Cobalt gauges - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Cobalt gauges

Anyone know if the instrument cluster from an '05 Cobalt LT with the sport package is compatible with an '05 Cobalt LS? I really want to switch them out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributing User

should be no problem at all. the only diference in clusters in the backgrounds. they might have to reprogram the odometer to the right mileage, but that should be an easy swap.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Could I go to the dealership to get this done?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 AM

just get blackcat customs to make you a set. you can pick one of the premade ones or he will make you whatever you want. this way you only have to change the face, not the entire cluster. will save you lots of money, the faces are only 85 bucks.
http://www.blackcatcustom.com/chevrolet_cobalt.htm
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanx... I appreciate it... would I be able to convert my 120 speedo to a 140 or the SS's 160???

Last edited by KillahKermitt; 10-08-2006 at 07:32 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:58 PM

i dont think that conversion would work.... it would require PCM recalibration or a kit like the cavi kit. use an interceptor scan gauge, thats what i have to do in the silverado
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have upgraded my tires and I was told that I could have my pcm reflashed by the dealership to a higher speed govenor. Would they have to swap out the whole pcm for one with the sport pkg., or can I just have them reprogram it with the new tach I'll get from Black Cat??? But if they can't, would that Interceptor scan gauge work on my 2.2? Because I heard that no one has been able to crack the codes for it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM

im not sure who told you that a dealer would or could change a speed limiter. not only are we incapable of editing things like that, but we wouldnt do it if we could. that makes the dealer liable when your car spins out of control at speeds it never should have seen. until HPTuners supports the 2.2 you are prob out of luck on the speed limiter. i dont think a sport pkg PCM will work, and the VIN wouldnt match, it would be a mess. the gauge cluster from blackcat is just callibrated differently, basically manipulate the needle to correspond with the new speed on the gauge face. im almost positive the interceptor works on the 2.2, but i could be wrong. PM the company, they are vendors on here
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 AM

Hey kelly, how hard is it to install the guage faces from the black cat site? I absolutly love the yellow one and think it would make my car stand out, but I dont want to get into something that i may screw up. any pointers would help.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM

its not that hard, just takes some time. there is only one important thing. i dont know if you have noticed, but after a minute or two after you take the key out of the ignition, the gauges drop and start bouncing a little below the zeros. it is very important that the cluster be removed while they are still on zero, and then plug it in to make sure it stays there. heres a basic run thru of the install:
-remove the two screws underneath the dash overhang(in front of gauges). pop each top side of the lower dash paneling off(right underneath the silver trim, on left and right of steeringwheel). remove two 7mm bolts. the cluster trim is now free to remove(make sure to put the steering column all the way down before trying to remove this)
-next, take the 4 10mm bolts off holding the cluster to the dash. reach behind the cluster and unplug the wiring harness. remove cluster from car
-gently pry the 4 plastic tabs on the clear gauge cover up, and remove the plastic face.
-get a marker and mark on the white cluster surface(not the gauge overlay) where the needles are pointing. just follow the tip until you see the white edges, then mark. make sure to have a definate amount of fuel, this makes things much eaiser(exactly 1/2 tank, exactly 1/4 tank, etc)
-with two slim objects (dull knives work great) gently and evenly pry the base of each needle upwards. (only twist counterclockwise if you cant remove by simply prying). pull the gauge face off, and install the new one. repeat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in