I need help - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I need help

I need a lot of help, i went to the track last night with my gm stage 2 ss/sc and ran a best of 14.62 @ 100.76. If I was stock that wouldn't be bad, but I'm not, so its actually real bad. 246 hp should be low 14's or high 13's right??? I had so much trouble launching my car, I ended up doing best just walking it off of the line and then accelerating. When I tried dropping the clutch I got rediculous wheel hop and ran in the mid 15's. I couldn't figure it out and my question is AT THE TRACK, how do you guys launch your cars? And I know my time sucks, but isn't 100.76 a good trap speed? please help guys, this hurt my pride a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributing User

First off what was your 60 ft time? I bet it was awefull. Try
leaving at around 2000 RPM's and feather the clutch, don't dump it. This is probably the best techneque for a front drive launch on street tires. Second, did you drop the air PSI in for front tires? If not next time you go try dropping the pressure to 25 PSI up front and try putting the rear tires at around 50 psi. If you only have s2 as mods I'd put a better flowing exhaust and maybe some solid motor mounts with drag radials if you really want to get down the 1/4 in a hurry.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 07:41 PM

2nd Mr beast

Dumping the clutch is never the way to go - on the street either for that matter. Wanna make a real good time? Be prepared to replace your clutch a lot. I'd leave at an even higher rpm, nice and up there in the powerband... 5K maybe? Slowly let the clutch out just on the edge of spinning the tires keeping the rpm the SAME until the clutch is fully out - then get into the throttle as much as you can, in the SS you can probably just nail it.

The above would be too extreme on a street car, so the 2K seems like a decent compromise, the point is, once that clutch is all the way out, do NOT be below 2000 rpm (or higher, if you like buying clutches)

Oh, and go around the water box, and don't do a burnout - a very quick spin of the tires to clean them will be plenty. Drag radials (or even decent tires) on 15" wheels would help too - low profiles make for bad drag tires.

I think that's a good starting point... though I don't have an SS and don't even own a front-driver anymore - sound reasonable guys?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm assuming that you had alot of wheel hop espically if you dumped the clutch. I went to the track last weekend and had a lot of wheel hop and ran a 14.76, with only having a cai. You could order a set of traction bars which will eliminate your wheel hop. I just ordered mine but that have not arrived yet. You can get a set for 175+ shipping.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-newbie View Post
I'm assuming that you had alot of wheel hop espically if you dumped the clutch. I went to the track last weekend and had a lot of wheel hop and ran a 14.76, with only having a cai. You could order a set of traction bars which will eliminate your wheel hop. I just ordered mine but that have not arrived yet. You can get a set for 175+ shipping.
I'd also recomend the Ingall's Torque Damper. This will also eliminate you wheel hop. I think you can get it from Turbo Tech for about $150.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 AM

this car is extremely delicate when launching.... i had to lower the tire pressure to about 20psi even though i thought that was too low. but everyone is right, do not dump the clutch it will just spin. my worst was a 14.86 @ 95mph with full air (dont have slip with me for the trap speed but et time is accurate) then a 14.41 @98.7mph with the 20psi & walking off the line. even fethering it couldnt get it to grap once i got to the top of first, it would still let them loose.
i do 2nd the better flow exh.

my fix: waiting on some 17" wheels with 225/45r17 nitto nt-01 tires!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

If I had a scanner I would scan this. but here is my best time slip.

r/t ... .546 (lol, I wasn't paying attention)
60' ... 2.47
330' ... 6.548
1/8 ... 9.725
MPH ... 77.59
1/4 ... 14.676
MPH ... 100.76

remember that the only reason I am so upset is I have a GM stage 2 kit. If this was stock, I wouldn't have been as dissapointed.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributing User

That run would have been a high 13 or 14 flat with a 2.0 60 foot time. I got a 1.95 on street tires once it was pure luck but It was cool to run a low 13 on street tires. now I went to slicks on my srt and run in the 12's, a 1.8 60 is alot more fun trust me
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf8604 View Post
If I had a scanner I would scan this. but here is my best time slip.

r/t ... .546 (lol, I wasn't paying attention)
60' ... 2.47
330' ... 6.548
1/8 ... 9.725
MPH ... 77.59
1/4 ... 14.676
MPH ... 100.76

remember that the only reason I am so upset is I have a GM stage 2 kit. If this was stock, I wouldn't have been as dissapointed.
I feel your pain. I would hate sinking that kind of work and money in my car and running those kinds of times.

the good news is, your trap speed is okay. Like others have said, your biggest improvement is going to be in your 60' time.

get the pressure down in the tires and MAKE YOURSELF restrain some out of the hole. Don't jump all over the car. Work yourself into the accelerator. Even on street tires, you can get down to a 2.1 time on your 60 foot times. If you do, then you are in the low 14's, with maybe a shot at a high 13.

Practice before you go to the track. Learn to feather your way into the gas.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:05 PM
iso
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE_SS_STAGE2 View Post
my fix: waiting on some 17" wheels with 225/45r17 nitto nt-01 tires!!!
i believe those tires are for autocross racing not drag racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode