pm. get out at 6 probably wont leave till 7 like usual then go home take a shower and hit up the dealership . So ill talk to you all tomorrow with news of my cobalt hopefully.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM

ya drivers race. If you research some numbers, they post the same straight line performance numbers, except on the skid pad we hold more G's, and were faster through the slalom by 1mph or so. Probably the closest car to car comparison you can find...except in the wallet!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
Quote:
Well thanks for the confidence OJ, and yeah i did understand you about them not being built for drag racing. lol.

*yawn* im tired guys.. got out of work at 7 this morning been up since, and i have work again tonight at 10pm. get out at 6 probably wont leave till 7 like usual then go home take a shower and hit up the dealership . So ill talk to you all tomorrow with news of my cobalt hopefully.
We'll be waiting patiently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode