Ran a yellow ss/sc cobalt tonight in AZ - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Ran a yellow ss/sc cobalt tonight in AZ

sounded like it had exhaust as well! We ran 3 times me in my srt8 300c and his ss!

race one light to light 4 cars srt8!
60 mph roll he got jump on me by 120 i was up 7 cars!
20 mph roll not close 6 cars me !

thanks for the race!

Also i read alot of guys saying stock ss/sc will beat a 5.7 i am curious since i had a 5.7 and ran 13.80' consitently and the srt8 i am running 12.90's consistenly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 PM

What can I say. You let your car do the talking.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8AZ View Post
sounded like it had exhaust as well! We ran 3 times me in my srt8 300c and his ss!

race one light to light 4 cars srt8!
60 mph roll he got jump on me by 120 i was up 7 cars!
20 mph roll not close 6 cars me !

thanks for the race!

Also i read alot of guys saying stock ss/sc will beat a 5.7 i am curious since i had a 5.7 and ran 13.80' consitently and the srt8 i am running 12.90's consistenly!
A stock SS will not beat a srt8. I know, I sprinted one. I got the jump and then he was only inching up and past me. The power to weight for the srt8 really slows it down, but the power is just enough to compensate for the cars obeisity.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
A stock SS will not beat a srt8. I know, I sprinted one. I got the jump and then he was only inching up and past me. The power to weight for the srt8 really slows it down, but the power is just enough to compensate for the cars obeisity.
Dude, the thing runs a low 13 stock

That must be one awesome CAI you have!

SRT8 - 9.9 lb/hp, 0-60 4.7 seconds (yeah dude, that's an f'n horrible power-weight ratio there)

SS s/c - 14.4 lb/hp, 0-60 6.1 seconds (cobalt needs 300hp to equal the SRT8's power-weight)

Annnnd, just for fun (to tie this to the other thread):

05+GT - 11.7 lb/hp, 0-60 5.1 seconds

Where do I get a CAI that can produce such awesome gains? Or alternately, how do I sponsor your career in top fuel, since you're clearly the best-driver-ever?

By "got the jump" do you mean "took off at WOT, and then the SRT8 decided to give it a go too"?

Last edited by alkaline3; 11-02-2006 at 06:28 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

he had to of been going WOT because i had one do a ricer fly by at 60mph i was doing 40mph and i passed him like he was standing still! But wih mods i thik the cobalts are great way to have a very quick car. I am 34 so i like the luxury of the 300 and it may not be the fastest on the road it has enough to have fun but also be very comftorable for 4 people! and all this for $43,000.00
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8AZ View Post
But with mods i think the cobalts are great way to have a very quick car. I am 34 so i like the luxury of the 300 and it may not be the fastest on the road it has enough to have fun but also be very comftorable for 4 people! and all this for $43,000.00
Totally agreed - if I was a few years younger, or had some responsibilities that wouldn't allow the higher price of my GT I probably would have an SS right now. Didn't have the money for an SRT8 so here I am in the middle, and I'm cool with that.

Just bugs me to read stuff that is either totally made up, a pretty decent distortion of reality, or a weird one-off passed of as the way it is (see tercel example in the other thread). It'll be interesting to see if the power/weight ratio argument continues, and if so what direction it takes - being that the SRT8 had "just enough power" to have a severe lbs/hp advantage.

Last edited by alkaline3; 11-02-2006 at 03:02 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

i agree. for the srt8 to have just enough power is a way for a young man to try and tell himself he has a chance. There are so many factors! I like the cross conversation between owners! I also like the ss cobalts they are unique! But the punk kids is what i hate and there attitudes, especially when i get the kid in the honda that says those hemi's are sleds i can take ya! Dumb ass didn't realize i had a 6.1 and he got whipped with his girlfriend in the car!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaline3 View Post
Dude, the thing runs a low 13 stock

That must be one awesome CAI you have!

SRT8 - 9.9 lb/hp, 0-60 4.7 seconds (yeah dude, that's an f'n horrible power-weight ratio there)

SS s/c - 14.4 lb/hp, 0-60 6.1 seconds (cobalt needs 300hp to equal the SRT8's power-weight)

Annnnd, just for fun (to tie this to the other thread):

05+GT - 11.7 lb/hp, 0-60 5.1 seconds

Where do I get a CAI that can produce such awesome gains? Or alternately, how do I sponsor your career in top fuel, since you're clearly the best-driver-ever?

By "got the jump" do you mean "took off at WOT, and then the SRT8 decided to give it a go too"?
Dude, are you blind! Check my location. It is under my name. Altitude affects things. My CAI is nothing special. Just an Injen. I've never said anything about my CAI being the shit. Open your eyes. 4700' above sea level isn't the same as 47' above sea level. You get less air the higher you go, which means that without forced induction you will suffer a little more. And as for "got the jump" you are sort of correct. We both made a left turn side by side and just as we straightened out his front bumper was at my b-pillar. We both went WOT at the same time as we both straightened out an he was inching on me. We got to about 50 and he was dead even with my car. Does that make it more clear?

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now

Last edited by domin8_gt; 11-03-2006 at 12:27 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

BS Flag waving! There is no way a stock ss/sc cobalt will even run close with an srt8! maybe a 5.7 but i have run several cobalts and none have even been close to me at 50mph! Just simple impossible for a stock cobalt to run like that!

BSBSBSBS RING RING your alarm clock just woke you up and oh what is that i see the tailights of the srt8 2 miles ahead of me!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM

yea well my interior for the win. sorry that doesnt work against a SRT8 i'll just get back to you later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode