Traction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Traction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I has it. 26"x10.5"

Wide enough? And I wear a 12Wide!
hahahaha

26"x10.5"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributing User

please tell me you'r ein god's name not putting those on the cobalt? that's overkill and will actually hurt your time, or when you launch at 6000 rpm you'll break your axles along with multiple other parts
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Contributing User

26 x 10.5 is too big!!! These are 26 x 9.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T.'s. When I got them I had the shop lift my car, install them, and lower it all the way back down. We then turned the wheels lock to lock. These just barely cleared everything in the wheel well and didn't rub. I worked closely with Hoosier in order to make sure that these were the right size. We took measurements, made conversions, etc. This was the closest that they could come up with, and these are slightly larger than the OEM street tire size.

Oh, and thank God we are not turboed. We don't need to launch at 6k. 2k is sufficient. BTW, my next mod happens to be axles.

(sorry about the crappy cell phone pic)

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

what wheels are those that you got the hoosiers on? They look like the same ones I'm getting.

And these tires aren't going to "hurt" me. That's an idiotic comment. they may be a bit large, but they won't hurt me. I got them for 200 bucks and I know 2 guys with ss s/c's already running this size with no problems.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

btw, what kind of 60ft. times do you see with the hoosiers?
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliartist View Post
And these tires aren't going to "hurt" me. That's an idiotic comment. they may be a bit large, but they won't hurt me. I got them for 200 bucks and I know 2 guys with ss s/c's already running this size with no problems.
you're right, i'm an idiot. i also haven't put a cobalt down into the mid 11's. i probably didn't put it near 12 flat without spray. i probably never even been to a track, or built 4 engines total between the twin screw swap (nearly two years ago) and gt-k 450 kit i built to get something that would run consistant.

i'm proabably not in the process of building a 600hp 7mgte supra right now, and i'm probably not considering buying an additional lsj block to build another turbo car with.

so you're right, i'm an idiot. big ass useless 10.5"s on a cobalt will benefit greatly, much more than a smaller tire which is easier to turn on the top end. i will put $500 your traps are low enough to the point where your 60' times do not equate out a consistant benefit. when compared to a tire that has been properly chosen
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

dude. the overall diameter of this setup is not even a half inch taller than stock. I seriously doubt that it "kills" my top end. It will also be a lighter set up. The funny thing is, I got plenty of mechanics telling me this setup will work great, yet I get a couple of internet nerds telling me that I'm stupid and that this will hurt my performance. Hmmmm, who am I to believe?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to WICKED
Quote:
dude. the overall diameter of this setup is not even a half inch taller than stock. I seriously doubt that it "kills" my top end. It will also be a lighter set up. The funny thing is, I got plenty of mechanics telling me this setup will work great, yet I get a couple of internet nerds telling me that I'm stupid and that this will hurt my performance. Hmmmm, who am I to believe?
mechanics FTW =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't think people are arguing weither or not that they will work.

What he is saying is that the extra 1" 9.5 vs 10.5 isn't going to add enough traction to offset the weight difference/driveability in tires.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
the fact that you have to get "mechanics" to tell you they will work, says everything i need to know.

tim lynch uses a 10.5" tire on his mustang that will pull an 1/8 mile wheelie AND on 9.5"s we're in the 9's with 700hp + a 150 shot off the line, that was with about a 4 foot wheelstand

so have your "mechanics" jump on here and explain to me how much better a 10.5" tire is for a less than 300hp car, when you would benefit from a thinner tire that is easier to turn

you could dump your clutch WOT on a well prepped track and after a good burnout with a 10.5" and if your clutch don't slip you will break something, i would bet one of my cars that you would, because you simply do not have the power to turn over a set of 10.5"s

but hey i'm just a nerd, that don't have "mechanics" to tell me what i need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode