SS 2.4 vs. Cavy 2.4 - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

SS 2.4 vs. Cavy 2.4

I know its not much of an accomplishment, but I recently beat my friend's 2.4 Cavalier. He has a short ram intake, Megan Racing header, no cat, and a Megan Racing catback exhaust, so I felt it was pretty fair. We raced from a roll, in a typical 5th drop to 3rd fashion, side by side in a school zone of all places. To be quaint......I ate his car up and spit it out. Chevy must have really improved upon their 2.4 engine over the years. I expected to win, but not by as much as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Contributing User

What year was the cavy? That makes a difference too. In the later half of the 90's that engine was making just a little more power the base 2.2 Ecotec. It was rated at 150hp/160tq in 1996. They didn't take very well to performance mods either. RKSport offered a turbo but was told (as per RKSport) by GM to pull it because it was cracking the cast iron blocks. Plus, your engine isn't the same as his. Yours is stroked off the 2.2 Ecotec. His engine was a completely different design. Could be wrong though.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 PM

i like the way the 95-? cavaliers looked, with the teardrop headlights, almost looks like a minature monte carlo. and with a little bit of body kit added, they look pretty trick

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
i like the way the 95-? cavaliers looked, with the teardrop headlights, almost looks like a minature monte carlo. and with a little bit of body kit added, they look pretty trick
Yeah, his is a 95 I believe. I know the engines not the same, im just saying from a standpoint, both are chevys, both are 4-cyl, and both a 2.4's, so its not too drastically un-fair or in-different. But yeah, he's got the Buddy Club 2 kit, molded sideskirts and rear bumper, de-badged, projectors, smoked tailights, 18" black/polished wheels (cant remember what kind), Megan Racing coilovers, Hunsaker racing seats w/ Weapon-R harnesses, full Kicker sound system, Megan Racing header/cat-back, AEM short ram intake, and custom House of Kolors purple paint.......pretty trick.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Contributing User

I don't know what all those mods do for him, but I do know that you had the advantage by 20hp stock for stock, and you have less wheel mass due to your 17's versus his 18's.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
I don't know what all those mods do for him, but I do know that you had the advantage by 20hp stock for stock, and you have less wheel mass due to your 17's versus his 18's.
most do nothing beneficial, but it sure beats having a nearly totalled body with parts missing everywhere and six different colors like it was before. And 20hp isn't really a big deal.........I beat an RSX type S back when I only had an intake.......and im guessing I had around 180hp then to the crank. When its only a 20hp diff, it really comes down to the driver moreso in my opinion. And 17" vs 18" wheels........haha c'mon, give me a break. My friend Kris had 15"s stock on his Focus and put 18"s on it, and he said there wasn't really a noticeable difference in his 1/8 mile time at all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Wheel size won't make a difference but tire size will. The larger diameter the tire the slower you will accelerate but the higher top speed you will have. Also changing tire sizes would screw up your speedometer, it basically is the same as changing final gear which as far as I know can't be changed in the cobalt, tho if I'm wrong and it can be I'm curious to see how.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Contributing User

I was referring to the more mass when I was referring to the wheels.

07 Tahoe LT

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 PM

just because they're bigger doesn't mean they weight more
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon2.4 View Post
just because they're bigger doesn't mean they weight more
exactly. Motegi used to offer the Trak Lite 2's in 19's, and i'd be willing to bet that they are lighter than our stock 17's b/c they had hollow spokes and weren't plated with any fancy finish. They just came in flat black or silver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode