Recommended 4-channel amp? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Recommended 4-channel amp?

Here's my setup:

- Pioneer AVIC-D3 deck
- 6.5" Alpine Type-R components up front (SPR-17S)
- Alpine 5.25" Type-R speakers in the rear (SPR-13C)

I am leaning against running a sub, so I want to make sure that my speakers are properly powered. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want the speakers to be run to their full potential or close to it for a reasonable price. Not just running off the deck.

To me, a lot of 4 channel amps seem the same or very similar - I'm just looking to max out my setup without going to a sub setup. I'll probably pick something up on eBay or Craigslist in new or lightly used condition. Alpine, JL Audio, etc. preferred.

Suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributing User

I don't know why you would put 5.25"s in the rear. You can put 6x9"s back there and you really would want to have something of that size if you were to bypass the subwoofer. If you had that size in Type-Rs you should be able to get good bass out of the rears with a 4-channel amp. But with speakers that are that small, I would definitely sub your car.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Contributing User

I had a diamond 4 channel in my sons car that was great for the price. Depending on what paower youre looking for and how much you want to spend it could be for sale. I had 4x6 fosgates in the front, 6x9 fosgates in the back, and 1 12" JL sub in a box I custom built. Sounded really good and hit hard (all in how you build the box). 4 channel amp, use the front channel right side for the front speakers, left side for the rear speakers (dont need all 4 channels, how often to you really use the "balance" feature?) then bridge the rear channels to power the sub.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributing User

Would not recommend doing it that way. You tend to loss sound quality when bridging. If I were to do a sub off the 4 channel, I would amp up the pair of more powerful speakers and then you'd have to bridge the other channels into the sub. The big problem in running a sub and regular speakers off the same amp is that you will have to choose playing the sub as a regular speaker (high and low frequencies) or playing the speakers as a sub (only low frequencies). As far as I know they don't make the channels act independently from each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in