i upgraded a few things, now hesitates sometimes, please help! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

i upgraded a few things, now hesitates sometimes, please help!

I have a 2005 cobalt ss/sc. I bought the GM stage 1 upgrade for it, then later was looking into buying stage 2. I decided to look around online for a smaller sc pulley for the car to get more horsepower out of it then the one GM offered. I went with a 2.6 inch pulley instead of the GM stage 2 which i believe is 3.25 inch. It was running like a complete beast for awhile, still does but in the higher RPMS it like chugs, or hesitates and sometimes almost feels like the belt is slipping. I had the Belt replaced, now i am getting a feeling that it is starving for fuel, anyone have any idea? maybe i just need another ECU upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 AM
The HepKitty

a pulley of that size requires bigger fuel injectors and a tune. You are probably running your car dangerously lean in the upper rpms. good way to fry a piston.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the Bop that never Stopped...
Chantilly Lace - The Rolling Rockabilly Jukebox..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Contributing User

Put on the stage 2 pulley, as said the 2.6 is way too small without 60lb injectors and some serious cooling mods. IE Meth inj. heat exchanger and or dual pass.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Garage
Ok so what would be the smallest pulley possible to run with out upgrading the stock injectors??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Garage
Oh, so nobody knows?? So sad, really wanted to get into power pretty soon and make my SC semi-slowpoke instead of a turd....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
The HepKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSStreak View Post
Ok so what would be the smallest pulley possible to run with out upgrading the stock injectors??
anytime you add more boost, you must compensate by adding more fuel, or a lean condition under boost can occur, frying a piston.

3.25 is possibly the smallest you can run with stock injectors, which isn't that much different then the stock 3.35 pulley. The stock system is close to being maxed out already, meaning the injectors are running a high duty cycle with not much more room to add fuel as boost levels increase. Now I know people have run smaller, but they do so at their own risk. I am very much into power, but I seek safe reliable power.

Personally I think one is limited by the m62 supercharger, you start getting this above 17psi and its efficiency really suffers.

to run a 2.6 inch pulley requires many mods, such as atleast 60lb injectors, headers, improving the intercooling system, possible head work/cams. Cold Range spark plugs, ect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the Bop that never Stopped...
Chantilly Lace - The Rolling Rockabilly Jukebox..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Garage
I like running safe reliable power as well because I would like to have my SS for quite some time....

And yes the M62 is very limited but I will just have to deal with what I have until I really get serious. I kind of like to do things the right way the first time because cutting corners in reality does not safe any money. Thanks for the info MT....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode