Just shaved 30 lbs for free - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via MSN to meldog21
Just shaved 30 lbs for free

Well, it was kind of free since I had a spare GM tire kit for my Z06 laying around. I figured that if the Z06 doesn't need a spare tire the SS doesn't need one either. Especially since the space saver spare will only fit on the back wheels of the SS. Basically, trade out the spare tire for a tire repair kit and save 30 lbs.

I took out the spare, jack, and mounting screw and weighed it, 35 lbs. I weighed the GM kit + a tire plug kit, 5 lbs. Even though the GM kit comes with a b***le of tire slime I prefer to use a plug, and besides I probably don't want slime in there with the tire pressure monitors. So the difference between the stock spare and the GM kit results in a 30 lb loss of weight out of the car. If I removed the slime it would probably save one more pound.

I velcro'd and bungee'd the GM kit then placed some old packing Styrofoam (from a tv or stereo) above the kit to support the trunk carpet/tire cover. So far it appears to be working like a charm.

For anyone considering this mod I'm guessing you won't have a spare GM tire kit laying around. You can find a cigarette lighter socket powered air compressor on flea bay for $10-30. Basically the same thing as the GM kit without the slime.

30 lbs less is a permanent performance improvement. It improves gas mileage, acceleration, braking, and turning, all the time. It's free, or nearly free.

Here are some pics:

The other option is to lose 30 pounds off your body to achieve the same result. My guess is that most people would rather take out the spare tire rather than going through the effort to remove their own spare tire.

Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldog21
The other option is to lose 30 pounds off your body to achieve the same result. My guess is that most people would rather take out the spare tire rather than going through the effort to remove their own spare tire.
lol dude lol
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Contributing User

every hundred pounds you shed is like a 1/10th off your quarter times .
a week on crack an you could gain a 1/2 sec. lol

new toy an new build for 2010 :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributing User

Eh...30 lbs isn't going to get you ANY time difference on the track...I'd rather keep my spare. lol
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via MSN to meldog21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
Eh...30 lbs isn't going to get you ANY time difference on the track...I'd rather keep my spare. lol
Really? Maybe you should just add 30 pounds, or 300 pounds, if it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry for the idea. Sometimes when I post on the Cobalt forums I forget that there are only like 4 or 5 guys here that have any road race experience.

Keep adding bling, weight, and motor mods. I'll see you later sometime, in my mirrors.

Dog
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Contributing User

For all your "road racing" experience you obviously don't know much of sh*t about racing...

If you did, you'd know that it takes 100 pounds to get 1/10 of a second off your time....so 30 pounds?....that didn't do you anything...at all....but when your stuck on the side the highway in your mean racing machine that's 30 pounds lighter than factory with no spare...have fun...idiot.

Do yourself a favor and lose 30 pounds off yourself...you'd be better off...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldog21 View Post
Really? Maybe you should just add 30 pounds, or 300 pounds, if it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry for the idea. Sometimes when I post on the Cobalt forums I forget that there are only like 4 or 5 guys here that have any road race experience.

Keep adding bling, weight, and motor mods. I'll see you later sometime, in my mirrors.

Dog
WOW I really overlooked this whole motor mod part of your ridiculous post.
So what your saying is adding motor mods just adds to the weight of your vehicle and yields no performance gains while taking out your spare tire and cutting out a wimpy 30 pounds is the way to go...man you are truly stupid.
At that rate, the only thing you could possibly be beating in your "road races" is kids on bicycles...

-ZZPerformance 3" catless downpipe
-ZZPerformance tune (21PSI)
-Dejon short ram intake
-Dejon intercooler piping
-Full 3" custom exhaust
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
The HepKitty

play nice boys....

any reasonable weight reduction even if small is good, as it all adds up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the Bop that never Stopped...
Chantilly Lace - The Rolling Rockabilly Jukebox..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
all i have to say i still have my spare tire. but i can feel the differents in my car even when i have my paintball bag in the car, and thats only maybe 40lb. I think this is ok idea. not the best but i still agree with it.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributing User

Wow....
I literally feel no difference when I have someone in my passenger seat or not...
If I have a car full, yeah. I feel a difference. So if you can feel a difference in 30 - 40pounds...it's seriously in your head...

If you were a good enough driver to run CONSISTENTLY EVERY time you went to the track (I'm talking no different than a few tenths difference each run, you'd see that with or without the spare you will run the EXACT same time...

So even though you would run the EXACT same time you'd just rather not have a spare tire for just in case something were to happen and you needed it....that's just so smart...I guess it's just over my head...

-ZZPerformance 3" catless downpipe
-ZZPerformance tune (21PSI)
-Dejon short ram intake
-Dejon intercooler piping
-Full 3" custom exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode