HID install - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

HID install

well, these pictures didnt turn out as well as i wanted, my sister in law has my good camera. The lights are worth the money, although they ordered only low beam for me, theyll do until the duals come in. I cant believe how clear they make the road at night!!! anybody else have HID lighting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0097.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0095.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1111  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 07:48 PM

I have HID fogs and Headlights. and now I regret buying them. Don't get my wrong I love them so much!!! I'd never go back. But the problem is that I'll always spend that extra money on them in every car I own from now on!!!

note: good investment.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Eh, crappy beam pattern and poor performance IMHO.

Do it right with a retro.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

yeah, im not too happy after about 2 nights of them. Orange Juice....is it because i do not have the magnifier or some other reaso to why they do not project as far. the brightness is decent, but not as far. any thoughts?????? i think i can retract my previous statement. i should have gone with springs!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM

they arent very bright that would suck
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
After seeing that, i am glad i went with the 8K. much prettier.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
After seeing that, i am glad i went with the 8K. much prettier.
where did you get yours from? have any pics? the car goes back into the shop, im putting the stock bulbs back in! i cant drive without high beams.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 02:19 PM

he bought them off me, they were part of my cobalt parts inventory after i sold it lol. why do you need high beams the HIDS are brighter
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willncandace
yeah, im not too happy after about 2 nights of them. Orange Juice....is it because i do not have the magnifier or some other reaso to why they do not project as far. the brightness is decent, but not as far. any thoughts?????? i think i can retract my previous statement. i should have gone with springs!
The reason why they suck is because your headlights were engineered for halogen bulb use, not HID. HID works completely different than halogen. It emits and creates light completely different. The focal points are different. That is why 9 times out of 10 the results are less than acceptable when people throw HID into halogen designed housings.

that is why people like me utilize OEM HID components such as true HID proejctors out of OE HID cars such as lexus, acura, bmw, etc etc. These projectors are designed specifically for HID use and control the beam properly and even;y distributed. You can't get that with a aftermarket HID "kit" such as the one you have. Yes you would of been better off going with a set of springs for your car than throwing that crap in there. I hate to come off like that but it's the truth. I've been in the lighting game for many many years. I've seen the horror shots of peoples cars with "kits" in them.

Doing it right will get you this performance... (Acura TL projectors + ZKW lens swap for more performance, 4300k OE capsules, OE ballasts )

No my bulbs aren't some constant hideous ricer blue or nasty ass purple. what your seeing here is I placed my camera within my projectors "colorband". This is a section just above the cutoff of the beam that has colors in it from the HID spectrum coming off the shield. This is what you typically see lickering behind you when you see some Audi, BMW, Acura, etc bouncing its light behind you.....

My headlight...

Check out the width and distance I get from these hybrids! Those real small white "blocks" in the distance that my beam is on, those are utility full size vans all the way on the other side of that parking lot that is at least 100+ yards away....

so as you can see, there is a right way and a wrong way to introduce HID lighting into your car. A HID "kit" is NOT want you want as you now are aware.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributing User

your lights are awesome oj. i'm not sure if you have already, but you need to put something together for the cobalts. let us know if you already found something that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode