07 SS/SC New Bombz intake and getting check engine light.... first mod, help! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

07 SS/SC New Bombz intake and getting check engine light.... first mod, help!

Ok so i installed a bomz intake that i got off ebay. i put it on, fired the car up, and it ran awesome and sounded sweet. the CEL didnt go off while driving about 15 miles to work but did when i took the car out for lunch. now im trippin.
what could be going on here?
everything looks correct in there so i'm at a loss for what the problem is. i've heard several things about this but just wanted to get a lil extra input from you guys.
thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 AM

i will guess the car is running lean or rich because of the intake, or a vaccum leak.
or i could be 100% WRONG. and that won't be new with me...

if you want something else, performace speaking, get it and at the tune it and they will make every thing run like it should, even you can run catless and still no CEL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

ok, took her to autozone, got the code cleared. It was the "running rich" code p0172 i beleive. I don't think there is anything else i can do to fix that condition other than going back to stock intake.

If someone tells me something i can do to make that stop and still not void any warranties, i'd do it. Otherwise, im going back to stock and i'm done putting any mods on this car.
I HATE check engine lights. I don't drive cars with the CEL on. Bothers me. Plus the car runs like monkey piss with that intake on. stock was so much better

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
whats why i dont buy any car parts off of ebay.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Contributing User

bombz isnt a good intake, they throw stuff together and dont test it, spend the extra money and get it from a copany thats been around, injen, aem, k&n... list goes on

09 White LSD 4 Door SS
GMPP Stage Kit

Hahn intake, charge pipes, and cat back
ttr motor mount, CIA downpipe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Contributing User

It's the MAF placement. You can try unplugging your battery for about 15 minutes. When you reconnect it, the light will be off. Your computer needs to learn the new airflow coming in.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend taking that filter that came with it, and doing the Airbox Mod. It may not look as cool, but you will still get the same effect (Sound, Performance)

Just my .02

2007 SS/SC
O T T P TVS Stage 3 w/ 2.9" & 80# inj., ZZP 3" CAI, ZZP Stainless Mid-Length Header w/ 3" Catted DP, ZZP Stainless 3" Magnaflow Cat-Back, O T T P Heat Exchanger, Opt B, TTR Upper Engine Mount
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Contributing User

The MAF answer is correct, the computer will learn to a point, but if the code keeps coming back you will need a tune to calibrate the MAF to the airflow of the intake, and by it running rich I suspect your new intake is not flowing that well or the MAF location is wrong. Almost everytime I have seen an intake related code it is lean. 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode