08 cobalt SS/TC exhaust? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to kromko52
08 cobalt SS/TC exhaust?

im putting on a magnaflow cat with a DP from modernperformence? do i need a tune for the exhaust? and if i do where can i get one so it doesnt cost me and arm and a leg i live in PA if that helps but help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributing User

Getting any exhaust work doesn't require a tune.

However, your power gains will be short of what you could achieve if you got it tuned....

There are tons of companies that do SS tuning...most of which don't require you to dyno your car...

Trifecta and ZZP are jsut a couple I can name right off.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to TurboTechRacing
Consider a full downpipe an exhaust from Hahn, top quality and you will see a better increase in power.

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Contributing User

Trifecta can hook you up with a tune and price is very reasonable! A tune is by far your biggest bang-for-buck mod you can possibly do. Also like the others said, you don't need to tune for an exhaust per say, but if you want to achieve the most out of it you will need tuned.

08' SRTC SS
Mods :: GMS1 KIT/TRIFECTA SELECTABLE TUNE :: CIA Catted DP :: CIA CP :: K&N Drop-in ::
TRIFECTA PERFORMANCE DEALER - ERIE, PA
(100 miles from Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh)

PM FOR TUNE/DETAILS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to kromko52
im not worried bout that what im worried about is running rich loseing gas that is my main concern
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Contributing User

This car runs pig friggin rich from the factory...any exhaust work would do nothing but HELP....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Contributing User

exhaust doesn't require it, however, with a downpipe (catless) you should def be tuned. Otherwise, after consecutive WOT pulls your ECM will start dumping fuel making your car run too rich. Or get it and just don't get on it alot?????

'09 ss/tc white sedan
lsd, matte black wheels, black headlights, smoked taillights, Hahn CAI, custom catless dp, custom exhaust, Injen CP, trifecta multi-stage tune, dejon bpv spring
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
This car runs pig friggin rich from the factory...any exhaust work would do nothing but HELP....
So after tuning would you say you achieve better fuel mileage? I'd imagine that factory tunes run conservative in case of bad fuel to prevent going too lean. I just got my '10 TC 2 days ago and I noticed that it sucks more fuel than I'd expect of a 2.0 when driving normally (not boosting). How much does a tune cost?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by standard_1664 View Post
So after tuning would you say you achieve better fuel mileage? I'd imagine that factory tunes run conservative in case of bad fuel to prevent going too lean. I just got my '10 TC 2 days ago and I noticed that it sucks more fuel than I'd expect of a 2.0 when driving normally (not boosting). How much does a tune cost?
Well the factory tune is rich because they have too make sure they are providing a safe tune for every region of the united states. You have to remember that temperature and sea level, etc play big roles in air fuel ratio and all. So since they can only offer one tune for the vehicle it's super rich making it safe for everywhere. While the tune is really safe, it makes for crappy performance. If you get re tuned, they are going to lean it out a bit (still plenty safe enough) and also take into consideration what mods you have like exhaust, intakes, etc. Most places can also add boost if you'd like which yields a lot more power (obviously). A tune alone with no mods could get you at LEAST 35 - 40 HP/Torque. With mods and a tune 60+ is easily achievable. ZZperformance offers a tune for $200. Many members here (including myself) have this tune and have NO problems with it. Plus, those guys (and gals) there are really nice and always easy to get in touch with if you have any problems. www.zzperformance.com

To say it would be better fuel efficient AFTER a tune? I really doubt it. To be honest, I don't find theses cars burn much gas at all if you keep theses things in mind:

-If your in boost a lot, it's gonna suck down gas like a V8.
-If you're doing a lot of around town driving, it's gonna burn more.
-Also, theses cars have tiny gas tanks compared to trucks and SUV's. So what that means is while you may burn a half tank going the same distance as a V8 when he burns a half tank, you've still only burned HALF the amount of gas because the fuel tank on a V8 vehicle is double the size of ours.

Hope some of that helps.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm talking about fuel mileage without boosting. Still would be the same after tuning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode