When to accept a challenge and when to know my boundaries... - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

When to accept a challenge and when to know my boundaries...

So I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt LT with the 2.2L and manual tranny (and I know some people are going to say, "you should have gotten the SS." I know that it would be the faster and everything so don't bother). Right now it's bone stock, hoping to get air intake and exhaust sometime in the near future. I've been impressed with the power and speed of it but I've driven faster cars (or at least they seemed to be faster).

So I was wondering what cars I should accept races from and what ones I should recognize as faster than me. What is your advise? Especially cars like Neons, Eclipses (esp the 00-04s), Cavaliers, Mustangs, Camaros/Firebirds, Tcs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributing User

Yes the intake and the exhaust would help. try to stay away from cars that are made for speed. out of ur list. Neons this is easy if there stock. At the start they will pull from you but just alittle, then next thing you know your flying passed them. you just have to know what your looking at. all i can say is stay away from camaros, firebirds and eclipese. those are cars that are pretty easy to gain hp from little stuff. my SS got smoked by a firebird. but it would have help if i put it in gear first i guess. lol hope this helps
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well the manual I figure will give me an advantage even a lot of the people with riced out Hondas and shit drive auto. What do you think it would take to be a contender vs the eclipses and firebirds and stuff?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
Well, you really wouldn't stand much of a chance against a Camaro/Firebird, especially if they're V8's. Simply put, the 2.2 in your Cobalt isn't tuned for any sort of high-performance situation. If you want to compete against any high-displacement cars, you're either going to have to race bad drivers or get into really heavy mods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well, I'm in luck because I live in a city where bad drivers are easier to find than water in a hurricane.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Contributing User

in order to keep up with them you are going to have to put some big mods in that 2.2. supercharger, or turbo kit, intake, ecu upgrades, maybe some nos. if you want to keep up with them your going to have to pay. if you have an SS s/c you will beable to beat an Eclipses if its got a turbo. i know becasue my SS s/c beat one. iam not sure what kinda mods the eclipses had but it wasnt very good at shifting. it doesnt matter what you do at some point your going to win but again at some point your going to lose. unless you want to put alot of money in your car, go for the smaller cars, other cobalts non s/c or t/c neons, cavs, geo, and hondas.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

I like how a Geo was suggested as a good car to compete against. Does anybody actually tune those out? I'd laugh so hard if I saw a riced out Geo kick my ass.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributing User

well its a slow car and if you lose that race you should just stop there. I dont think a Geo will win, but hey you never know. Other then that it should be a sure win.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Well just do a little research I suppose. There's no easy answer.

Just try not to get bent out of shape or hurt if you lose some. That's hard to do sometimes when you are proud of the ride you have. Once you (or anyone) starts modding... who knows... unless you know the person and know what they have.

I took on a Mazdaspeed6 a few days ago. Lucky for me it turned out in my favor. But I had no idea when I started.

I would never rag on ya for just having an LT. Before my 08 SS I had an RSX Type-S. It was pretty fun.

Before that I had a four door 95 Grand Am 4 cyl. It was pretty fun though. I made a bit of a sleeper out of it. lol Not that it was real fast. But it was fun to watch the look on some peoples faces.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Would an LT with a Supercharger beat out an SS because it has the bigger engine or does the SS have more than I know it does. Because I never really looked into the SS because I didn't have the extra money to spend on it initially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode