Ran an SS last night... (ephrata PA) - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Ran an SS last night... (ephrata PA)

Was heading down a 4 lane road that goes through town, a blue SS pulls out of a shopping center ahead of me and gets on it as I got closer (about 3 car lg behind), so I figure I'll give him a run. I pulled slightly through most of 2nd seemed to even out at the top. I shifted to 3rd to continue my momentum (figured I'd REALLY start to pull now...) but he hit the breaks as soon as I shifted, I just let off and cruise past him (he had caught up to traffic). He jumps in behind me and we pass traffic, but the road goes to 2 lanes at this point. We're stuck behind some traffic so I try to slow down to give us room for another go, but traffic slows down with us (looked like someone was trying to make a turn but wasn't sure where to go?).

I flash the turn signal quickly to see if he'll follow me down another road, he does... I'm thinking "Ok now we can finally have a clean run", I reach a stop sign and proceed slowly waiting for his turn to go... but he just sits there, flashing his headlights. I continue slowly, watching him... then his 4 ways come on and traffic behind him begins to go out around. Figuring he's out of gas, or needs help of some kind I turn around and head back.

"Something wrong witht the car?" I ask. "Yeah... I'm hainvg a sensor problem..." I offer to help, but he says he lives right around the corner, and had two friends with him so they get out to push it... I was kinda bumed, I really wanted to run him.

I'm thinking he had some work done becuase, I have Stage-1 and was alone... he kept up really well in 2nd, and had 2 passengers, plus this sensor trouble? Then again, I had JUST put my battery back in (wife left the interior lights on) and was running around to see what kind of boost I was getting (computer need to re-learn junk). What do you guys think, any mods known to cause sensor issues that basically shut the car down like that? My car just stuck inlimp mode?

If you're on here blue SS guy, I'd like to run you again once you get things sorted out. That was a good run, maybe next time we'll try the highway so we can run side by side? I don't like to do the single file racing thing much.

Last edited by SRT-4_&_NeonACR; 11-26-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing User

I've seen this happen before, but not on my car. Guy could have had a CAI that threw a CEL and put his car into limp mode.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributing User

Us SRT-4 owners will come up with some creative sh*t to explain losing a race.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
hahhahaa.......thats funny shit rite there.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:32 PM

This has happened to me before. I was trying to race an eclipse and was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. all of a sudden the car jerked baddly and the tach drops down to zero even though the engine was still running. i pulled into a burgerking parking lot and as soon as i stopped the engine died totally. I had to wait about 5 minutes before i could start it up again. I hope someone on here knows what the problem is cause i would really like to get it fixed.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
LOL no excuses, this is how it happend. if you're refering to the battery thing... I'm not sure how long it takes, but I know when you unhook the battery the car doesn't run quite right for a while.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...ight=reset+ecu

Here's the Autozone battery charge ticket... didn't have time to stick it in until sat night (Christmas shopping & finishing my basement, need pics of that too?)

http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/SP_A0100.jpg

Or were you saying he got creative with the whole "my car doesn't work" thing to avoid having to race me again?

Last edited by SRT-4_&_NeonACR; 11-26-2006 at 08:14 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztawn View Post
This has happened to me before. I was trying to race an eclipse and was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. all of a sudden the car jerked baddly and the tach drops down to zero even though the engine was still running. i pulled into a burgerking parking lot and as soon as i stopped the engine died totally. I had to wait about 5 minutes before i could start it up again. I hope someone on here knows what the problem is cause i would really like to get it fixed.
Stock? If so that's f'd up... GM needs to get on that.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
I've seen this happen before, but not on my car. Guy could have had a CAI that threw a CEL and put his car into limp mode.
Ive never had a cel come on in my car as of yet. (knock on wood) But, I do have a cold air intake and also have to let the car warm up a little bit or it will face plant when I take off and shift into 2nd.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
Ive never had a cel come on in my car as of yet. (knock on wood) But, I do have a cold air intake and also have to let the car warm up a little bit or it will face plant when I take off and shift into 2nd.
the no cel with a CAI is good luck...i havent gotten one on my car eather.

my guess as to why your car "face plants" if you dont let it worm up are two reasons.

1)our PCV system doesnt bleed boost and deal with possible crankcase pressure worth a dam if our coolant is below 100F....it responds far to slow but with heat it speeds up.

2) when the car reads a AIT2 of under 55deg it runs much richer becase it thinks that your post SC boosted air is that cold and must dump fuel accordingly(sp?)....once the car, sc and AIT's have worm'ed up your AIT2 will be over the majic 55deg mark and the car will lean it self out just a tad.

as for the gauge issue's it is due to a fault and glitch in our stock ECM programs.

the stage flash's and any other aftermarket tune will update the car's ECM operating system that fix's that issue AND it also take osme of the horrible lag out of our gauge's

the tach in a stock car can be as far off as 400RPM...normaly in the low 100's .....the new OS does a much better job....but its still off by as much as 150-200rev's
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 AM

My friend has a ss/sc and he told me his went into limp mode once when he bounced off the rev limiter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode