updates on the skyline - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

updates on the skyline

For those that remember, a local friend of mine is working on his most recent project car, a 1990 Nissan Skyline. It came with the RB20 stock but he has since just swapped it for the RB25. He has 1000cc injectors coming in soon and a few pieces to fab up on the tranny. After that it's going to the track to see what it lays down to get a general idea of where he'll be advancing from. Fun car none the less. He is also ditching the 4 wheel steering since this will be a track car more than anything.

Anyways, here's some progress pics so far...

The RB25 is in!

The pesky wire harness he needed from the RB25 front clip.

I messed around with this in in both RAW (NEF for Nikon whores ) and in CS2. I like the gritty feel of it personally.

Ah the sexpot. 60-1

Of course you need to be able to monitor such vital pressures :thumbsup:

It's beggin' for some of my lovin'

HEH I have nm idea what this says. Nice background

el gate :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Other random pics..

The Z

And THAT wheel :wtf: It's the spare off the 300Z

Pics of his new project car taken a while back. I did not take these but we plan on doing a shoot once its all back together :thumbsup:

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 AM

nice. how did you get that car in the states?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Off
nice. how did you get that car in the states?
It's a track car so he doesn't plan on registering it. It cost $$$$$$$$ to get them legal. The car would have to have and meet all US DOT standards such as tempered glass and other BS.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange juice
It's a track car so he doesn't plan on registering it. It cost $$$$$$$$ to get them legal. The car would have to have and meet all US DOT standards such as tempered glass and other BS.
Its not as expensive as you'd think. In fact, Motorex, the US's first importer/legalizer (there are several places that do it not) takes care of all that for you when the ship it over, so all you have to do is pay, get in, and drive home. I think they only ship to the west coast, but I believe delivery can be arranged for an added cost. On the contrary, you can get just about anything legalized as long as it matches up with the laws in your county and whatnot. Where I live, theres no emissions, and where i'm moving to in about a year, theres no emissions OR inspection. Yeah, there will be a few kinks in along the line with getting a vehicle that isn't in the US's vehicle registry registered....but for a Skyline......there are already so many in the US.......probally in the hundreds by now.......that getting a Skyline registered wouldn't be so tough. Skylines, Silvias, late gen Galant VR-4s, FTOs........etc.....are all becoming more common in the States than you'd think.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSS
Its not as expensive as you'd think. In fact, Motorex, the US's first importer/legalizer (there are several places that do it not) takes care of all that for you when the ship it over, so all you have to do is pay, get in, and drive home. I think they only ship to the west coast, but I believe delivery can be arranged for an added cost. On the contrary, you can get just about anything legalized as long as it matches up with the laws in your county and whatnot. Where I live, theres no emissions, and where i'm moving to in about a year, theres no emissions OR inspection. Yeah, there will be a few kinks in along the line with getting a vehicle that isn't in the US's vehicle registry registered....but for a Skyline......there are already so many in the US.......probally in the hundreds by now.......that getting a Skyline registered wouldn't be so tough. Skylines, Silvias, late gen Galant VR-4s, FTOs........etc.....are all becoming more common in the States than you'd think.
Last I heard, the owner of Motorex wasa arrested months ago for illegaly "legalizing" vehicles here in the US. . A while back I read a lot of nhtsa info on the importing of skylines and stuff including the documents containing what had to be modified to get it to meet federal crash testing etc. To my knoledge the only truely 49 state/federally legal Skylines are something like 96-98 R33's. No R32's, no R34's, no S13/14/15.

Now there are plenty of ways around that issue but just saying what has a US federally issued vin. One of the big issues with Motorex that got them into trouble is the fact that once they took the time etc to get approval to import and legalize they abused the right and slapped a federal vin on all kinds of cars that were not on the approved list.

It also costs more money than you think. I know because I know the owner of this car and know what the loops you have to go thru in order to get the car legally registered and 49-state DOT compliant. Sure many can do as motorex did and just use bunk salvage vins to register cars or list them under a subsiderary company as its own "production number" so it can be registered but alas, its not cheap unlike you think.

You can buy a car from overseas from any importer. He got this car for only $12,500 and it was in running "decent" shape with the RB20 in it. He bought the RB25 front clip with motor for $3500.

You have to realize there is ALOT more to making one 100% legal here in the US than just making it pass emissions or inspections. Thankfully we don't believe in such BS here in the South (right now ) but there is alot more to it than just that. For one, like I first mentioned these cars don't come with tempered safety glass unlike ALL cars are required to have here in the states. So little things your not understanding such as having to replace the entire glass of the vehicle with tempered glass is a MUST if you want it 100% legal. Do you know of any companies making DOT compliant tempered safety glass for a 1990 Skyline?

PS, counties have nothing to do with anything aside from local applicable taxes on registering the car just as any car gets. The state is who makes the laws for ther counties to follow in accordance.

Last edited by orange juice; 08-22-2006 at 09:49 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 PM

lol. i know it takes alot of cash or alot of illigalness to get one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode