subs and amp ? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

subs and amp ?

is there any way to install an aftermarket sub and amp set witht the stock h/u on an 07 with the poineer 7speaker system? i have 2 12's and a 600watt amp that i have from my old 94 s10 blazer that i dont want to get rid of and i want to put it in my new balt if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributing User

I don't know how big your box is, but you may have some trouble fitting it in the trunk. The balt has a very small trunk opening if you haven't noticed already. If it is too big it could be possible to fit it in the backseats by removing the seatbacks and the decklid or you may have to build a new one.

In regards to catching a signal, the easiest way would be to pull out the stock sub and use a high level line converter on the sub leads to get the low level (RCA) signal. The stock head unit also uses a low level signal to communicate with the amp, but it sends the typical F/R, L/R singals of a stock h/u. The amp acts as the crossover for the speakers, so you could get an unaltered signal here and tune your sub as you see fit.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense to you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

i know the box is fairly large and i will have to put it in from the back seats not the truck lid... as far as the wireing goes ur basically saying i need this converter to convert the f/r l/r to a single output. can i just tap into my rear speakers for the power for the signal? theres no rca's running to the factory amp/sub? as for wireing, its okay to just tap the power and ground directly to the battery in the trunk right? and also what about a remote signal for the amp to turn it on when the stock HU comes on?

Last edited by 007BALT-SS; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BALT-SS View Post
as far as the wireing goes ur basically saying i need this converter to convert the f/r l/r to a single output. can i just tap into my rear speakers for the power for the signal?
If you tap into the line going from the H/U to the amp you will not need the converter because I believe they are already a low level input. Meaning it has the same signal as an RCA. It would be an unfiltered signal as well (except for what you can control in the H/U; bass, treble, etc.). If you are going to tap into anything in the trunk I would tap into the wire running into the sub rather than the rear speakers.
Personally, I always suggest, for the cobalts, to replace your factory h/u if you want to run subs. It will be that much better and if you follow my h/u how to you can install it and keep your factory amp for under $50, if you make your own harness.

Quote:
theres no rca's running to the factory amp/sub?
No, GM uses the standard harness to send a low level signal (RCA) to the amp. Essentially with the non Pioneer sound system those wires run to the speakers, but with the Pioneer they are split at the amp and the low level travels to the amp and the high level signal (speaker signal) travels from the amp the rest of the way.

Quote:
as for wireing, its okay to just tap the power and ground directly to the battery in the trunk right?
Yeah. That is what is nice about having the battery in the trunk.

Quote:
and also what about a remote signal for the amp to turn it on when the stock HU comes on?
This is actually difficult with the stock amp. GM uses their new wiring system (named GMLAN) in the cobalt and it doesn't use the traditional remote turn on. You will have to grab an accesory power to turn the amp on and off with the car. I don't know of anyway to turn it on and off with the stock H/U. I go over that in my how to as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode