Need help istalling an after market amp - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Need help istalling an after market amp

I got an amp for Christmas and I am going to install it this weekend. I just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what did you do to bypass the factory amp. The amp is a Kenwood KAC-6402 4 channel amp. Any would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing User

I used the factory amp with my aftermarket h/u quite successfully. You can check out my how to here. Look through the pictures at the end and I have a few of the stock amp pulled out of its stock location. You could tap into the stock wiring for speaker wiring and possibly even the RCAs for input. You would just grab the signal from the stock h/u and solder on the RCA ends like I did. I don't believe you have to run a line level converter, but I haven't checked the power/voltage coming from the h/u to confirm that. For best results I would rewire the speakers with higher gauge wire to get the most from your new amp, but that will be a lot of work. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to CoBIZZLE
I agree, they should be low level outputs on that radio... if it was designed properly... harley seems to have his head on straight about this stuff so if you have any questions, let me or him know and we can help ya out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributing User

Did you have to give up your steering wheel audio controls? Only reason I didnt want to replace factory H/U.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing User

Yeah I gave them up. There is some hardware available that can be plugged into the harness that will emulate your remote using the steering wheel controls. I didn't get it because it is pricey. I know Cobizzle has mentioned it before and seems to know a lot about it. Try calling up some local audio stores ore a Best Buy and see if they have any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in